4.0 out of 5 stars Never Ever Outgunned
Published on 19 Aug 2004 by A. Blair

3.0 out of 5 stars Death of the Prodigy Dancers?
Published on 24 July 2004 by hyperspeed

4.0 out of 5 stars Never Ever Outgunned, 19 Aug 2004
A. Blair "foetusonthebeat" (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
As with 'Fat of The Land', my expectations were high. After 7 years (give the guy some credit, he's had a kid and re-wrote this album only 2 years ago!) this electronic monster hits the shelf. 'Girls' was the obvious 'promotion single' which does mean that you may be disappointed at many tracks if you especiallyenjoy - and wish for more of - the 80's-esque, trashy, upbeat electro sound of this. The 'Spitfire' vocals are a kick in the teeth setting a gritty opener to the album, 'You'll Be Under My Wheels' (a re-work of their 'Extasy of Violence' Jilted Generation days track) is brilliantly spontaneous, as are 'Shoot Down' (featuring Liam Gallagher - not Oasis-esque vocals, fret not!) and 'The Way It Is'(another of the upbeat electronic monsters, though quite a formulaic sound on this album).
As fantastic as some of these tracks are though, you can't help but notice any lack of inspiration on tracks such as 'Action Radar', 'Phoenix' and 'Get Up Get Off' (purely a vocal-lead track), much of which seem repetitious. However, there is filler but there is also floor-filler, the latter of which makes this one of the best - and most surprising and enjoyable- releases this year!
(The absense of Keith and Maxim does NOT affect the quality of the tracks - the featured vocalists here provide much more flexibility within the music, and many of the guests tend to replicate the trademark Flint growls and smooth style of Maxim anyway.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Who says this album lacks punch?, 6 Sep 2004
By A Customer
This album certainly sounds different to previous stuff done by the prodigy. The most likely reason is the absence of Keith Flint and Maxim. Then again, most bands sound different when their trademark vocalists are absent - (take the sneaker pimps for example).
There's also a lot more female vocals and tooty-beepy sounds scattered around the place which give it that basement jaxx feel.
I like to think of this album as "Basement Jaxx - Kish Kash" on steroids. It has bucketloads of bassy, distorted guitars which is a good thing for rock lovers like me :). For this reason is it any wonder why it's going to sound different to anything the prodigy have done in the past?
To best describe the average song - take "serial thrilla" from "fat of the land", and replace Keith Flint's vocals with some Basement Jaxx/groove amada type vocals.
Contrary to what many are saying, there are better tracks than 'girls'. My pick is 'spitfire', 'memphis bells' and 'get up , get off'. Absolutely awesome album.

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll love it or hate it, but please try it!, 8 Sep 2004
I think, based on the different reviews that are on here, that this is an album you either really like, or really dislike.
It follows on from the Fat of The Land in the same way that the other Prodigy albums follow on from each other - by being different.
I remember the first time I heard Jilted Generation, after listening to Experience, and I thought 'Wow... different'
I got the same thing the first time I listened to AONO.
When the first track (Spitfire) hits, somethings feels familiar but the tone is different. In fact, the first 5 or so tracks have a familiar speed and rhythm about them, but the album is certainly a new style.
The thing that strikes me straight away is the 80's influence that tinges the album, including the use of drum samples that sound like they came from some of the early drum synths. Don't be put off though, this builds a theme and substance below the album and on tracks like Girls it really makes a good track great.
I thought it was odd when I heard an interview with Liam that he said that "You'll be under my wheels" was a filler track that he didn't really like. I think this is one of the gems on the album with its stop start action and hard hitting bass.
I have a feeling that the people who won't like this album are the people who wanted to hear Keith shouting and snorting on more tracks than he did on Fat. Personally I felt this was a poor direction for Prodigy and although it brought in a lot of new fans I think they liked the punkiness more than the electronic side of things. This album sounds like the Prodigy have taken a sidestep and taken the good bits from Fat and Jilted and put them together.
Certainly the album of the month, if not year.

4.0 out of 5 stars Different direction, 28 Jun 2006
As a big prodigy fan since their early stuff felt the need to input my four pence worth OMO. I find a number of people on here slate this album and I agree to a point with what they say but...
But can't agree with people who simply write it off as a failure. I think long time fans (incl. myself) will always tend to compare to their past which will undoubtedly give a biased opinion about the latest offering.
As an 'electronic' stand alone album this is a good album. And to newbie's to the prodigy this is probably an interesting piece and maybe better than their past work.
Personally I think this is a good album just not 'prodigy' sounding album entirely , 'Spitfire' reminds me of FOTL but the rest of it goes down different avenues. I thinks its a 'grower' as i keep playing and liking it more with every listen.
Hats off to Liam for having the balls to try some new ideas, as it must be hard with the pressure to stay ahead of the game, as their are many more great electronic acts out their.
Certainly not a revelation like their last two albums as they were ground breaking at the time and haven't really dated, unlike some of their rivals!
Maybe the next album will break the mould once more and take over the world!!!! nuff said, now shoot me down!

