I love this coat!

I've had several waterproof jackets in the past, but borrowed a coat similar to this from a friend recently to go out in a rain shower.

Published 7 months ago by Aaron

3.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight Jacket
Quite pleased with jacket as it is really light. On the downside, after brisk walking some perspiration builds up on inside of jacket which really surprised me as I thought that it was ' breathable'.
Published on 26 Oct. 2009 by J. COOK

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb coat, excellent waterproofing, looks great, proper hood made of the same material. I love it!, 15 July 2014
I love this coat!

What I love about this is that the jacket is well cut. By this I mean it is not excessively baggy. Every other coat I have had hangs off you and doesn't look great. This is sized well in all the right places. It is longer at the back, the sleeves are long enough, the sides are cut in slightly and the collar is tall and rigid enough to keep wind out of your neck.

I don't want to imply this is a tight fit as it is not, it is just suitable well cut to look good.

The lining is mesh, and is designed to be 'layered up' is it is cold. I have a thin berghaus fleece (purchased separately) which I use underneath if cold. Whilst these are not designed to zip into each other (there is no feature for that) they work perfectly together and allows you to configure the coat for whatever weather you like.

the waterproofing is good. Rain just beads off it. I read a review from someone criticising the waterproofing, but i can only imagine they had a defective coat as this coat has kept me bone dry in two most inclimate settings. There is the excellent double layered zip to keep rain from leaking through to zip, and the fold away hood is made of the same material, helping keep you dry and not look ridiculous like those silly thin fold away hoods on some coats.

I also read negative comments about the pockets as they are made of mesh. I think I should point out that these pockets are designed as such for keeping hands warm and out of the wind.. This is why they are mesh, so your hands don't become a sweaty mess inside nylon pockets. But to be honest, I keep things in the pockets and have no worry about losing anything. They zip up fine.

So yes, very highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best value and quality clothing item!, 26 Dec. 2010
P. WILLIAMS "huggy bear" (spain) - See all my reviews
This RG1 is the replacement for my current one which has lasted me 12 (twelve) years of continuous wear, and I mean continuous heavy duty. With a jumper underneath it has provided ample warmth in Scotland in Winter, The Lake District in Winter and the aq inner lining IS without doubt 100% waterproof or WAS.Even NOW, the older jacket which is different in design AND material IS STILL SHOWERPROOF although the elastic on the cuffs need replacing (the design of the new jacket is obviously greatly improved on the old one).The net pockets, a feature which some seem concerned about giving way or holeing NEVER have in mine and my suggestion regarding carrying keys or loose change is to put either into a small plastic Bank Bag which folds inside itself, place this inside the pocket and zip it up!Hey-presto.No lost cash or keys or worry about torn pockets?I was tempted to buy my first one when I saw Chris Bonnington wearing Berghaus climbing Everest and I don't regret it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Quality with Some Minor Niggle, 24 Nov. 2012
Kaio (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Berghaus Men's RG1 Shell Jacket (Sports Apparel)
I like this jacket's light weight, good wind protection while cycling, and adequate waterproof property (in addition to the L size being a perfect fit for me). I also agree with most of the good qualities mentioned by numerous reviewers, but one niggle that prompted me to write this review is the pocket zip mechanism.

I only had this jacket for a few days, and nine out of ten, the pocket zip catches the soft inner lining (and yes, takes a while to dislodge the lining caught by the zip). If the lining is stitched or glued around the pocket edges, then this problem would be gone, and it's disappointing that such premium quality jacket fails on such minor quality control. It is possible that the zip mechanism could eventually fail - unless some DIY job is called into action, such as gluing but again there may be a worry about warranty issues??

Great quality with a minor niggle with regard to the pocket zips, and hope the manufacturer takes note of such feedback as part of improving quality control.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight Jacket, 26 Oct. 2009

1.0 out of 5 stars amazon customer service. Terrible., 29 Jan. 2014
will not order from these again unless they change the exchage policy. ordered a large which was too big. tried to exchange for a medium, got told no we dont do that, only exchange for same size!! eh? why would i want to exchange for same size? ridiculous.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality item, just a couple of issues..., 10 Jan. 2012
Berghaus always make high quality outdoor products and this jacket is no exception. I got it for my boyfriend as a Christmas present - he cycles to and from work and so this jacket it perfect since it is lightweight but still properly waterproof (he has worn it in a few heavy rain showers since he got it and as yet, no leaks!) There are only 2 things I would like to say about it. Firstly the pockets are made of quite flimsy mesh, which tends to get caught in the pocket zips quite easily, so I'm not sure how long they'll last before they get holes in them. The only other thing is the sizing... after reading some other reviews about this product I opted for an XL, even though my boyfriend is normally just a large, because others have said the sizing is smaller than expected. Having got it, it actually seems a little baggy on him but I think if I'd got the large it may have been a bit tight round his chest (which is 42inch), particularly if he wore a jumper underneath, and this obviously wouldn't be good for cycling so we've kept the XL.

