I love this coat!

I've had several waterproof jackets in the past, but borrowed a coat similar to this from a friend recently to go out in a rain shower.

Published 5 months ago by Aaron

3.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight Jacket
Quite pleased with jacket as it is really light. On the downside, after brisk walking some perspiration builds up on inside of jacket which really surprised me as I thought that it was ' breathable'.
Published on 26 Oct 2009 by J. COOK

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb coat, excellent waterproofing, looks great, proper hood made of the same material. I love it!, 15 July 2014
I love this coat!

What I love about this is that the jacket is well cut. By this I mean it is not excessively baggy. Every other coat I have had hangs off you and doesn't look great. This is sized well in all the right places. It is longer at the back, the sleeves are long enough, the sides are cut in slightly and the collar is tall and rigid enough to keep wind out of your neck.

I don't want to imply this is a tight fit as it is not, it is just suitable well cut to look good.

The lining is mesh, and is designed to be 'layered up' is it is cold. I have a thin berghaus fleece (purchased separately) which I use underneath if cold. Whilst these are not designed to zip into each other (there is no feature for that) they work perfectly together and allows you to configure the coat for whatever weather you like.

the waterproofing is good. Rain just beads off it. I read a review from someone criticising the waterproofing, but i can only imagine they had a defective coat as this coat has kept me bone dry in two most inclimate settings. There is the excellent double layered zip to keep rain from leaking through to zip, and the fold away hood is made of the same material, helping keep you dry and not look ridiculous like those silly thin fold away hoods on some coats.

I also read negative comments about the pockets as they are made of mesh. I think I should point out that these pockets are designed as such for keeping hands warm and out of the wind.. This is why they are mesh, so your hands don't become a sweaty mess inside nylon pockets. But to be honest, I keep things in the pockets and have no worry about losing anything. They zip up fine.

So yes, very highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best value and quality clothing item!, 26 Dec 2010
P. WILLIAMS "huggy bear" (spain) - See all my reviews
This RG1 is the replacement for my current one which has lasted me 12 (twelve) years of continuous wear, and I mean continuous heavy duty. With a jumper underneath it has provided ample warmth in Scotland in Winter, The Lake District in Winter and the aq inner lining IS without doubt 100% waterproof or WAS.Even NOW, the older jacket which is different in design AND material IS STILL SHOWERPROOF although the elastic on the cuffs need replacing (the design of the new jacket is obviously greatly improved on the old one).The net pockets, a feature which some seem concerned about giving way or holeing NEVER have in mine and my suggestion regarding carrying keys or loose change is to put either into a small plastic Bank Bag which folds inside itself, place this inside the pocket and zip it up!Hey-presto.No lost cash or keys or worry about torn pockets?I was tempted to buy my first one when I saw Chris Bonnington wearing Berghaus climbing Everest and I don't regret it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Quality with Some Minor Niggle, 24 Nov 2012
Kaio (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Berghaus Men's RG1 Shell Jacket (Sports Apparel)
I like this jacket's light weight, good wind protection while cycling, and adequate waterproof property (in addition to the L size being a perfect fit for me). I also agree with most of the good qualities mentioned by numerous reviewers, but one niggle that prompted me to write this review is the pocket zip mechanism.

I only had this jacket for a few days, and nine out of ten, the pocket zip catches the soft inner lining (and yes, takes a while to dislodge the lining caught by the zip). If the lining is stitched or glued around the pocket edges, then this problem would be gone, and it's disappointing that such premium quality jacket fails on such minor quality control. It is possible that the zip mechanism could eventually fail - unless some DIY job is called into action, such as gluing but again there may be a worry about warranty issues??

Great quality with a minor niggle with regard to the pocket zips, and hope the manufacturer takes note of such feedback as part of improving quality control.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight Jacket, 26 Oct 2009

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK, but ..., 15 July 2011
This review is from: Berghaus Men's RG1 Shell Jacket (Sports Apparel)
If you find this review helpful ... please click the little "yes" button below.

I have a Berghaus Mera Peak and a Berghaus RG1. I really like the Mera Peak, which is an excellent (lightweight) outdoor jacket and incredibly durable. Unfortuately, the RG1 is just OK. The size seems relatively accurate. It looks reasonably good. It's somewhat waterproof. But, it has one major failing, and that's not enough pockets. There are two side hand pockets (which do not have warm linings) but that's all. The jacket would be considerably more useful with a map pocket, or at the very least a small inside breast pocket. Overall, I think that this jacket is OK, but it's expensive for a jacket that's just OK.

