5.0 out of 5 stars When soul music was truly soulful...
'Whitney Houston' really captures the time it was released, 1985. Back when soul music really was soulful and not influenced with hip hop and rap. This album includes some of the very best work of Whitney Houston, and is a great reminder of all the great songs she initially gave us.

Published on 2 Feb 2010 by Mr. MusicMan

3.0 out of 5 stars An 'unimpressive' debut.
This I always felt a pretty weak debut album from Whitney Houston after hearing her good chart material. Her second 'Whitney' was far far better. (see my Review for that title)

The first side of what would have been the original vinyl is very poor... The first three tracks not very memorable at all and are what can only be described as 'fillers' - then you...
Published on 11 May 2010 by FAMOUS NAME

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars When soul music was truly soulful..., 2 Feb 2010

The remastering of this album is fantastic, bringing Whitney's brilliant voice louder into the mix. Every single track on this album is pure class and elegance, not a bad word can be said about them and this remains one of those few completely timeless albums from the 1980s. My only criticism would be that they didn't include any previously unreleased recordings Whitney made during this era, although listening to the rare extended mixes and alternate versions that finish off this disc is enjoyable too.

My personal favourites from this album except for the 4 big singles are "All At Once", "Someone For Me" and "Take Good Care Of My Heart" which should have been huge hits as well. It is almost a crime they were never heavily promoted as singles, they are that good.

This is simply my favourite soul/R&B album of all time, and you don't need to be a fan of soul/R&B to enjoy it either. This music has major crossover appeal and has the ability to reach and touch people almost no matter what type of music they are into.

I would recommend `Whitney Houston` to any serious pop music fan, with this album the legendary singer made music history and will always be remembered for her brilliance.

Outstanding!

5.0 out of 5 stars Whitney Houston, 26 April 2011
This review is from: Whitney Houston (Audio CD)
The now-classic debut record from one of the greatest ever voices in pop music history, and it does not disappoint. Released in 1985, this is the album that introduced Whitney Houston to the world, years before she cemented her legend with the release of the soundtrack to 'The Bodyguard'.

Tracklist.
01. You Give Good Love - The song where Whitney Houston first made her mark on the billboard charts. This smooth-ballad with an urban vibe features some of her greatest vocal-runs, and was her first significant single-release, peaking at #03 on the Pop-chart and #01 on the RnB chart in 1985. It also earned her a nomination in the grammys for best RnB record of 85.
02. Thinking About You - A very urban, funky and retro dance/club song. It got a lot of radio airplay in 85, and did well on the RnB charts. Would fit in well on Houston's third album, more-urban/hiphop flavoured 'I'm Your Baby Tonight'.
03. Someone For Me - An uptempo 80's pop song, similar to 'How Will I Know' with a great baseline. Whitney's vocals are silky and understated. On the whole sounds a little dated today.
04. Saving All My Love For You - The showstopper on the album. The song that really launched Whitney as a star, with a jazzy melody and irrisistable chorus. Hit #01 on the top 100 in 85.
05. Nobody Loves Me Like You Do (featuring Jermaine Jackson) - The first duet of the album, a cover of a country staple, is a classic love/romance-duet in the same vain as 'Endless Love.
06. How Will I Know - 80's pop classic, another #01 and the first to get repeated airplay on MTV due to it's colourful music video. Gave Whitney a more youthful pop image, which would continue onto her second album with 'I Wanna Dance With Somebody'.
07. All At Once - Powerballad, very similar to 'Didn't We Almost Have It All', classic Whitney Houston.
08. Take Good Care of My Heart (featuring Jermaine Jackson) - The second duet, more uptempo and radio friendly. Perfect 1980's car music.
09. Greatest Love Of All - The second showstopper. This cover of a George Benson classic saw Whitney make it her own, a bonafide classic.
10. Hold Me (featuring Teddy Pendegrass) - A 1984 duet with the soulman, their voices blend wonderfully and it is a romantic standout and a nice closer to the album.

Continually rated as one of the greatest albums of the 20th century and one of the greatest artist debuts, this album is worth a listen to anybody with an interest in Whitney Houston, or in 1980's pop music in general.

5.0 out of 5 stars AT LAST!, 24 Dec 2009
Finally - the incredible early years are to be celebrated! The most exciting thing about this package is it seems there will be plenty of live content. According to Whitney's official website 2 last minute performances have been added to the DVD too!

I Am Changing (performed at the Arista 15th Anniversary party 1983)
You Give Good Love (Live at Soul Train Awards 1986)

I am so looking forward to these as they are previously unreleased. We all know Whitney's voice was on fire during these years so I'm looking forward to cranking up the volume at home and watching these over and over!

Also can't wait to hear the remixes and read the letter Whitney has written to her fans in the booklet.

What a great way to start the new year :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Remaster is a bit disappointing, 11 Feb 2010
Mr. Euan M. Wilson (Lanarkshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I'm a huge 80's fan and the songs on this Whitney album have a special place for me as they were some of the first records I bought back in '86. I already owned the double CD release with the second 'Whitney' album along with this one and, don't get me wrong, the sound has definitely been improved on this release. Given the quality of most remastered music these days, I was just a little disappointed with this remaster - some of the tracks sound a bit dull and/or lacking depth, like the standard version of 'How will I Know' for instance. Also, I've just compared my 12" vinyl version of the dance mix of 'How Will I Know' (which is a bonus track on the remaster) with the version on the CD and there is a vast difference. The vinyl sounds so much louder and an altogether 'bigger', more vibrant sound. I would have thought that with the technology available and given that this is such a landmark album, a better job could have been done. I'll probably have lots of other Whitney fans slating me for saying that!

Having said all of that, the DVD features look great and it is definitely a welcome release and good value at the price I paid for it so just about 4 stars on balance. I hope that they give Whitney's next couple of albums a similar treatment but with improved sound if at all possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic album, recommended, great voice, 1 July 2012
This review is from: Whitney Houston (Audio CD)
I really like this album, I used to own a vinyl copy and love it so much I bought the cd. Her voice is amazing, the songs are all great, great album to remember what a fantastic talent she was.

5.0 out of 5 stars Whitney Houston, 19 Mar 2012
This review is from: Whitney Houston (Audio CD)
Fast delivery and great album. Had this a long time ago on vinyl and to me it has not dated. Not a bad track on a fantastic album, a great shame Whitney is no longer with us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Whitney at her very best, 17 Mar 2012
Mr. N. Taxil-webber "Walnut" (Diss, Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whitney Houston (Audio CD)
We used to listen to the cassette tape of this when we were courting. Whitney had, in our opinion, the very best female voice in popular music to they time. Her songs oozed romance and passion so, when she very sadly died, we decided to buy the cd. A good move as we can now hear her beautiful singing even more clearly. Anyone wanting a single cd of Whitney's music won't go far wrong with this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excelent product, 9 Oct 2011
This is an excelent album from one of the very best singers in the world. A CD is still the best way to consume music, because of the much better sound quality than ordinary downloads can provide. That is if your stereo costs a $ 1000 or more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 July 2014
Good

5.0 out of 5 stars a 20 karat gold album, 28 Mar 2014
Be careful with this precious gem. u won't find another one in the world. Narada did a great job. I wish they'd met in a studio before the day music stopped.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›