5.0 out of 5 stars Great telescope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Published on 16 Sept. 2011 by Nik

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't Bother
i bought this telescope as an xmas present for my astronomy mad daughter, due to the reviews it has been given. The computer disc is interesting. The telescope, works a bit when you finally figure out which filter to use, very fiddly with vague instructions. The telescope is difficult to hold, maneuver and use, needs to be placed on a table or something and even then you...
Published 6 months ago by marie

5.0 out of 5 stars Great telescope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 16 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Celestron 76 mm Firstscope (Electronics)
After gazing at the stars for months with binoculars I was looking to invest in a scope, I was looking for something portable, affordable and most importantly something that produces nice views. After looking at tons and tons of scopes I decided to buy the one I kept looking at over and over again and I must say that was a great decision. The eyepeices are great, even the 4mm one, I have seen 2 cloud bands on jupiter and its moons, crators on the earths moon and even the rings of saturn...and there are so many more things to see. This is great value for money and is not a child scope for those who claim it is....it is a finely manafactured peice of modern technology that should belong to anyone with astronomy as a hobby. I strongly recommend you buy the accesory kit aswell!!!!!!!!! So in conclusion don't listen to all these people who criticize this scope (I listened to them and that is why it took me 2 months to decide on a scope) go with what suits you and your needs, if you think this is the one for you then buy it, its not that expensive anyway!!!!!!!!!
Clear skies to all!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Celestron 76 mm firstscope, 10 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Celestron 76 mm Firstscope (Electronics)
I got this telescope from amazon via sherwoods fantastic service. Im 49 and just starting in star-gazing and this little scope is 1st class to start with.
Fantastic value and very clear lens. To see jupiter and 3 of it's moons on my 1st night was amazing.
When you look at the moon it's so bright that you will need a moon filter.
Im now hooked for life.
Go on give it a go you will have fun and puts a smile on your face.
karl

5.0 out of 5 stars celestron 76mm firstscope, 14 Jan. 2012
STEVE FULLER - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Celestron 76 mm Firstscope (Electronics)
I already have a large good quality 1000mm german made SEBEN telescope [with poor lenses]on a tripod and it can be a bit much to set it up and carry around the rooms and to the garden so i bought this one,if i had bought this one first i would not have bought the large one as this is a brilliant little telescope,fortunatly my eyepiece lenses from the large scope fit this so this CELESTRON so it gets used the most.Dont think that this is a toy or just for kids,it is a serious piece of kit,with the right eyepieces [i recommend PLOSSL eye piece lenses] which can be bought from ebay [4 for £40] which is a brilliant price as i bought some and are good quality.I bought these PLOSSL lenses and recommend buying- 1 X 25MM - 1 X 15MM - 1 X 10MM and 1 X 6.5MM,the smaller the number the more powerful the magnification.I dont recommend buying any lense below 6.5MM.Also a 2 or 3 x power BARLOW lense can be helpful as it makes your lense more powerful,dont buy cheap ones,pay £20+ for metal bodied ones with 2 lenses as cheap plastic ones are pretty useless.The lenses make the telescope not the other way round,this telescope comes with pretty good lenses but you will get more enjoyment from it with better and a larger range of lenses.I highly recommend.I hope i have been helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars First choice for a first scope, 22 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Celestron 76 mm Firstscope (Electronics)
Having read many horror stories about many children's telescopes being a waste of money. I bought this one for my 6 year old as I found it had all positive feedback. To cut a long story short, it is an excellent 'straight out of the box' telescope with simple adjustment controls. The image through the eye piece is very clear. I have no idea what the DVD included is like as it got lost before we had a chance to watch it.
The images on the side of the box are somewhat misleading as the magnification of the two lenses are no where near strong enough to produce as detailed a view of Jupiter as illustrated but don't let this put you off. With a stronger lens, maybe?
We have seen Jupiter and just about picked out some colour variation and it's rotation. Also 4, maybe 5 of Jupiter's moons.
Our Moon is the easiest to view, and with the 4mm lens it fills the viewing area and detail is excellent, craters galore!
I'm sure Saturn's rings will be clearly visible and we are looking forward to viewing this.
The scope is very robust, however, effective operation requires a delicate hand and a good level of patience.
One word of caution - don't drop the 4mm lens in the housing as far as it will go. It'll get stuck and when you've spent time lining the scope to an object in the sky, you don't want to be having to tip it upside down to get the lens out! Tighten the locking nuts to secure the lens just short of full way in so you can get your fingers under to lift it out.
As I'm sure with all scopes, practice make perfect. This scope is defiantly worth the time practising with and will hopefully be enjoyed for years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great first scope, 3 Jun. 2011
G. Wilkinson (Derbyshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Celestron 76 mm Firstscope (Electronics)
Bought for my 8 year old daughter.

Great simple design best used on a solid table.

Easy to use for children. Much better than long tubed refractor telescopes on tripods

Good tube cover protects the mirror when not in use

Can see the Galilean moons of Jupiter with this. For terrestrial use objects are upside down

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent first scope, best in the price range, 2 Jan. 2012
A. Elliott "al5986" (london) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Celestron 76 mm Firstscope (Electronics)
I've owned a cheap scope (£30) before and it was awful, so bad that after a few uses it got packed away and forgotten about. So I wasn't sure about getting another cheap scope but times are hard, so trusting the reviewers of Amazon I went for the Celestron Firstscope which I've had for about a month now and I'm glad to say it's infinately better than my old scope. Hardly any setting up required, just pop in the eye piece and off you go. Great views of the moon and major planets including Jupiter and its moons which are out at the moment.

