on 7 January 2011
As a huge fan of Mad Men since it first hit our screens and DVD shelves in 2009, I purchased this CD as a Christmas present for my wife - also an avid fan. Having just signed off on season 4, this collection transports you back to season 1, effortlessly capturing the innocence of the era, when Don's marriage was still in its halcyon days, there were no hostile takeovers in the air or political assassinations in the background. As we listened on Christmas Day, there seemed something aptly Christmasey about a number of the tracks.

Opening with the uplifting strings and soaring voice of Vic Damone, 'On the street where you live' carries you as if on an aerial camera ride surveying the city streets from above, setting the tone for the ensuing numbers. This drifts into a gentle, jaunty version of 'Volare' by the McGuire Sisters, followed by an almost Beatles 'Michelle' guitar opening to a jazz samba-ey instrumental 'Lipstick'. Up next the dreamy, super cheesey 'PS I Love You' by Bobby Vinton - typical fayre for the 1960s. The superbly wacky 'Botch-a-me' is an americanised version of the Italian Ba-Ba-Baciami. No collection from this era would be complete without a Frank Sinatra number and here we have Julie London's gentle bossa-infused take on 'Fly Me to the Moon'. Ella Fitzgerald's 'Manhattan' pays homage to the 60s glamour of Mad Men's Madison Avenue location. Thankfully, the compilers made the decision to include David Carbonara's original modern compositions 'Mad Men Suite' and 'Babylon', the latter transporting you back to Don's visit to a beatnik club in Greenwich Village and perhaps the strongest sign so far that all is not as it looks in Don's world.

RJD2's memorable modern title sequence contrasts with the rest of the CD, and now you can enjoy it in full beyond the 60 second programme intro. Highly recommended for all fans of the show and era.
on 29 December 2010
Kick off those shoes, loosen his tie and break open the cocktail cabinet,this music is for dancing too or curling up on that sofa with the Don of your dreams!
A selection of songs, so thoughtfully chosen to play at the end of each episode to evoke the time and place are here; singers include Ella Fitzgerald, The Andrew Sisters and Vic Damone. Only 13 songs, including the theme music, so you'll probably want to buy the rest. As Roger might say 'You're already treating yourself why not go the whole way?'
on 3 August 2013
I ordered this because I was looking for "official" music from the show, not some sort of "inspired by" collection (if which there are many). And I'm happy to report that this delivers! The music is fabulous and the liner notes by series creator Matt Weiner are an added bonus. I wish/hope that amc/Lionsgate releases more of these official soundtracks for all the seasons because I would surely collect them all!
on 14 September 2014
Bought this as birthday present but it was on Autorip so I got a download very nice songs. Great for anyone who is a Fan of MadMen.
on 10 August 2013
Im not massive 60's fan however the stuff my David Carbonara, however the other tracks are phenomenal. Im 16 and I love this.....
on 25 November 2015