Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£5.99

This is a terrific CD, with its wild meld of celtic, pop, folk, and country strains. The Chieftains, accompanied by such music greats as Sting, Mick Jagger, Sinead O'Connor, The Rolling Stones, Marianne Faithfull, Tom Jones, Van Morrison, among others...who would have thought such an assemblage would result in such a cohesive recording of such wildly divergent music? Of particular note are Sting's mournful rendition of "Mo Ghile Mear" and Sinead O'Connor's stylization of "The Foggy Dew" and "He Moved Through The Fair". Mick Jagger also does justice to "A Long Black Veil". This CD is simply a great recording overall!
on 27 April 2001
This CD certainly proves that The Chieftains have friends in high places! This album is packed full of rock stars (Mick Jagger, Sting, Sinead O' Connor, Van Morrison, Mark Knopfler, Tom Jones and Marianne Faithfull) singing traditional Irish songs. This is an interesting album and the songs do work better than I expected them too. This is a lively collection of songs and none of the artists sound out of place, but I think I would still prefer hearing these songs sung by folk singers. Nonetheless this is a good introduction to The Chieftain's style of music and an essential buy if you are a fan of the artists involved.
on 2 April 2014
The chieftains were way too nice letting their muso mates play with them. They turned the chieftains from potcheen into bland blended own brand whisky.
I've deleated this album from my chieftains collective..wish I could the same with my memory!