4.0 out of 5 stars Everything a gay period romance should be.
Published on 3 Dec 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars An unusual yet very entertaining read.
Published on 6 Jan 2000

4.0 out of 5 stars Everything a gay period romance should be., 3 Dec 1999
This review is from: Fortunes of War (Paperback)
Having read quite a few of Mel Keegan's books before I hit on this one, I knew pretty much what to expect - his own take on a time where Love and War between Men was an integral ( albeit often hidden) part of life. However, I didn't expect the to be presented with two totally enchanting protagonists. Dermot the Irish Spanish mercenary is right up there with the great romantic leads - a cross between Heathcliff and Mr.Darcy. While Robert or Robin is a nobleman's youngest and fairest son, and comes from the intelligent, sensitive but strong school of heroes like Indiana Jones and McGyver. The story takes them through arguably one of history's most romantic periods - the Renaissance, through the time of Shakespeare and Elizabeth 1 and Philip's Spanish Armarda. Both men are extremely passionate about each other, and take the opportunity to express it physically and emotionally whenever they can, although Keegan does shows some restraint with the corniness. There is plenty of humour, adventure, angst, honour and love for everyone, and it is extremely difficult not to enjoy yourself if you're willing to let go of some literary snobbery. You even learn a few things about the period. I just hope he produces another set of heroes as 'do-able' as these in equally entertaining circumstances.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hey, Sailor!, 24 Jun 1999
This review is from: Fortunes of War (Paperback)
Mel Keegan is one of my guilty pleasures. He's not a great writer, but he IS entertaining as hell. Sure his historical novels are a little corny and a little silly, but they are so much fun, who cares? I mean, pirate romances?! This is the story of a half-breed gentleman pirate who falls in love with the innocent son of an English earl--and their rollicking adventures over the bounding main. Like nearly all Keegan's stuff there is plenty of action (sex and sword play)and romance. Other than about five clumsy pages of boring narrative right in the middle of the big reunion scene--I think pacing is Keegan's main problem--other than THAT, this is a fun, fast read and highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars An unusual yet very entertaining read., 6 Jan 2000
This review is from: Fortunes of War (Paperback)
I had only read this authors science fiction books prior to stumbling across this title in my local bookstore, buried in a corner like so many Lesbian & Gay sections. At first I did'nt like the idea of this book, being a confirmed sci-fi buff. I was reluctant to give it a go but I was pleased from the outset. This book has pace and a plot, not just gay sex, believe it or not. Although the later is present but in quantaties that sound realistic and readable. The interaction between the two main characters is convincing if some what predictable, overall a good read considering how poorly Mr Keegan got started with Ice, Wind and Fire.

Fortunes of War