5.0 out of 5 stars Billy Joel at the pinnacle of his creativeness
Published on 1 Mar 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars for the music but not for the product...
SACDs are a premium product and therefore command premium prices over ordinary CDs. You would therefore expect the packaging of the disc to be commensurately high quality but, in this case that is definitely not the case. No plastic jewel case to protect the disc just a cheap cardboard gatefold sleeve. The quality of the disc itself and the recording is excellent however...
Published 21 months ago by Doug Reid

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Billy Joel at the pinnacle of his creativeness, 1 Mar 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: 52Nd Street (Audio CD)
This brilliant jazzy and atmospheric album is a great example of Billy Joel's excellent songwriting talent. Every song is a gem. The album opens with the brash "Bigshot", journeys through the sensitivity of "Honesty", "Until the Night" and "Rosalinda Eyes", the catchy tunes of "My Life" (his smash hit) and "Half a Mile a Way", the jazziness of "Zanzibar" and "Stilleto" , finally a bluesy epilogue of the title track. This is a great album featuing some great jazz artists including Michael Brecker. The grammy award for album of the year says it all. This is a classy album and a must for anyone who likes Billy Joel.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Old Favourite!, 19 Dec 2009
Avid Reader "DMP" (North Yorkshire, ENGLAND) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 52Nd Street (Audio CD)
Having had this album in LP format years ago I decided to purchase it on a CD as I always loved it. Even after all these years it does not disappoint. In my opinion Billy Joel is an underrated composer and performer on this side of the Atlantic. He is extremely talented and this album is one of his greats. I'm a jazz fanatic and his love of this genre definitely comes through in some of these titles. My favourite is "Zanzibar" which I can never get out of my head when I've played it a couple of times - it stays for days. I also love "Rosalinda's Eyes", but seriously, every track is great and I recommend this CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another fantastic addition to your Joel collection to treasure- from 1978,, 3 July 2014
This review is from: 52Nd Street (Audio CD)
Another fantastic Billy Joel album-- with Joel continuing his rocking of the world in 1978.
He added a jazzy feel to his classic rock in this one which features such classics as the lively "Big Shot", the heartfelt "Honesty", and the assertive teenage statement of youth "My Life".
Another fantastic addition to your Joel collection to treasure.

4.0 out of 5 stars An improved classic, although shame it's not a multichannel release, 2 Nov 2012
Dabbler - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: 52nd Street (Audio CD)
This is a review of the SACD version of this disc.

I bought this after realising that several older Billy Joel albums had seen re-released on SACD and I've liked his music for years. It should be noted that this a hybrid stereo CD/SACD version not the multi-channel disc. It's unfortunate that they have decided not to re-release that version as it's expensive to buy now.

Initially I was disappointed, the sound quality of this disc seems very limited in the treble response. The vocals are very warm and close sounding, although I would think it represents very well what was recorded at the time. The opening track 'Big Shot' does lack the wow factor that I was expecting. That said it's been years since I listened to the original CD, it makes me want to go back and listen to that disc to compare.

On later tracks I was really starting to get absorbed by the music, in particular by the time I had got to 'Half a Mile away' I was really starting to appreciate the music. Then I came to a real revelation, 'Until the Night'. I must have heard this track at least a dozen times before from regular CD. This time it gave me goosebumps, the sense of immersion was absolute, the fact that this wasn't a 5.1 disc didn't matter. I was listening to this disc on headphones and it felt like the music was coming from all sides, just amazing.

I now want to go back and listen again, and I have ordered more SACD discs both stereo and multi-channel. Time to rediscover some classics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Billy Joel at his peak, 29 Jun 2014
Alan Frehley - See all my reviews
This review is from: 52Nd Street (Audio CD)
This was my first foray into Billy Joel, unless you count Barry Whites' cover of 'Just the Way You Are'.
The fantastic My Life was constantly played on the radio, and I took a chance on this album........one of the best decisions I made in 1978!
I loved the opening big guitar sound of Big Shot, through to the jazzy sounds of Zanzibar. The ONLY song that doesn't work for me is Rosalindas Eyes which is pretty ropey, almost like AOR radio friendly mush in comparison to the other tracks on this excellent album.
A great line up and an outstanding saxophone solo from Richie Cannata on 'Until The Night'. Great production from Phil Ramone as well.
Overall, a 9.5/10 from me...........only let down by Rosalindas Eyes.

5.0 out of 5 stars 52nd Street, 5 Jun 2014
This review is from: 52nd Street (Audio CD)
Another great collection of songs from The Piano Man himself ...great value for money and a must have for all Joel fans...

5.0 out of 5 stars Billy Joels Finest, 6 Mar 2014
Mr. M. Lucas "micthetic" (Salford, Lancs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 52Nd Street (Audio CD)
This album, along with The Stranger, were Joel at his very best.
I think between these two albums you'd have the majority of a Greatest Hits compilation.
Its testimony to his abilities that on his tour with eElton John he was seen to be the one with the most energy and charisma.

5.0 out of 5 stars really good remastering, 21 Jan 2014
This review is from: 52Nd Street (Audio CD)
impressive work on this remastering, wow... these good old songs with this sound, what a pleasure !
listen to that !

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality., 12 Jan 2014
This review is from: 52nd Street (MP3 Download)
I have owned this piece of music since the early 1980s and I love the songs, the music, and the whole album is great. Unfortunately the original CD sounded muddy so, with regret, I paid to have the MP3 download. For the price of a pint and a half of beer I now have a quality recording. What a shame the original suppliers of a CD that cost several pints years ago couldn't have offered this service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Memory Lane, 26 July 2013
This review is from: 52Nd Street (Audio CD)
Have tickets for Bille Joel in Manchester. Wanted to hear some of his songs again before the concert. Loved the CD.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›