4.0 out of 5 stars This girl's got it.
Published on 28 Sep 2010 by Doctor Pint

1.0 out of 5 stars Huge Disappointment
This album was a huge disappointment and it was only after purchase that I found out it was actually first recorded in 2003 - and it sounds like it. The production is not good and the playing very average. although the vocals have been re-visited and the music remixed - apparently - the results do not do the artist justice. This was a very bad A&R/Production decision...
Published on 29 Mar 2012 by Tony Platt

4.0 out of 5 stars This girl's got it., 28 Sep 2010
This review is from: No Turning Back (Audio CD)
Whilst this album in no way captures the sheer energy of Imelda's live performances it is as good as it gets at present. I was not particularly a fan until I saw this diminutive Irish songstress in concert and was so impressed that I bought this album right there and then. The recording, to me, has an immediacy and energy about it that suits the rockabilly sensibilities of the band. The songs range from the swinging 'Dealing with the Devil', to the gentle 'Once More' each showcasing this girl's great voice and the competence of the musicians. If I had to pick just one track it would be, perhaps strangely, 'The End of the World', a lilting ballad that is perfectly suited to May's vocal style. It is a great pity that this album is currently unavailable as I think it contains some of her best material.

5.0 out of 5 stars AN EARLY CLASSIC !, 8 May 2012
pete clack - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: No Turning Back (Audio CD)
Yes this album was originally recorded in 2003, but she did new recordings of the vocals and the whole set was spuced up to sound very good indeed. Having seen her several times during this period with Mike Sanchez band, and her work with Blue Harlem it was very clear there was an incredible talent there, as they say the rest is history. For me I still love this set, in fact I would still sday it's for me her best work as a solo artist, the songs suit her perfectly ,the band are rock solid and the whole set is such a pure joy.So this produces for me and I'm sure many of her fans an album that runs very closely to her live work. This was not mmade with any type of big budget or with a major record label, but an honest and very enjoyable release by already then an artist destined for great things. The albums with Blue Harlem are an absolute must, and it's a shame she didn't record with Mike Sanchez because live they were rock n roll mgicv. So here a mix of excellent covcers, a few very well written Imelda originals and what still ammounts to being a very fine and enjoyable release that I still play more often than the more recent ones,and they are pretty good too!

5.0 out of 5 stars A-MAY-ZING TALENT HERE, 8 Nov 2011
This review is from: No Turning Back (Audio CD)
This is a great album in a nutshell. Seamless rockabilly, mainly covers which is typical of a first album. However, as you may know it's not really her first album. May has been singing for about 20 years and you can get some of the Jazz and Jump jive recordings on the "Blue Harlem" Cd's available on Amazon etc.
"No Turning Back" - is not shy of the fact that it's a reworked and remixed version of The original issue from 2002 - but under the name of Imelda Clabby. This has become a collectors item - and you can hear some excerpts on the rockabilly compilation Cat'n'around.

All said - if you like any other works by May you'll enjoy this CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 16 Jan 2012
Bob (Texas, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Turning Back (Audio CD)
First heard Imelda on the Les Paul tribute special with Jeff Beck. What a voice! Since then I've gotten the first three albums. This first album should not be missed. The singing, songwriting, arranging, and performance of the entire band is just perfect.

It's not flawless, but it is perfect!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Album spoiled by poor recording, 20 July 2009
K. Hutton - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Turning Back (Audio CD)
This is a fine debut album with Imelda's own songs demonstrating her song writing talent that would really come into it's own on the second album. The album is only spoiled by the amateurish recording which makes Imelda and the band sound like they recorded it in the garden shed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fine voice, 11 Jun 2014
This review is from: No Turning Back (Audio CD)
No fakery, real voice singing real music. Nothing but good music, we'll played by proper musicians. Recommend to all who like music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent music, 12 May 2014
This review is from: No Turning Back (Audio CD)
Imelda is so much more than just another rockabilly singer! She is a very skilful singer and deserves more recognition.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great running music, 28 Dec 2012
This review is from: No Turning Back (Audio CD)
Happy music which is great to run with. She has a distinctive voice perfectly suited to this style, supported by a brilliant band.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm hungry for more Imelda., 7 Oct 2011
Mr. Ralph E. Terry "Corrs Kopite" (Portsmouth) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Turning Back (Audio CD)
Having seen Imelda live on stage on Jools Holland's tour I had to have more. I bought and love "Love Tatoo" and "Mayhem" (both versions), just had to have "No Turning Back"...... and I was not disappointed. After a couple of plays, all the tracks grow on you, can't decide which one I like best, they're all great - her voice range from balad to Rockabilly leaves you wanting more. Some hit you right away, some take a little longer, but the opening tracks have you wanting to dance. A true star who just gets better.
I've been recommended to buy the Blue Harlem album, which I've just sent for. Hope I won't be disappointed.
Can't wait for more new material.

5.0 out of 5 stars Imelda May CD No Turning Back, 6 Mar 2011
This review is from: No Turning Back (Audio CD)
I have recently been introduced to Imelda May's music by a friend. We are both over 60. She makes songs that have never been heared before sound like old favourites. A clear voice that is at home with Jazz, swing, soul, dance music and brings 40's, 50's and 60's music up to date. I appreciate some recordings on vinyl.
This recording is as good as others I have heard by Imelda and can be listened to time and time again and still be apreciated
Terry King

No Turning Back
No Turning Back by Imelda May (Audio CD - 2012)