Published on 31 Aug 2009 by Brida

3.0 out of 5 stars Well worth watching
Published on 12 Mar 2009 by Dr Evil

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly a film that has stayed with me for longer than just the duration of the credits, 31 Aug 2009
Brida "izumi" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Seven Pounds [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
SEVEN POUNDS was recommended to me by someone - I mentioned I had been considering seeing it for a while, and they finally pushed me into going ahead and doing it. I am very glad that I did. It is perhaps the first film in a few years which has stayed with me for longer than just the time it takes to watch the credits roll by. But to explain why it has done so may be quite hard to do - at least without giving something away.

The story follows Ben Thomas (Will Smith), a man who is wracked with guilt at things he has done in his past. Realising that he has the ability to change the lives of other people, he decides to make amends by helping seven deserving strangers. However, when he meets Emily his plans become entangled with his own emotions - as he helps her, he falls in love with her. But if he explains what brought him into her life, it could mean jeopardising his whole plan.

That is all I can say about the plot. It took a long time for me to get to grips with this film - perhaps for a good half of it, I really didn't have a clue what was going on. However, as things start to build up for the climax and what has been happening slowly becomes apparent, you understand completely. Everything falls into place, and when it does, your emotions will more than likely go through the whole spectrum that there is to feel. Although you could argue that a lot of poetic justice has had to be used for this plotline, regardless of that, I think the emotions that you experience through watching this film, and connecting with it, will leave you satisfied evn if you start to think, "Yeah, but that couldn't happen..."
An excellent film. Brilliant acting from all. And, yes, Smith truly shines in this role.

5.0 out of 5 stars A visual and emotional masterpiece, 14 Aug 2009
J. Young (LDN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seven Pounds [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
As someone who works in a rental store I am regularly subjected to people's opinions of films, and recently this one has been the top whinging point. The general complaints are that it's slow and hard to get through, and that the story line is confusing and cluttered.
I however disagree enormously! It's true that the first half of this film is structured in such a way that it does make it a little difficult to follow and figure out, however do you really think this is an accident? It's built like this to keep you hooked and guessing and when the point comes in the film where everything clicks it's exciting!
The story follows a troubled man, Ben Thomas (Played by Will Smith in possibly his greatest role yet) an IRS officer. From the beginning of this film you are left guessing what kind of a person he is, it starts with him abusing a bling man over the phone, but then being aparently disgusted by his behaviour. We then follow him as he does huge favours for aparently random people in need.
As the story evolves we come to realise, through flashbacks, that Ben was involved in a car accident and feels responsible for the seven deaths it resulted in, and you twig pretty soon that this is why he feels the need to better seven strangers' lives.
Complicating his plans however, Ben falls in love with one of the strangers, Emily (Played by Rosario Dawson) a young woman with a heart condition that without a transplant doesn't give her long to live.
He's left with the decision to stay and love her, but change his plans, or help her an alter their future together hugely.
This is a beautiful but heartbreaking film, which has stayed with me for days.

4.0 out of 5 stars Its the journey not the destination that makes this film, 3 Aug 2009
Spudola "Al" (Midlands (UK)) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I bought this blind, only saw the trailers at the cinema and on TV but am I glad I did.

I've read criticisms of this film that its plot line is too obvious.
But my view is those who think that have missed a trick here.

How often in life do we see what's coming for us, our family, children, friends but know we can't interfere but only feel the pain?

This film to me is about those feelings, its about that Tim (Will Smith) has caused his life to discintegrate, caused pain to those related to the 7 lives his actions cost and now feels compelled to make amends by helping 7 strangers.

At first the clues are scattered around the film but before long they become clear and you know what Tim is trying to do but that is the point once you stop working out the ending of the film you start watching the emotions that run through it.

The most telling part in the film comes after Will falls for one of his chosen beneficiaries and then goes to see if there is anyway they can survive without his help, the answer and the look on Smiths face to me is the fulcrum of the film and only serves to make the emotions of those who benefited from Tim's desire to rebalance the world more intense.

This is a bittersweet film helping all of us to see and share those mixed emotions that come from the scenarios that play out in this film.