5.0 out of 5 stars A work of genius, 29 Jan 2005
There are two massive bands who made comeback albums in 2004 which sadly, did not get the recognition deserved, and receievd poor critical acclaim and low sales. These two albums are 'To the five boroughs' by the Beastie Boys and this by the Prodigy.Why was this? These are two albums show a career peak in my view, and are the bands finest to date. Always outnumbered is a great album with less polish than any other Prodigy record to date. The sound is fresh, stripped down and simply brilliant. A very ernest record indeed. It would be a shame not to own it

5.0 out of 5 stars So Different Yet Still So Prodigy, 26 Aug 2005
B. Broadribb (Wimbledon, England) - See all my reviews
When I first listened to this album I think the shock of how different it was to The Prodigy's previous work made me not appreciate just how good this album is. However after a few listens I quickly realised that this album contains some of The Prodigy's best work. I was very pleased Liam Howlett had moved away from the almost self-parodic sound of Baby's Got A Temper, a track I didn't hate but which did very little for me. Whereas one can see the progression from Experience to MFTJG to FOTL, the move to the sound of AONO is a leap that has come almost from out of nowhere. And not only does it work, but it is distinctly Prodigy-esque. Howlett has remained true to his legacy whilst changing a lot of things about the music he makes.
Almost every track on this album is superb, the only two I don't like that much being Action Radar, as I find it annoying after about a minute, and Shoot Down featuring the Gallagher brothers Liam and Noel, which sounds to me like it's trying to be a Chemical Brothers track but doesn't really pull it off. Standout tracks include Spitfire, Hot Ride (with lyrics lifted from The 5th Dimension's Up Up And Away - absurdly brilliant) and The Way It Is, the backing of which includes a cheeky sample from Michael Jackson's Thriller that works perfectly. It's unfair to name tracks as highlights as the album is generally just so brilliant. An album that will surely go down as a classic of the genre.

3.0 out of 5 stars Death of the Prodigy Dancers?, 24 July 2004
After such a long time since the release of the groundbreaking Fat of the Land album, I was hoping for something similarly fresh and exciting from the Prodigy. Although there are some excellent tracks on Always Outnumbered Never Outgunned, in particular Spitfire and Girls, not all tracks are of such a high caliber and I cannot help but feel let down by the bands latest offering.

3.0 out of 5 stars Notably different album than the previous three, 31 Dec 2009
O. Sampo (Finland) - See all my reviews
To my opinion, this album is notably different from the three previous albums ("The Experience", "Music for the Jilted Generation" and "Fat of the Land") of the Prodigy. The songs are not as melodic nor do they have similar drums / rhythm. Rather the songs are more full of ... "rattle" (sorry I just cannot find a suitable word in English). With this, I mean that the music contains more electric guitar and, well, influence from punk than the songs on previous albums.

If you have an opportunity to listen the album before buying, I suggest that do not stick to the two first songs, as they are probably the most well-known songs from this album and do not reflect the album as a whole.

As a conclusion, the album is not poor... it is just very much different than what I expected and thus, one has to listen the album through several times before the songs begin to "open". Yet, from all the five albums (the previously mentioned three, this one and the "Invaders Must Die") published by the Prodigy, I have to say that this one earns the lowest grading (3/5 stars).

5.0 out of 5 stars Prodigy is Howling, 23 Jun 2005
What have I heard about this album? Its not the same as before, It was a mistake for Liam to go it alone, if Babys got a Temper is a sign of what the Prodigy would be doing if they had the full group then I'm glad its just Liam. Fat of the Land is a good pop album but it is Prodigy at there most listener friendly. I only mention this as most of the negative reviews compare AONO to FOTL, which is an unfair comparison. If you look at the album compared to the time it was released then all of 4 albums are top produced pieces of Electronica.
AONO is right on the button, top breaks with wonderfully colourful synths, this is an album that will confuse you the first time you listen but everytime after that it will find something new to love.
Great Album but if you expect FOTL then find some Punk cos this is a dance album through and through.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sideways... maybe even baclwards, 19 Jan 2005
Sorry to sound repetitive but simply not as strong as previous music. Instead, I would recommend the Freestylers "Raw as..." - in contrast to the Prodigy, this is album is a significant improvement on their last.