4,638 Reviews
 (3,676)

5.0 out of 5 stars X-Mini II Speakers
As someone who does a lot of travelling around the country, I find it very useful to have a set of portable speakers that can be plugged into my MP3 player so as to listen to music without headphones. Unfortunately the sound quality you get from most portable speakers is very poor with the bass in particular, failing to impress.

When I ordered my x-mini, I did...
Published on 13 Jan 2010 by Richard Belbin

1.0 out of 5 stars Problem with battery
Published on 5 Aug 2010 by Robert Colvin

5.0 out of 5 stars X-Mini II Speakers, 13 Jan 2010
Richard Belbin (Dundee, Sco) - See all my reviews
This review is from: XMI X-Mini II 2nd Generation Capsule Speaker for iPhone/iPad/iPod/MP3 Player/Laptop - Black (Electronics)

When I ordered my x-mini, I did so because of the size and design rather than any expectation of performance. However, these portable speakers are a very impressive piece of kit, so impressive in fact that as soon as I had seen my first one in action, I went straight online to buy a second.

The speakers are powered by an internal battery which can be charged through an included usb cable. The sound quality is so good that I use my speakers as replacement for my laptops speakers when listening to music and thus running low on charge hasn't been a problem for me so I can't comment on battery life further than what the official statement has to say. The sound quality as stated before is very good, the speakers can't quite cope flawlessly with the loudest parts of some songs when everything is turned up to full volume, but I think to expect that may be unrealistic for a portable speaker in this price range. Even saying that the volume these guys can produce without any distortion is amazing. The bass is far superior to any of the other portables I've used and the size is perfect for just throwing in a bag when you're on the road. There is also a system in place which means you can "buddy jack" numerous x-mini's thus further increasing their sound output. All the equipment required for this, as well as charging comes included so you don't need to worry about buying extra cables or peripherals.

All in all these are a great purchase and I've already recommended them to some friends. They should be seriously considered if you're looking to invest in some portables. I honestly think they would be cheap at twice the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another 5 Star Review, 13 July 2009
There's a good reason this product has so many 5 star reviews.

One of the most impressive buys I've made in a long time. Eventhough this is possibly a 'gimmick' it works as a decent enough speaker in it's own right and is highly useful for a number of different situations.

Incredibly small and convenient to transport, the XMI Mini pops open it's accordian centre to allow it to work similarly to a subwoofer. The punchy bass produced from such a small effect is genuinely impressive. The highs and mid-range are not too bad, with the former being much more dependant on the direction the speaker is pointing. After testing it out on multiple genres, electronic music is probably the most impressive - but anything with decent bass is going to show what this speaker can do.

No these are not replacements for a hi-fi, that's so obvious it almost doesn't need mentioning, but for 'small convenient speaker soloutions' these will really impress. Do you need something to use with your laptop? they'll do the job. Need music for a picnic? These are perfect.

One of my first thoughts after plugging it in for the first time was: I want to buy another one. Sure enough, the subsequent day my second speaker came. Unfortunately, here come my only gripes: when you have two on full volume, the imperfections of each are significently magnified. Just one speaker on full volume doesn't sound too distorted even when tested on a variety of music, but two on full volume and thee's a massive reduction in quality. This means you'll have to lower the volume and then it's worth wondering whether the increase in sound is worth having two. It's definitely louder, but I can't help but feel more impressed with them on their own for some reason. - Just something to consider if, like me, you felt the need for two.

The battery life is great, easy to charge. The headphone jack tucks away neatly into the device. The thing looks good, feels reasonably sturdy. Overall it's just a very impressive device.

This is a great gadget, it's cheap, it's loud, it's convenient and it's worthy of all the great reviews it's recieved here.

5.0 out of 5 stars X mini 2, and stereo, 9 May 2009
Great little speakers - plenty of sound and staying power - tiny and easy to transport bought two of these and use a left/right splitter lead to obtain true stereo (e.g. Maplin L39BA)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best value for money purchase ive made in a while, 28 May 2009
M. Patel - See all my reviews
Saw a good review of this on the net and i'm going backpacking this summer so it seemed perfect. It's much smaller and louder than i expected it to be, and really good value for money. in diameter its roughly 6cm and about 4cm in height. the built in audio lead means you don't need anything extra and even comes with its own little pouch for packing. Plus as for audio quality i couldn't ask for more in one speaker and the bass is impressive.

i'd reccomend getting the usb-plug charger too which means you can charge your ipod and this and save individual charger space. Overall thoroughly impressed.

5.0 out of 5 stars X mini 2, 29 May 2009
This is a quality product with great functionality .I use 2 of these with a splitter lead as a replacement for my ipod docking station however this has the added bonus that it is extremly compact and portable.

The sound quality of these speakers is great considering the size and cost but if you are a real audiophile you may be a bit disapointed.

