on 28 April 2008
I've bought many books on CSS and HTML, and I've always been left with a few questions, especially about layout. Craig Grannell's book does a great job of answering many of those questions. Of particular interest is his treatment of boxouts and structural divs. If you are new to CSS and XHTML don't be put off by these terms; the beauty of this book is that it's a good book for beginners, but it satisfies intermediate and advanced users as well. An excellent resource if you want to design standards-compliant websites with a twist. The basics are all here, but there is that something extra as well, and it's that something extra, scattered liberally throughout the book from start to finish, that is its distinguishing feature.
on 10 September 2009
At long last, here is a book that talks about "a modern, modular approach to standards-compliant web design" in a clear, logical and friendly manner. No small feat because contemporary web design practice is complex and a good understanding of a whole range of topics is required in order to master the art.

Craig Grannell approaches the topic by looking at various aspects of web design, with chapters like `Working with Type' and `Page layouts with CSS' rather than the more prosaic approach of many code-based books. The initial chapters of the book give a comprehensive background and primer to HTML and CSS but avoid the mistake of looking at code in the abstract. All through the book, code examples are illustrated with the rendered result so that the reader can make a clear connection between code and image.

This is an excellent book that covers a lot of ground (it even includes some useful javascript techniques) and is probably the best single volume introduction for anyone serious about web design.
on 23 July 2008
Before buying this book I knew very basic HTML and had read some other books without gaining much. I have a slight learning disability and jargon does not help.

This book is written in a language you can understand and will take you through the basics and on into great web design.
A good buy.
on 7 March 2010
Having done some web design using DW4 I thought I knew something about web page construction. Now having read only the first few chapters I realise how little I understood. This book is an excellent reference covering the historical aspects of visual text presentation all the way to
the complex aspects of CSS. I certainly recommend this as a must read and good value. The Essential Guide to CSS & HTML Web Design (Essentials)
on 15 February 2010
This book has shown me how to design web sites in the correct way, i.e. the way it should be done. Separating style from content is fundamental to good design and has the added benefit of aiding maintainability. Through the study of this book I have become aware that I have been using bad practices in my web site design. My latest web site is based on the good practices advocated in this book and it is significantly better in a multitude of different ways than any of the web sites I have developed in the past.

The book is very well structured with good examples and explanations. The reference section at the back has proved to be invaluable.

I have no hesitation in recommending this book to new and established web designers.
on 15 February 2010
This is an excellent book for learning HTML and CSS, it teaches up to date technologies and how the technologies should be used. Most HTML books teach you the basics i.e. this tag does this, that tag does that, but it doesn't tell you things like how to create drop down menu's, even though thats JavaScript, and good ways to create a navigation method. It doesn't just teach you HTML and CSS, it teaches you web design too. I would recommend this book for anyone who wants to learn HTML and CSS and wants to be a web developer/designer.
on 3 August 2011
I find the book has many positive points, but found several errors, with the java functions, bought the book to do an ofline review of my previous knowledge and to add non dreamweaver web design and layout, but found myself going back to the web and looking for java scripts that did run, from some of the references on the book as well as from 3rd sources.
It does clearly explain some of the logics in web design, and it lest you easly start using the terminology.
on 1 August 2015
This book takes you through all the various stages of web design. Although the author has done his best to make it useful for beginners, I still found it difficult as I am a complete novice. It is like learning a new language in a way. I also found the example codes were in small print and rather illegible. I believe that this book is worth buying for anybody who has the basic knowledge to absorb the precise instructions and who has an aptitude for web design.
on 3 November 2014
I bought this book when it was up on Kindle for free. I tell you, also, that is was worth it. Even at the price it is now, the book is well worth it. I'll admit it is long winded, however, everything a beginner is required to know about Web Design, HTML and CSS is there.

As an author of a programming language, myself, I understand how much hard work goes into these books. And that is a lot of work. Well done to Mr Grannell for such an amazing book.
on 12 April 2014
It's been a great help to me in understanding how CSS and HTML works. I have recently done two courses in Dreamweaver, and this book has been a big help to back up the lectures, and to be able to refer to specific things I was stuck on. Easy to read and understand, it's to be highly recommended.