Colour: Cream|Change

on 28 November 2009
I absolutely love this machine! Firstly, most importantly it makes wonderful coffee! It is also easy to use, easy to keep clean, quick in operation, takes up very little room and looks great to boot. I really cannot fault it. I purchased a separate Aerolatte jug after reading quite a few poor reviews of the Aeroccino jug, and between these two gadgets I now have a complete range of 'coffee shop style' coffees at my fingertips. Highly recommended.
on 18 September 2009
After glowing reports by my neighbour about her Magimix (the smaller version), I looked into a few models and felt this was the best for my needs. I prefer a 'cafe lungo' and this machine can accommodate a larger cup and allows for easy adjustment of the volume level. Ordering capsules is easy and making a delicious cup of coffee is childsplay. There is minimum cleaning involved and the machine sits neatly on the worksurface. Couldn't be happier.
on 3 September 2010
Great looking machine - better in the flesh than it looks in the photo. Great coffee every time. If you want a unit that makes a mess, costs five times as much and makes inconsistent espresso this isn't for you.

UPDATE: This is a follow-up to my previous review for this item, above. I've now had it for several months, and although the coffee is great and the machine is easy to use, the full cost of buying pods is becoming clear. If you use this machine three to four times a day, expect to pay around £25 a month for pods, excluding the extremely high delivery charge if buying online (I'm lucky in that I have a Nespresso "boutique" within half an hour's cycling distance). We've now bought a small cafetiere to use packs of ground coffee some of the time, reducing our Citiz use by half. If you're in London and used to paying high prices for coffee from specialist outlets, then the cost might not be a problem, but for me it feels very expensive for five sips compared with buying packs of ground coffee. However, the patent on the pods expires in 2012, so cheaper alternatives may become available. For the time being, though, it's a nice machine, but costly to use.
33 comments| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 January 2010
I got this for my son for Christmas and he loves it. It makes a great espresso or long black very quickly and easily. He also enjoys having a variety of different types of coffee available. The machine takes up a minimum amount of kitchen counter space and looks great.
on 9 November 2009
It took me ages to decide which expresso machine to buy because there are so many on the market. I am delighted with the Citiz machine, it is compact and stylish and fits into the kitchen without taking too much space. Making coffee couldn't be easier and cleaner than the Nespresso system. Because I drink my coffee black this machine is perfect without the complication of milk frothing. Perfect results every time within seconds. As always, Amazon delivery was prompt as I have come to expect!
on 25 March 2013
I have been umming and ahhing about buying a Nespresso for years and have bought all sorts of other coffee equipment in the meantime, most of which have proved time consuming and messy with uncertain results.
enter the Magimix Citiz - love it, love it, love it. It makes exactly the same cup of coffee in seconds every time. all the coffee I've tried has been better than some I've had in cafes. No burnt, stale, grotty flavours with the capsules. I can see why major restaurants now use these instead of a barista - no room for human error.
I've tried other compatible pods which have been adequate but find the Nespresso ones I like are smoother/ richer/ nicer. Keep a list when you work through the sample pack so you remember what you liked and what you didn't PPfor when you need to reorder. People comment about the cost of Nespresso capsules but is 29p expensive for a cafe compatible cup of coffee? Really?
I usually heat milk in the cup in the microwave for a minute or preheat with boiling water before topping up with the coffee as using a cold cup can suck all the heat out of the coffee in seconds even though the coffee is very hot when added to the cup. Even Nespresso can't compete against the laws of thermodynamics unfortunately
so all in all a top purchase which I regret not buying a lot earlier.
on 9 March 2012
I've had this for about 3 weeks now and have already got through about 100 capsules. I use it in a small office, mainly for myself and a couple of colleagues. I'm usually too lazy to write reviews, but felt that I needed to balance what has already been written. My experience has not been as positive.

I've previously mostly used bean-to-cup machines, but also a semi-manual machine and another nespresso device (can't remember which one, think it's discontinued).

The best thing about this machine is the size. It really doesn't take up much space and the tank is a reasonable size. There is a drawer for expelled capsules - this seems to take about 10. So in theory you can get through quite alot of coffee before needing to empty/clean anything. It is pretty simple to set up and doesn't (yet) really need a clean.

I also like the style, though frankly it doesn't feel that robust.

However, (obviously) unlike a bean-to-cup machine which stores the beans in a hopper, you need to feed the capsules one at a time. So I have a box of capsules next to the machine which doubles its footprint. I got a "totem" holder free with my "welcome" order of 250 capsules - but this is a horrible plastic thing and it's in the bin along with a glossy telling me it is part of the "glass collection"!

