4.0 out of 5 stars Another cracker
Sepultura, now in their 25th year, prove meathead metallers the world over wrong by releasing another smashing album without the input of either of the founding Cavalera brothers. No more bitterness from me though, I can't be bothered with it.

Published on 21 Feb 2009 by Paul McNamee

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad
The band should not even be called Sepultura anymore since both Cavalera's are gone, but in general not a bad album from pretty much a tribute band.
Published on 22 Jan 2009 by Mr. S. Pike

4.0 out of 5 stars Another cracker, 21 Feb 2009
Paul McNamee "Rambleast Reviews" (North Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A-Lex [Deluxe Digipak] (Audio CD)

But this album is excellent. I'll open by saying it's my least favourite of the five albums the modern Sepultura have released, although its not because one of my favourite drummers isn't sat behind those giant, vertical toms anymore. No, the album suffers from having a couple of duff tracks on it, not so many, but still enough to lower the average.

The production is excellent, retaining the guitar tone from Dante XXI but gaining a lot from the very natural sound of Jean Dollabella's drums. His professional background really adds a depth to these songs, and he's a more than worthy replacement, but the real star of this album is Derrick Green. His voice has never suited the material better than on here, each song filled with spat venom and great vocal patterns.

At 18 songs it can prove a little exhausting to listen to. That said, there are some great ideas on here. The track "A-Lex III" is astoundingly trippy, a million miles away from the hilarious "Show Me The Wrath" from the band's debut (what does that even mean?). There are examples both of crushing doom ("A-Lex I", "Sadistic Values") and full on thrashing ("Paradox", "Moloko Mesto"). There's even a Beethoven cover. Really. And it's amazing too. Another in a long list of reasons why people should stop underestimating this band and start taking them seriously on their own merits, and not based on who used to play for them. DAMN IT, I tried. Ah well. Buy A-Lex, its brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good album - extremely consistant., 17 July 2009
G. J. Cullen "gary-man" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A-Lex [Deluxe Digipak] (Audio CD)
Sepultura are and always have been one of my favourite bands. Through the turmoil, the trials and the tribulations of near destruction Sepultura have been a band to come through flying.
When Max left everyone was saying that that was the end and boy were they wrong. 'Against', blinding album, proved all disbelievers wrong. And then two albums later and with a litle controversy somewhat, Igor walked and left Sepultura in limbo once again, and once again, against all critical odds thay have come through strong.
I'm sick and tired of hearing that Sepultura is nothing without Max and that Max was Sepultura and now that neither Cavalera's remain, Sepultura are a tribute act. Let us not forget that Max can't play the guitar, (four strings don't count). Derrick Greene is a far superiour singer than Max.
Max left through his own choice and now Igor has left through his own choice. They are not Sepultura. If you prefer the Cavalera's to Sepultura then listen to Soulfly or Cavalera Conspiracy which are both excellent bands. But don't slate Sepultura for a reason that bears no significance to the music they produce.
A-Lex is a fine, fine album by a fine, fine band that are still significantly better than much of the competition.

5.0 out of 5 stars WWoOOOOOOOOOooWW!!!!!!!! Now this was a Surprise to Me!!!!!, 28 Jan 2009
This review is from: A-Lex [Jewel case] (Audio CD)
This is, to me, possibly Sepultura's most consistent album since "Arise". The songwriting and textures the reach here is AMAZING my friends. I think they couldn't get to that level of strenght in an album again but here we are. If you're a new-comer to Sepultura you would do great starting your collection right here!!! I have liked almost every record by them but when it comes to consistency this album really outstands!!!

Here's something for every Sepultura fan and more than you would expect.
Every song is great, even "Ludwig Van" which I think is very classy, very mature. They should be very proud of that one. The rest of the songs are incredible metal music, straight to the point. "Strike" (listen to that one), "The Experiment", "Metamorphosis", "Sadistic Values", "What I Do!". NEW SEPULTURA CLASSICS RIGHT THERE. Jean Dolabella is one hell of a drummer (listen to final section of "The Treatment" or "Paradox" or "Moloko Mesto")

No time for the stupid whining. "we want max" "max is Sepultura" OMG!!! Please people get a life!!!!!!!! I don't care about Max no more. I'm sick and tired of all the people denigrating Sepultura's work just beacuse Max left more than 12 years ago!!!! COME ON!! GET OVER IT. Period.

How can you be so miserable to deny the great work on the Derrick Green albums?? I challenge you (use the comment section) to listen to "A-Lex" (especially) or "Nation" or "Against" or "Roorback" or "Dante XXI" an tell me objectively that they can't hold up to ANY other Sepultura album. Here, Listen to "Beneath The Remains" and then right after listen to "A-Lex" (in its entirely of course) an tell me the later sucks. I DEAR YOU!!!!

This is a new age for Sepultura. One age that started with "Dante XXI" and continues with this superb album that tops almost every other record from Sepultura. But without a doubt this is better than "Roots" (way more focused) which I think is an extremely overrated.

If like heavy stuff, this will blow you away!!!!!! Classic Sepultura album!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, 14 Feb 2009
Mr. H. C. R. Allen "mhcra" (Brighton, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A-Lex [Deluxe Digipak] (Audio CD)
I didnt have high hopes for this album. The short time in the studio, large number of tracks and the absence of Igor Cavalera rang alarm bells. But i couldn't have been more wrong! This is the best metal album Ive heard in a long time. The only dud track in my mind is ludwig van which tries to mix thrash and classical music without much success. Otherwise A-lex is consistently brilliant. If you like Chaos AD era sepultura, you'll like this. And if you're not quite sure, check out the sepultura myspace page cos you can stream the whole album.

5.0 out of 5 stars WWoOOOOOOOOOooWW!!!!!!!! Now this was a nice surprise to Me!!!!!, 28 Jan 2009
This review is from: A-Lex [Deluxe Digipak] (Audio CD)

Here's something for every Sepultura fan and more than you would expect.

If like heavy stuff, this will blow you away!!!!!! Classic Sepultura album!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Seps don't look back, 1 Mar 2012
MideastMC (Aberdeenshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A-Lex [Deluxe Digipak] (Audio CD)
On this 18-track epic, bracing thrash gives way to unselfconscious silliness (Beethoven medley anyone?) yet remains thoroughly satisfying throughout. In both veins this is unmistakeable Sepultura, sounding more comfortable in their metallic skins than ever. Occasionally there is a tendency towards riff tetris, in which every 8-bar chunk slots a little predictably into the next, but somehow this never becomes enervating. In fact, as a unit it is the most coherent album Sepultura have released since the departure of Max Cavalera, and several of the songs deserve to be Seps classics.

Best track: The Treatment.

5.0 out of 5 stars killer, 4 Aug 2010
This review is from: A-Lex [Deluxe Digipak] (Audio CD)
iv been a fan of sepa since mid 90s and i was really saddened that they had parted ways with max, iv bought every album since 98 and every tshirt i layed my eyes on cause i loved what they had been trying to make and they kept the fight but this is for me the best cd that they ever made and this comes from a fan (myself) that owns every cd comes out so far this is the best that they made its better then soulfly better then cavalera conspiracy

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 22 Jan 2009