For me if you are looking for a small travel speaker this product is the way to go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Some ideas on getting the best out these little marvels, 25 Jun 2009
I have just bought an X-Mini II and am very impressed with it. Really, very impressed. It has provided an improved sound to all of my various portable devices that I have plugged it into (Palm TX, Nokia, iPod, netbook computer, CD player, LCD projector - the list goes on). It is really portable, and I love the way it is rechargeable. Now I have a couple of suggestions to get the best out of these little marvels:

1. Take care when setting them up. When I first plugged mine into my computer (the first source I tried) there was heavy distortion even at a low volume. I thought the X-Mini II was to blame, but then I looked over the volume adjustment options of my computer and found that all the volume controls were up High. So, I adjusted the Wave slider down to mid-way avoid the risk of the signal there getting over-loaded and adding distortion, then I adjusted down the Master volume control to mid-way. After that I played with the level on the X-Mini volume control itself and then went back to play with the Master control. That way I got a MUCH better sound at the volume I wanted. Obviously the volume level available from the X-Mini is so high that it easily makes input distortion audible, and worse. The same control issue applies to any other source - be careful to NOT wind up the volume from the source to full - e.g. the volume control of an MP3 player - as then the output to the speaker will probably be distorted and the speaker will just then amplify distorted sound, sound terrible, and give the impression that it is the speaker at fault when it's not, it's the input signal. Instead start mid-way with the source volume, adjust the speaker, and then play more with the source volume (PS: The volume slider on the X-Mini is so well 'disguised' that at first when I used it I didn't realize it was there, hence my first reaction to wind up the volume on the source, which increased the distortion!)

2. Right now the speaker sits on its base pointing up, but, that is not good for high frequency. Pointed up towards the ceiling I lose much of the directional high frequency and the sound is a bit flat. You can get a much better sound when the driver is pointed towards your ears, but the shape of the speakers - round - means they automatically tend to roll back to the vertical. So, try something like a wedge of paper (or something more elegant if you can - I have used egg-cups as one way!) to get them on a slant. Pity about this one - there should be an integrated solution, like a flat side or pop-up foot (like my keyboard has) - I hope that is looked at for the next up-grade!

1.0 out of 5 stars Problem with battery, 5 Aug 2010
Robert Colvin (UK) - See all my reviews
After buying this and finding that the battery wouldn't charge, I then discover through researching the problem on the web, that many users have experienced exactly the same thing with brand new units. It appears that the manufacturer has also acknowledged the problem and identified that the battery can go 'dry'. However, with no doubt thousands of these units still within the distribution chain, it appears that no recall has been initiated and that these 'suspect' units are instead being sold at a discount. Please note that there is a X-mini II "2nd Generation" speaker available to buy on Amazon, which costs about 6 more than this one. I presume this is exactly the same speaker with a fix for the battery issue.

I have returned the speaker and requested a refund, although I'm not sure I'll be buying an XMI with the money.

UPDATE (27/09/2013). I was rather confused with the comments on my review by others, who insisted on referring to the 2nd generation (2G) version of this speaker, despite my original review being about the 1G version. I see that my review is now associated with the 2G version. Presumably this is because Amazon stopped selling the 1G (or ran out of stock) so they just moved all reviews for the earlier version on to the subsequent version. Extremely bad practice by Amazon as there are clearly now reviews for this 2G version that do not apply, and never did apply. Let me make it clear, my review was for the 1G variant which now appears to no longer be available. I can't vouch for the quality of the 2G as I've never owned it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Effective and endearing!, 9 Nov 2009
Sweet little speaker - the size of a satsuma. Solid build, and good connectors. Don't be fooled into thinking this has great sound and thumping bass, coz it doesn't. But what it does have is good sounds relative to its size - it will make your MP3 player or laptop listenable in a small room. Definitely a step up from built-in speakers on a laptop, with the bass being marginally more accessible. You'll really like it as long as you don't expect this to fill a stadium!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just thought I would let people know..., 14 Aug 2009
You CAN listen and charge at the same time :D When I was debating buying this, I was reading reviews saying you couldn't. I'm not sure if they had an older version or what but you can definitely charge and listen at the same time. So if anyone was wondering, now you know!

The light should be red instead of blue when you are charging but you can still turn it on (it stays red) and listen. Maybe people just didn't turn it on because the light is red whether it's on or off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Look no further, 4 Oct 2010
I had been on the hunt for iPod speaker/dock that I could take out during the summer. I think these were recommended on an amazon e-mail and they caught my eye. After a quick look on YouTube, I decided to go ahead and buy them. I definitely advise you do the same. They're incredible value and unbelievably loud. The first time you play your music through them you'll have an urge to show them off! They were also delivered really quick on the free delivery option. Best purchase in a long time.