But my biggest gripe is that the coffee is just too cold. Put an espresso into an unwarmed cup and it ends up little more than luke warm (though looks and tastes OK). My colleagues prefer americano. It should be possible to use this machine to let more water run through, but they much prefer to boil a kettle and top up with that. The result is acceptable, but a bit of a hassle.

For espresso, your really must warm the cups first. You can achieve this by running some water through the machine and letting it stand for a few seconds. But the results aren't really satisfactory in my opinion.

The machine has two drip trays. One underneath where the cup stands and another inside and under the draw where the capsules are ejected. This latter one is very shallow. In normal usage this works fine as on ejection the capsules seem to retain any residual liquid, so the capsule draw fills before the drip tray underneath. However, if you run water through the machine (without a capsule) to warm the cups, then some water is expelled into this tray as you open the top to place your capsule in. I'm finding that the shallow tray becomes full after every 3 or 4 coffees, so I'm pulling out the drawer to access the drip tray long before it is filled with capsules.

A final point (compared with bean-to-cup) is that whereas used coffee grinds are stored quite efficiently in a bean-to-cup, a pile of capsules takes up more space.

So my conclusion is this. You can get reasonable coffee out of this machine if you like a lungo/americano style and don't mind topping up/warming with water from a kettle. Failing that, the situation is not too bad if you use water from the machine to heat the cups first. Either way is inconvenient. You either need trips to a kettle or must empty the internal drip tray more frequently than you'd want to.

You have to sacrifice convenience in order mitigate shortcomings.

EDIT: Further comments after over a year in use.
I have upgraded my rating from 2* to 3*.

I must have put at least 1200 capsules through this machine. It is looking nice and stained now! I have never cleaned it and never de-scaled it (and water is hard around here). It never fails and this is the principal reason for upgrading to 3*. I admire the reliability despite my lack of care. I still think that the coffee is a bit cold though.

I will shortly buy a bean-to-cup again. I would like more variety of coffee and the Nespresso capsules do work out a bit expensive, especially as consumption is increasing. The capsules do take up space too - both before use and after use. Recently I've had some very nice coffee out of bean-to-cups in various places and I know my Nespresso would struggle to compete. I'll probably keep the Nespresso at home and use the bean-to-cup in the office.

I tried the Nespresso recyling service, ordering 3 bags and later booking a collection. The guy that came said he could only take 1 bag and asked me to book a separate collection for the other two. (We're not talking dustbin sacks here.) As I wasn't going to be around for the second collection, I left them out. Somebody in the office later complained that the collection guy couldn't find them. When I checked the CCTV it turned out somebody has stolen them! I suppose seeing the smart green Nespresso bags, he thought he'd got something valuable! Think I'll just bin them in future. Otherwise the capsule service works fine, but I'd much prefer it if I could buy them in Tescos (even at the same price).
on 9 April 2010
The Nespresso system creates the best coffee I have tasted in over 30 years of coffee drinking. On top of that this particular machine is both stylish and practical - easy to use and clean, looks classy on the kitchen worktop, and takes up so little space! All this plus top quality coffee available at the touch of a button; great flavour and a lovely crema from the 19 bar pressure. Although coffee capsules have to be purchased by mail order via the Nespresso Club website, I have found the site easy to use, and delivery very quick and reliable. Not a budget option, but very cheap compared to coffee from retail outlets, and worth every penny in my opinion.

Might have given 4.5 stars if possible, only because there are no easy arrangements for recycling the used capsules, but it's the coffee that counts at the end of the day... or at the start, or mid morning, or lunchtime etc!

Top marks to Amazon, as usual, for price, service and speed of delivery. Very happy customer. Time for a coffee now I think!
on 4 January 2011
The design is very sleek and compact without compromising on the size of the water tank. My only complaint is that the pods are not easy to position and between 25% and 30% of the time they don't engage correctly and the machine fails to dispense coffee. There then ensues the fiddly business of opening up the drawer and to seek out and retrieve the pod that hasn't been used and to attempt to put it back into the machine.

The coffee itself is wonderful - perfect flavours and at the perfect temperature.
on 3 March 2010
I think the coffee that this machine makes is unbelievable nice! It's like drinking a coffee from the best coffee shop in town!!! It's true that is a bit noisy, but the noise lasts only a few seconds (the time that takes to make a coffee). I would definetely recommend it to coffee lovers!