I've now watched this a few times now and the intensity and feeling grows with each viewing, a strong and emotionally stirring journey to a destination we all reach in time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Well worth watching, 12 Mar 2009
Dr Evil (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Seven Pounds [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
It's quite difficult to review `Seven Pounds' without giving any of the story away but it stars Will Smith in a more serious role than his usual blockbuster outings, this time as Ben, an IRS agent who is depressed and guilt-ridden about mistakes from his past. He sets out to make amends by helping seven strangers. When he meets Emily (Rosario Dawson), a beautiful woman with a heart condition, he falls in love with her, thereby complicating his plans.

I had read a lot of average reviews of this so wasn't expecting much but I actually really enjoyed this film. The acting from the whole cast was excellent, particularly from Rosario Dawson who played the woman suffering from a heart problem and also from Woody Harrelson who played the blind guy, which I think is actually one of the best performances I've ever seen him in. Will Smith is also very good and plays a lot more darker character than he usually does, which really showed off the extents of his acting talents. The story was a little hard to follow at first (I had no idea what was going on for the first hour of the movie, to be honest) but once it is explained later on it does all make sense and becomes a very rewarding watch.

Overall this isn't the best film I've seen this year but is definitely one I'd recommend watching. It is quite down-beat but is equally heart-warming near the end, so is well worth sticking with if you don't "get" it straight away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seven Pounds, 13 Jan 2014
This review is from: Seven Pounds [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
I'm a fan of Will Smith since his Fresh Prince days when I was younger. I had already seen The Pursuit of Happyness which was a wonderful film and made by the same director as this film.

After watching this film and without giving too much away, I found it very touching, thought provoking and inspiring with a great message behind it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie, 1 Jan 2013
This review is from: Seven Pounds [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
This is a great movie, well worth seeing. Would recommend it to anyone who likes Wil Smith. Takes a bit to get into but is worth it in the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seven Pounds, 29 Aug 2009
Spider Monkey (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Seven Pounds [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
`Seven Pounds' is one of those films that is hard to review without giving anything away. It is a modern day weepy with a twist and has excellent performances from all involved. I'm a fan of Will Smith, but even taking that into account he still acts brilliantly in this film. You can work out the plot fairly quickly, but that doesn't stop you from being affected at the end and being mildly shocked by a few extra twists that are thrown in for good measure. In fact it shows how good the film is that you are left affected despite guessing the ending. Even with the overall feeling of sadness that colours this film and leaving you emotionally overwrought at the end, it still has a positive message about life and encourages you to go out and think about your relationships and outlook on things. A top film with superb acting from the whole cast. Well worth checking out.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.

5.0 out of 5 stars Will Smith's best yet?, 2 Jun 2009
The usual suspect (2nd aisle on the right, top shelf) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Seven Pounds is an odd film to review since by saying a little bit too much results in ruining it.
I did wonder if it would be worth watching again but now I have it, yes it is. Will Smith is on top form and in serious actor mode. The film itself is one of those that you don't really have a clue what's going on for much of it. But in the end all is revealed and it's all worth watching for. If you like Crash, you love this. It's a tremendous storyline and probably his best film in my opinion but others may differ.
The BD is top quality with a great picture and TrueHD (although the soundtrack doesn't mean a lot in this title).
Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotionally exceptional, 27 July 2009
Hardeep (wolverhampton) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seven Pounds [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
This is an exceptional piece of cinema. The film is so beautifully filmed, with performances that resonated for days. All hail Will Smith, Rosario Dawson, Woody Harrelson and Barry Pepper for thier wonderful utter emersion in thier roles.

The movie is a slow burner, it does take a while to get going but that builds the story correctly, and makes the final denoument a giant among all I have seen. I simply dont have the superlatives to express my love for this film. Watch it, emotionally commit to it, and you will be taken on a sad but beautiful journey.

2.0 out of 5 stars Miserable, 26 Dec 2013
Mr. T. Wilkinson (York, England) - See all my reviews
I like Will Smith and I like films like Pay It Forwards, but this film was not only miserable, but it was also bad at making your feel a great deal of empathy with the central character. Although it was "okay", I sadly had to agree with the many negative internet reviews that were critical of the confused and overly miserable mess that it is. I know life is not like it is in Hollywood, but I also do not want to watch a film of such misery.

Sadly for Will Smith fans, its one to avoid. Its not funny and it equally misses on the "feel good" aspects of Pay it Forwards. Its just upsetting. I wish - really wish - that I could say different, as I ignored the negative reviews. However, this is just too miserable.

Seven Pounds [DVD] [2009]
Seven Pounds [DVD] [2009] by Gabriele Muccino (DVD - 2009)
3.95