After some recent pain issues I visited a physiotherapy who recommended two things: 1) Take up yoga and 2) buy the back magic.

For £20 I figured why not give it a go, after all it's not often such a product gets recommended by an industry expert. The back magic itself could be described as just two bits of plastic. But that would do this an injustice, it is actually very sturdy and very comfortable to lie on. You can set it to different heights depending on how much of a stretch you'd like.

Interestingly it really doesn't look like it would do much and I was a little skeptical upon first putting it on the floor that it would actually help.

However, follow the instructions and you'll be amazed at just how effective this little bit of kit really is. 5 minutes on this give you a really deep stretch, and I was using the lowest possible setting! Working in an office, sitting at a desk all day, I've clearly bent my spin forwards, with this I can feel it stretching back the other way and the pain I had has reduced after several months regular use.

I would recommend this to anyone looking for a very quick and easy way to stretch your back, but I would also say that if you can combine this with trips to a local yoga class you will generally feel lots better, as you won't just be doing a single stretch.

This is easy to pack away when you're not using it and is portable enough to take out of the house (eg on holiday) if you're finding using it beneficial each day. Given the low price I fully recommend it.
0Comment|233 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 October 2014
I have been an amazon shopper for 7 years now I have never written a review. However I am compelled on this occasion to write one. I have been suffering from acute back pain (prolapsed disc) for 6 years now, seen specialists and physics and no one can help!
I did some research and ordered this product. Honestly, it arrived today, I've barely used it for half hour and I feel much better already. Hope i have spoken to soon!

What an amazing piece of kit. Literally realigns your back to the natural state. Buy this, I promise you won't regret it. Bargain, I am willing to pay triple the price for the relief that I feel.
on 9 November 2010
I play rugby and after a game in the front row and heavy training at the gym my back can be realy tight. This works very well to releave that.
on 10 December 2010
These kind of back stretchers always looked interesting to me so I thought I'd give one a try.

When you put it on the floor and lay on it, it really doesn't look like it would do much- but boy does it- these things can really stretch your back! In fact its downright deceiving how much of a stretch one actually gets. Go for positions 2 and 3 only after you're really comfortable with position 1.

I, like others, found several things out right away. First, you'll need a pillow to support your head. I don't know how the lady in some of the pictures is able to tolerate that position- maybe she's really one of those CPR dolls you practice on? Without a pillow, your head tilts back and can make you a little dizzy. A therapist told me that this is because your vertebral arteries (which help get blood to your head) "thread" through your neck vertebrae, and in some people, when you tilt your head back too much/too long, they can get pinched somewhat which can decrease the flow of blood to your head and make you a little dizzy- so just be careful and make sure to grab a pillow before you lay down.

The other thing I found out is that you have to "play around" with the positioning. For some people who are really tight, they'll just lay down and hit it right the first time- but this won't be everybody. Expect to spend a few minutes tinkering around with it (by sliding it up and down which is easy to do) to find your sweet spot- that being where its most comfortable/where you feel the best stretch. Those who just throw the thing on the floor and just lay on it expecting miracles to happen might be a little disappointed with the product.

The back popping thing. A therapist also told me that this happens when the tiny joints in your back seperate a little- same as when you pop your knuckle. This is a good thing because the "pop" usually brings pain relief for a lot of people. And since the pop means that the joint has seperated a bit, that stretches the joint capsule (the tissue around the joint) and that means you're actually loosening things up as well. Probably the best way to get the pop is to bring your knees up towards your chest as you're laying on the extender, OR you can try laying on it, and get your feet/knees into the position like you're going to do a sit up, and then roll your knees together either to the left or right down to the floor. In any event, don't force anything, and some people's back are simply harder to pop than others depending on how/where they're tight. Either way you're still stretching out your back.

An interesting piece of equipment, the Bodi-Tek Back Magic should benefit many if used properly. One note though. The extender will stretch, relax your back, and make it more flexible- but it won't do a thing to strengthen it. For that, suggest Treat Your Own Spinal Stenosis for some good, evidence-based back exercises.
44 comments|131 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 January 2015
I have suffered from backaches/pains since pulling tree out of the ground in my garden! My neighbor recommended this and raved about it!I have had mine for a while now and use it often. Highly recommend it however you need to be patient and use it at the correct settings and for the correct period at a time.
on 7 May 2013
Well you'd never think such a simple piece of kit could work so well, it really is surprising.

It's just two pieces of thick black plastic, one of which slots into the other to give a raised arch. There are 3 available slots so you can make the arch very shallow (position 1) or increasingly arched in positions 2 and 3. They recommend you start in position 1.

Basically all you do is slot it into position 1, then sit down on the floor and pull the broad base towards you until it rests against your back. Lean back and lie flat so the plastic arch lies under the arch of your back, and try and relax so your spine arches around it gently and naturally. Lie there for one minute and you're done! Repeat once in the morning when you get up and once before you go to bed. Takes no effort, but it's working for me.

I've had a damaged lower back since I was about 14. It's fine but every now and then it will "go" ... something simple and unexpected, like a sneeze, will put my back out and then it takes me several very painful days before it starts to settle. Slipped disk, prolapsed vertebra, ruptured disk, trapped nerve - they call it a lot of things, they are all the same thing. Every now and again my weak cartilage disk will rupture: the soft chewy middle bit burst out of the tough shell where the weakness lies, and that soft centre presses on the spinal nerve, and down I go, squeaking in agony! Takes a few days to repair itself and stop pressing on the nerve.

