5.0 out of 5 stars Best value and quality clothing item!
Published on 26 Dec 2010

3.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight Jacket
Quite pleased with jacket as it is really light. On the downside, after brisk walking some perspiration builds up on inside of jacket which really surprised me as I thought that it was ' breathable'.
Published on 26 Oct 2009 by J. COOK

3.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight Jacket, 26 Oct 2009

5.0 out of 5 stars Best value and quality clothing item!, 26 Dec 2010
This RG1 is the replacement for my current one which has lasted me 12 (twelve) years of continuous wear, and I mean continuous heavy duty. With a jumper underneath it has provided ample warmth in Scotland in Winter, The Lake District in Winter and the aq inner lining IS without doubt 100% waterproof or WAS.Even NOW, the older jacket which is different in design AND material IS STILL SHOWERPROOF although the elastic on the cuffs need replacing (the design of the new jacket is obviously greatly improved on the old one).The net pockets, a feature which some seem concerned about giving way or holeing NEVER have in mine and my suggestion regarding carrying keys or loose change is to put either into a small plastic Bank Bag which folds inside itself, place this inside the pocket and zip it up!Hey-presto.No lost cash or keys or worry about torn pockets?I was tempted to buy my first one when I saw Chris Bonnington wearing Berghaus climbing Everest and I don't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Berghaus Rg1 Jacket, 28 July 2009
Highly delighted with this product which is certainly very good value for money and lives up to all expectations

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Jacket, 12 Mar 2010
M H (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a good purchase. I've been wearing practically all winter and not had cause to complain.

Only one small snag are the zips on the pockets; sometimes they get caught up in the material.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value, lightweight jacket, 6 July 2010
P. Filcek "Pete" (UK) - See all my reviews
Berghaus have a great name for jackets and this is no exception.
The RG1 is lightweight enough that it can be thrown in a bag or folded up but it's made from a nice durable fabric which should last a long time - it certainly gives a good impression of quality despite it's lightness. There's also a folding hood made from the same material (unlike some cheaper versions which make the hood from a nasty plastic material).

This is the unlined version - there is a more expensive, fleeced version available but for me this was more versatile since I can wear any fleece or layers under it to add warmth when it's needed but it's also suitable for the summer when you just want to slip something over a t-shirt during a shower.

A great jacket at a great price - plus people tell me it looks good too!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Water Proof Jacket But The Pockets Are A Let Down., 28 July 2009
This review is from: Berghaus Men's RG1 Jacket (Sports Apparel)
I am happy with this purchase, my only problem is with the pockets, they are made of netting and I wouldnt trust them to last very long if you always used them to keep your loose change and keys safe. But a good jacket I will be using my jeans pocket when I dont have a rucksack with me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Berghaus Men's RG1 Jacket, 2 Jun 2012
Koriel Tannhauser (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I've been using this type of jacked for the past 4 years and during that time I've been through 2 of them (through the winter/autumn/spring seasons I've been using it pretty much every day).

1. Is the jacket fully waterproof?
It is not. In case of a drizzle or any other small rain, it does what is supposed to do (the protection is good enough for this kind of rain). However, in case of a heavy rain/shower, you better have an umbrella with you as this jacket doesn't offer a lot of protection (which should be obvious as it wasn't designed for a heavy rainfall).

2. Is the jacket windproof?
A bit better here. Strong wind or not, it does its job quite well.

3. Is the jacket breathable?
Not really. If you run a lot with that jacket on, walk in the sun for about 10 minutes, or simply walk rapidly through the countryside/forest - you will feel quite warm inside very quickly (in winter this is not a problem; spring/autumn different story). So this is not exactly a "light" breathable jacket, but you can always keep the jacket open (which obviously helps a bit). For that reason, don't use/wear it when humidity is high (because the water particle - humidity - in the air blocks the heat evaporated from your body -> very rapidly you will feel quite hot while wearing it)

4. What about the quality of the product?
Never had any problems there: no problems with the zipper, pockets are deep enough to put some coins there; hood protection from the wind/rain is also good.

5. What about washing it in the washing machine?
It can obviously be done (at 30 degrees C) but after 1-2 washes the jacket will lose a bit of its water protection qualities. You will have to use some waterproofing spray to solve that - "Nikwax TX Direct Spray On" is probably a good choice here (as it is recommended by Berghaus). Also when washing, use soap powder or liquid with no fabric softeners (or any other conditioners) and air dry the jacket afterwards.

I've been also using this jacket during the winter in UK with just a t-shirt underneath (lowest temp was probably 0) but then again, I cannot recommend that for everybody as this jacket is not a "winter" one (I was born and raised in the country where winters could be very cold and long so it didn't bother me that much). However, the jacket can be used in winter as long as you put some warm clothes underneath - maybe a simple t-shirt with sweater or some v-neck jumper with the t-shirt underneath.

Side note: in northern part of UK, the temperature can often drop to -10, -15 degree centigrade during winter -> obviously this jacket in not designed for such weather. In this case I would suggest to buy a different one (even with the t-shirt and sweater underneath, this jacket won't offer much protection then). But for the winter "around the London's area", where the temperature can drop to something like 0 degree - this should be just OK (bearing in mind the sweater or v-neck jumper underneath).

Even though this may seems like a negative review, I actually like this jacket. The size "M" is perfect for me - I'm 172cm, 74kg (but this also would probably be perfect for somebody with 174-176cm height and body weight around 80-82kg) and as long as there is no heavy rain outside (and bearing in mind the other above mentioned points), you should be all right wearing it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellnt Value Jacket, 7 Aug 2010
This review is from: Berghaus Men's RG1 Jacket (Sports Apparel)
I bought this after trying it on in a Blacks store and it is excellent. It was delivered very quickly and in the right size and colour.

WARNING TO UNAWARE BUYERS: THE JACKET WILL NOT KEEP YOU VERY WARM UNLESS YOU WEAR A JUMPER/FLEECE UNDERNEATH.

Also, it isn't interactive (IA). This means it hasn't got an extra zip inside to zip in a Berghaus fleece (you'll need a 3-in-1 or Interactive (IA) Berghaus Jacket for that). Great value jacket, worth every penny. 5 stars *****.

5.0 out of 5 stars A waterproof jacket - does what it says on the label, 13 Oct 2010
Keith Smith (Stockport, Cheshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I wanted a light weight waterproof jacket and knew this was not the cheapest on the market but the brand speaks for itself in terms of quality, so I purchased one. Can't say I've been disappointed yet after a few months wearing it. The only niggle I would say is the pockets are mesh inside so you cannot keep your hands arm in the jacket unless you're wearing gloves!!! Other than this excellent quality. I did shop around to see where the jacket could be brought cheapest in the colour I wanted (navy). Although there were cheaper outlet they did not have my size and colour so used amazon who I've also had good service from. Jacket arrived quickly so full marks to Amazon. Many thanks.

4.0 out of 5 stars An urban jacket for temperate weather., 6 Jan 2010
Eugene Nyunt (London, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Berghaus Men's RG1 Jacket (Sports Apparel)
A high quality jacket at a useful price, although as of now (January 2010) for twenty GBP more there's an insulated version on other websites - two of the main High Street outdoors clothing/equipment retailers. In an urban setting this version will be fine, although when I took it to Berlin (Germany) in February 2009 during the cold snap I felt utterly frozen - despite having a mid-weight fleece on me, not to mention a t-shirt under that as well. A word about the sizing - those who traditionally lean towards small (in men's clothing) might be more at ease with an "extra small" for this product.

ARRAY(0xad1323cc)