on 15 January 2010
A good map case. Current size description is incorrect. Actual size is 265x480 mm which is ideal for displaying 4 OS map panels without having to trim the map cover.
on 8 April 2010
having used this map case on dartmoor in preperation for the TEN TORS walking event, although i have not used the case to it's full potential i feel that its quality and attention to detail could hold up in any enviroment. i am planning to use the case on a sea kayaking expedition later in the week and am sure it can hold up to the water.
on 10 June 2010
Got one of these at Christmas, its usually my backup for whatever map is in my weatherwriter but it holds a set of A4 sheets and a notepad just as perfectly as it does a map. The strap is good and its easy to adjust and reposition. It's completely waterproof as far as I have seen but the outer layer did get soaked through on a really wet day on Mull but the contents were still dry.

I wouldn't like to fully immerse it in water but for walking its perfect and easy to use. A massive improvement on the Gelert I was using before and I'm confident it will last longer as well.
on 17 November 2009
GOOD MAP CASE TOTALLY WATERPROOF DISPLAYS TWO FULL O.S MAP SECTIONS IDEAL FOR MILITARY OR SERIOUS ORIENTEERING.WELL WORTH THE MONEY.
on 7 January 2011
Although the build quality itself is good (as expected from Silva), the design of the velcro roll-closure is very poor which makes it hard to close and leaves a bulky end. It's possible mine was a production mistake as I had to cut down the plastic excess to close it at all - it seemed that a velcro strip may have been stitched in the wrong place. An ortleib-style closure would have been much better. Disappointed. But otherwise, a robust mapcase.
on 1 March 2013
Received this item within estimated delivery time.
The map case generally looks and feels well made, the front window is a soft clear plastic and not the cheap ' easily cracking' stuff, the back is a heavy gauge grey plastic like material, (almost like the material that outdoor rain jackets are made from).
A black 'Silva' adjustable next strap is supplied to attach to the map case, of which you can attach it to either side or the ends or a combination.
There are 2 sets of velcro tape both on the front and rear of the case for both closing the end flap (waterproofness) and folding the whole case in half, if needed.
The map case appears to be totally waterproof, except for the fact of having to close the open end after having put the map in and finding there is no room for play, as folding the open end to velcro the case shut and fully waterproof, is a little tricky and quite tight.
The map I have bought this for is an OS Explorer Map, which although the map it self is waterproof, I wanted a map case to hold the map with an open full two page width for viewing quick and easily, I have also checked the OS Explorer map against the standard non waterproofed one and the size differences are minimal.
I would say not suitable for taking your map out of the case every 5 minutes whilst in the field but otherwise fine.

The packaging for the map says size 265 x 480mm and I would say this is maximum, especially on the length.
Also it mentions suitable for temperatures to -20*c and there is also a nice touch on the back of the map case showing briefly how to use/orientate a compass.
I have marked this product down a star, simply because the dimensions are so tight and the size description on the web page are so wrong!
on 5 August 2010
Nice map case but it does feel a little tacky in places. The bits where the neck cord are held on feel like they could tear off with a bit of pressure. Overall though the feel of the product and the quality of materials used are nice and solid as well as practical. Just be careful not to snag it on something while around your neck or you may find yourself pulling out your sewing kit to mend it!
on 26 October 2010
Good size, can be used in a variety of configurations and well-made. Just right for the well-prepared walker.
on 8 May 2012
At the risk of appearing stupid, I have to write that when I first opened the package that my Silva Navigator Map Case came in, I was confused. There are a number of velcro strips and eyelets placed at various, seemly random points over the case and no instruction leaflet. For the next twenty minutes, I tried every possible combination of velcro to velcro attachment with little satisfaction; I was never a fan of the Rubick's cube.

I regularly go orienteering and need a map to be discreet but quickly accessible. Opened fully, the map case is too big and the only way that I can see to fold it is in three so that Icannot see the map. Whatever I a missing, some brief instructions should have been included.
on 22 September 2011
I bought this map case for walking the Pennine Way. Like some of the other reviewers, I found the velcro closure fiddly and cumbersome, especially when raining horizontal stairods at the top of Stoodley Pike. After discovering that the case took on water from the outer cover, I folded it clear side out, which reduced the problem. The velcro started to detach after the 5th day, eventually coming completely adrift by the 10th - thank goodness for duct tape. This would be an adequate item for short hikes not requiring several maps or the map to be removed and refolded frequently, it certainly doesn't stand up to serious use. I will be looking to replace this for the West Highland Way next year, but it won't be another Silva, I'm afraid.