4.0 out of 5 stars Go for large if you're tall, 16 Aug. 2014
Amazon Customer (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
A bit smaller than I expected as I went for the medium instead of the large as some reviews had said it was a large fitting. I found this jacket a bit short. Luckily I have another Berghaus with Gortex which I'll be using a lot more than this. I can't complain too much as I got it for a good price at less than £35

4.0 out of 5 stars An urban jacket for temperate weather., 6 Jan. 2010
Eugene Nyunt (London, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Berghaus Men's RG1 Shell Jacket (Sports Apparel)
A high quality jacket at a useful price, although as of now (January 2010) for twenty GBP more there's an insulated version on other websites - two of the main High Street outdoors clothing/equipment retailers. In an urban setting this version will be fine, although when I took it to Berlin (Germany) in February 2009 during the cold snap I felt utterly frozen - despite having a mid-weight fleece on me, not to mention a t-shirt under that as well. A word about the sizing - those who traditionally lean towards small (in men's clothing) might be more at ease with an "extra small" for this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars highly recommended, maybe hood could be better?, 23 Feb. 2014
Mr. S. Ball "s7" (s wales) - See all my reviews
i had this at the unbelievable offer price of £28 delivered, for this price, it cant be beaten. It is used primarily for hiking, and is perfect in all weathers, from mild to hurricane, it keeps me cool and dry, completely keeps the wind out too. on couple of occasions though, i have gotten wet from the inside when doing strenuous work, this is not a fault though, as with all breathable garments, it can only breath so much. The ONLY issue for me, and this is a relatively minor issue, is the hood, it is simply too small and is at odds with the capability of the jacket itself in extreme weather, (the hood will not keep rain off your face, there's no 'peak') yet the hood is too bulky when stowed in the collar, however don't be put off by this as this jacket is not really designed for 'extreme' weather. One other minor point if i am being picky is the pocket zips, they are too fiddly to use wearing gloves, although im sure these cant be adapted using a small piece of cord or similar.

As for sizing, i am 173cms (5ft8in) and weigh 155lbs (11st1lb) and sit between 'small' and medium for this jacket, small is ok if minimal layers underneath, but would recommend medium when layering with microfleece etc. The sizing is consistent with UK garments.

The colour is choose was highland green and is practically the same shade as olive drab so goes well with military style packs etc, the colour is also subtle enough to wear for the morning commute without looking like you are backpacking.

All in all i highly recommend this jacket at the price I payed

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent jacket let down by zips, 10 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Berghaus Men's RG1 Shell Jacket (Sports Apparel)
I am a dog walker for a living, so I am out in all weathers with my canine charges. Hence, a really good and long-lasting waterproof jacked is an absolute essential piece of kit.

I chose the Berghaus RG1 jacket after both researching other makes and looking at the vast majority of positive reviews of it here on Amazon.

I have owned the jacket for around four months now and have used it for work (about six to seven walks, eight hours a day) exclusively since then.

Overall, I have been very pleased with my ownership of the Berghaus RG1. It has really helped me out in some foul weather conditions in this wet and windy winter of 2013/14 we have all had the misfortune to face in the UK.

The jacket appears well-made and when me and said pooches have the skies opening our heads and are being blown to buggery, I have been protected well, with the jacket offering decent waterproof protection and level of warmth, too.

I am particularly pleased with the level of re-assuring warmth and comfort the collar area of the RG1 offers me when fully zipped up. It is a great help when you are walking for a living to be kept warm in this area in particular when being pulled along in muddy field by an eager client on a cold and blustery day, so top marks from me on this point.

Where the Berghaus RG1 has proven both deeply frustrating and all too consistently inefficient to date is with the poor functionality of both its main and pockets zips.

Again, in my job, I need to be accessing the jacket's zips on a very regular basis: accessing poo bags, house keys, unzipping and taking off coat if doing a puppy sit visit etc. etc. Unfortunately, all too often, I have had to deal with the extreme frustration of pockets zips getting jammed when the mesh interior material gets caught up in them. Even worse has been the main zip for the coat getting caught up in the outer material over the top area of it; usually when you are attempting to zip in right up to the top.

On the five or six times this has happened so far, I have usually been able to ask my wife or a colleague to free me, and have also managed to unfree myself by fiddling around with it. That said, at times, I have come very close to breaking the main zip to 'escape' as I don't like the claustrophobic sensation of being trapped in things in general; so I would advise potential purchasers to bear these problems in mind prior to buying as I don't think these zip frustrations are unique to me alone.

Overall, I would say the Berghaus RG1 is a well-made piece of kit that does a very good job of keeping the wearer both warm and dry in adverse weather conditions; but with the one key reservation being over the efficiency and associated design flaws of its zips.

Regardless of the zips issues I have raised in this review, I feel a four star rating is a fair one for what is overall a well-made and effective wet/cold weather jacket.

Berghaus Men's RG1 Shell Jacket