If like me you're after an inexpensive scope for some fun but still want decent quality this is by far the best scope in this price range. I paid about £45 for mine so be wary of people selling them for £70 and above. This is the only 'cheap scope' I'd reccomend, if you're more of a serious astronomer (or hope to be one day) you may be better off going for a much more expensive scope (£200+)

Parents, this is a great scope for kids as it's so easy to use and pretty sturdy too, although be warned, after this they may get the taste for astronomy and be asking santa for a £300 scope next year!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great starter scope, 12 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Celestron 76 mm Firstscope (Electronics)
This is not a powerful telescope, nor does it have particularly good optics. If you want a scope like that, expect to pay hundreds of pounds.

However, if you're just looking for a cheap entry-level scope, this one is damn near perfect.

It's a great introduction to telescopes, because despite its diminutive size it's a fully-functioning reflector. It comes with two eyepieces which provide 15x and 75x magnification respectively. These fit into a focus mount which can take other, higher quality lenses, should you want to invest later on. It attaches to a stirdy Dobsonion mount, and you can attach a finderscope to the side, should you choose to buy one separately.

At 75x magnification, Jupiter appears as a tiny milky-coloured disc accompanied by four pinprick-sized moons. Even in heavily light-polluted skies, I can see two dark bands on the planet's surface.

The scope is particularly good for looking at the moon.

Considering what you get for the price (£34.00 when I bought it), this scope deserves five stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Small but good, 28 Feb. 2011
D. P. Halls "taz" (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Celestron 76 mm Firstscope (Electronics)
Small but quite good,,straight from the box that evenong the moon came out and was a good time to have a look.
The small scope was very good in revealing craters on the moon as well as been quite easy to target useing the dobsonian base.
Both the lenses were clean viewing and gave a good sharp image.
I normally use a 150 mm scope and have several others that come out from time to time.this one will more than likely go into the car and travel with me just to "have a look" on my travels.
For the money is is a good very basic small telescope and not so much a toy but a nice little portable tool.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good first telescope, adult help needed for younger children, 10 Jan. 2015
G. King "gk100" (York) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Celestron 76 mm Firstscope (Electronics)
We bought this for our 7 year old daughter. I was initially put off by some of the bad reviews on here, but I really am rather confused by those now we've got it.

We've had this since daughter's birthday in April so it's only now with the onset of winter that we've been able to get much use out of it before her bedtime. As other reviewers have said, it is pretty easy to set up ; we have a little stool for daughter and use a taller one for me. Now that clear, cold winter skies are here with their complement of interesting constellations, we're getting quite a lot of use out of it. It's been used tonight to see the Orion Nebula and 3 of Jupiter's four Galilean moons and we've previously used it to look at Mars and the galaxy in Andromeda.

To find objects in the sky, I always start with the supplied 20mm eye piece, which has a fairly wide field of view. Even then, it does take a little bit of practice to find things smaller than the moon. Like most telescopes, tilting the scope towards the ground does make whatever you're looking at go up. That also takes a bit of getting used to.

Star-finding is a bit of an art - we're so used to the lovely wide field of view which two eyes give us that a first look through a telescope feels a bit like trying to see the entire inside of a house through a letterbox. If you're after suggestions of things to see and how to navigate to interesting things in the sky, one bright star at a time, I'd recommend this simple book 'Signpost to the Stars' http://www.amazon.co.uk/Signpost-The-Stars-George-Philip/dp/0540002143. I have had it since I was little myself and it's served me well.

But back to the telescope. Once you've got a star or planet, you can lock the vertical tilt, though there isn't a way to lock the base to stop it going from side to side. At that point, you can swap in the 4mm eyepiece for a close up view, though be careful not to move it all while you do that or jerk it once you look through it.

The main shortcoming of this scope is the supplied eyepieces. We've already invested in a Barlow lens which improves the magnification of the 20mm lens quite a lot and leads to a better quality view - we don't really use the 4mm at all. I have seen what other reviewers said about investing in better quality eyepieces and I think we will probably do that soon too. The eyepieces themselves are not awful but they do have a fair amount of chromatic abberation. It would also be nice if there was finer control on the focusing, but those are the only things which have caused me to give four stars instead of five.

The pictures on the box could cause misleading expectations - Jupiter is definitely not going to look as good as that - in fact, I think that picture is a famous NASA shot from the Voyager space probe. On the other hand, the Moon looks much better in the scope than the picture on the box and using it at half moon when shadows are best picks out some amazing details. At full moon it is almost too bright and a moon filter might help.

Finally, I'd say that if you've bought this for a child and they're below age 9 or 10, you will need to help them locate objects in the night sky or even do it for them. I recommend finding stuff first, lining the scope up, swapping eyepieces if needed and focusing before getting younger children outside. They will get bored (and cold) if they wait outside while you do all the above, especially at first while you're still getting used to finding things too. Even an exciting view in the scope will not be enthused about if your dearest is frozen.

I would recommend this scope - as with all telescopes, it will take a bit of investment in time to get the best out of it.

4.0 out of 5 stars For the price, amazing., 24 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Celestron 76 mm Firstscope (Electronics)
Compared to any telescope under £50 I have used, the image and build quality are superb, and importantly it takes mere seconds to set up. If you have a child interested in astronomy this is perfect. The image quality does improve with better quality lenses, but the ones supplied are perfect for a beginner.

Celestron 76 mm Firstscope