I've been to a chiropractor who has helped, firstly by clicking my back (which I didn't like but I suspect is probably a good thing) and thereafter he kept putting me in traction for up to 20 minutes per session, which was uncomfortable but felt like it was doing the right thing by aligning my spine correctly. This little gadget does what the traction does, but in a much easier way.

What it basically does is to keep training your back to get into its correct posture, instead of slumping or slouching, which is what we tend to do normally.

The surprising bit is how quickly it seems to work, given that the most I ever do with it is to lie back for up to 5 minutes in the morning and 5 minutes at night. Not much effort in that work-out!

I'm fairly quickly on to position 2, but it took me a week or more before I could fully relax in that position. The arch is much higher than position 1, and I found I was twitching or spasming a little, and couldn't get my back to fully relax around the curve of the plastic. However, after about a week, it did relax, and now it's easy and actually pleasant. I can just lie down on it, close my eyes and relax for 5 minutes. I've never lain there for more than 5 minutes, and they don't suggest you need to.

Getting off it can be a slow business though! They recommend rolling off it to one side, and I either do that or very slowly and gently pull myself up (hands under my knees) to a sitting position. However you do it, you've got no choice but to do it slowly and carefully as your back feels like it's seized up in the arched position! But that feels like it must be working properly, so I kind of like that.

I don't think I'll want or need ever to try position 3, as I'm not a supple guy and I'm no spring chicken (60 in just over a year) although I'm reasonably fit and I think my bones are fairly good. No osteoporosis that I'm aware of, just this damn backache. And that damn backache has gone away now, and I'd like to think that regular use of this little gizmo will keep it functioning better and stop - or at least delay or minimise - my back going again.

So far it's doing well. Only been 3 months, but I've not felt any twinges or aches so far, and I'm happy at that. So much so that I bought two more for two of my friends who also have bad backs, and we'll see if it helps them too. At this price there really isn't anything to lose, so it's definitely worth giving it a try if you've got an aching back or bad posture or like me have both of the above plus you slip a disk periodically. Even if it just delays me slipping a disk for a few months or eases general backache, it will be worth it. It does recommend checking with your doctor etc if you do have a damaged back or osteoporosis or something which may be easily damaged by lying over an arch.

One of my 2 friends, who has had a bad back since he was young, said he uses it in a chair on position 1 to slip down behind his back and help him sit up straighter. I haven't tried this and to be honest I don't think I can be bothered to do so. As it stands, it stays on my bedroom floor in the corner of the room and its dead easy just to slot it together and lie on it for a couple of minutes before getting up, unclipping it and carrying on with life.

Anyway that's my 2p worth (or 2d worth as it was then). So far, I do recommend this thing, hope it keeps working for me
on 19 October 2010
Have had a bad back for a month or two and had visited a Physio but I still had pain. I was searching for an Inverter when I
noticed the Bodi-Tek and read the reviews which were glowing, so I purchased one. At first it gave me pain so I used it for a minute and built up slowly to 5 minutes. It took nearly 3 weeks to get relief but now I am back to normal and am relaxed about using it twice a day. Can not understand how such a small shaped piece of plastic can can give so much relief! Brilliant.
on 25 November 2012
I have now had this product several months and think it is fantastic. I get bad sciatica from time to time which results in my left foot going numb and I cannot stand for any length of time. I do have a stretching routine which helps greatly but this bit of kit is just magical. Since purchasing it I have been completely pain free. The first few uses were uncomfortable and I was not sure it was working but then by the end of the first week wow did it make a difference to my overall back mobility.
I now use it on the second setting for 5 mins just four times a week. Since purchasing it two friends with back problems have also made the purchase with similar results.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 31 January 2012
I pulled some muscles in my back pretty badly about a year ago and while I recovered over several weeks, I was left with definite problems with my back afterward. Sitting in my chair at work (while adaptable) was painful and I couldn't sit normally, I had to twist my body so I would sit in it on my side. Worse was when I was driving for any length of time, usually an hour, where my back muscles would be in spasms and I couldn't lean the seat back to ease it. And when I got out of the car it'd be hell to bend back into shape. Clearly something had to be done.

I looked into back treatments and saw this product offering relief for twenty quid. If it works only half well it'd be worth the money from the relief.

The item comes in two pieces, the stand and the flexible piece of plastic that makes up the curve. Setting up is easy, the flexible part is bent into the slot and stays firmly there. Then you put it on the floor and lie down upon it.

It doesn't look like much but I immediately felt things when I lay down on it. It's painful at first and I wouldn't recommend more than a minute or two on it (they recommend a maximum of five minutes, twice or maybe three times a day). I didn't notice too drastic a change the following day. I did it in the morning, this time managing the full five minutes, and then in the evening, managing about three and a half minutes. Then it was the third day and I began to notice a lack of stiffness in moving about. At home I didn't immediately rush to the sofa to lie down but sat on the chair and didn't find it painful. Getting out of bed wasn't hard either. The dull throbbing that was in my lower back wasn't there anymore.

A month after buying this I can say this product works, really works. Driving is no longer an issue, sitting in my office chair isn't an issue, I continue to use this every day though now it's just five minutes in the evening and I don't have any more back pain. It's an amazing product and I definitely recommend this product to people with back pain, for twenty quid it is an inexpensive and invaluable way to treat your back.
on 12 November 2010
I occasionally suffer with a painful lower back brought on by sitting in an office all day with obviously poor posture and was looking for a product that could alleviate my pain. I went for the Bodi-Tek Back Magic initially due to the price as I didn't want to spend a lot of money for something that might not work. I used it as described, twice a day for ten minutes for a couple of weeks hoping that by then I would feel some sort of relief. I've got to be honest and say this hasn't been the case so I can't really recommend this product.