4.0 out of 5 stars Go for large if you're tall, 16 Aug 2014
Amazon Customer (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
A bit smaller than I expected as I went for the medium instead of the large as some reviews had said it was a large fitting. I found this jacket a bit short. Luckily I have another Berghaus with Gortex which I'll be using a lot more than this. I can't complain too much as I got it for a good price at less than £35

1.0 out of 5 stars amazon customer service. Terrible., 29 Jan 2014
will not order from these again unless they change the exchage policy. ordered a large which was too big. tried to exchange for a medium, got told no we dont do that, only exchange for same size!! eh? why would i want to exchange for same size? ridiculous.

4.0 out of 5 stars An urban jacket for temperate weather., 6 Jan 2010
Eugene Nyunt (London, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Berghaus Men's RG1 Shell Jacket (Sports Apparel)
A high quality jacket at a useful price, although as of now (January 2010) for twenty GBP more there's an insulated version on other websites - two of the main High Street outdoors clothing/equipment retailers. In an urban setting this version will be fine, although when I took it to Berlin (Germany) in February 2009 during the cold snap I felt utterly frozen - despite having a mid-weight fleece on me, not to mention a t-shirt under that as well. A word about the sizing - those who traditionally lean towards small (in men's clothing) might be more at ease with an "extra small" for this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Berghaus Men's RG1 Jacket, 2 Jun 2012
Koriel Tannhauser (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I've been using this type of jacked for the past 4 years and during that time I've been through 2 of them (through the winter/autumn/spring seasons I've been using it pretty much every day).

1. Is the jacket fully waterproof?
It is not. In case of a drizzle or any other small rain, it does what is supposed to do (the protection is good enough for this kind of rain). However, in case of a heavy rain/shower, you better have an umbrella with you as this jacket doesn't offer a lot of protection (which should be obvious as it wasn't designed for a heavy rainfall).

2. Is the jacket windproof?
A bit better here. Strong wind or not, it does its job quite well.

3. Is the jacket breathable?
Not really. If you run a lot with that jacket on, walk in the sun for about 10 minutes, or simply walk rapidly through the countryside/forest - you will feel quite warm inside very quickly (in winter this is not a problem; spring/autumn different story). So this is not exactly a "light" breathable jacket, but you can always keep the jacket open (which obviously helps a bit). For that reason, don't use/wear it when humidity is high (because the water particle - humidity - in the air blocks the heat evaporated from your body -> very rapidly you will feel quite hot while wearing it)

4. What about the quality of the product?
Never had any problems there: no problems with the zipper, pockets are deep enough to put some coins there; hood protection from the wind/rain is also good.

5. What about washing it in the washing machine?
It can obviously be done (at 30 degrees C) but after 1-2 washes the jacket will lose a bit of its water protection qualities. You will have to use some waterproofing spray to solve that - "Nikwax TX Direct Spray On" is probably a good choice here (as it is recommended by Berghaus). Also when washing, use soap powder or liquid with no fabric softeners (or any other conditioners) and air dry the jacket afterwards.

I've been also using this jacket during the winter in UK with just a t-shirt underneath (lowest temp was probably 0) but then again, I cannot recommend that for everybody as this jacket is not a "winter" one (I was born and raised in the country where winters could be very cold and long so it didn't bother me that much). However, the jacket can be used in winter as long as you put some warm clothes underneath - maybe a simple t-shirt with sweater or some v-neck jumper with the t-shirt underneath.

Side note: in northern part of UK, the temperature can often drop to -10, -15 degree centigrade during winter -> obviously this jacket in not designed for such weather. In this case I would suggest to buy a different one (even with the t-shirt and sweater underneath, this jacket won't offer much protection then). But for the winter "around the London's area", where the temperature can drop to something like 0 degree - this should be just OK (bearing in mind the sweater or v-neck jumper underneath).

Even though this may seems like a negative review, I actually like this jacket. The size "M" is perfect for me - I'm 172cm, 74kg (but this also would probably be perfect for somebody with 174-176cm height and body weight around 80-82kg) and as long as there is no heavy rain outside (and bearing in mind the other above mentioned points), you should be all right wearing it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A waterproof jacket - does what it says on the label, 13 Oct 2010
Keith Smith (Stockport, Cheshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I wanted a light weight waterproof jacket and knew this was not the cheapest on the market but the brand speaks for itself in terms of quality, so I purchased one. Can't say I've been disappointed yet after a few months wearing it. The only niggle I would say is the pockets are mesh inside so you cannot keep your hands arm in the jacket unless you're wearing gloves!!! Other than this excellent quality. I did shop around to see where the jacket could be brought cheapest in the colour I wanted (navy). Although there were cheaper outlet they did not have my size and colour so used amazon who I've also had good service from. Jacket arrived quickly so full marks to Amazon. Many thanks.

Berghaus Men's RG1 Shell Jacket