5.0 out of 5 stars Better than ever . . .
For the last 25 years at least I have been using Sennheiser headphones.
I currently have 5 pairs that I use very frequently but the newest ones are the ones you want to know about.

Published on 8 Oct 2009 by Joseph Stalin

3.0 out of 5 stars Sadly this greatly increased low end really ruins what would otherwise be an excellent pair of headphones
Whilst initially I found these headphones to be quite impressive, after some prolonged listening they proved themselves not to be so. The main issue is that the low end frequencies are massively over pronounced, and whilst this sounded okay for some recordings from the 70s which I checked them on (Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" is one of my go-to albums for...
Published 11 days ago by Daniel Steven Lowndes

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than ever . . ., 8 Oct 2009
This review is from: Sennheiser HD 380 Pro Collapsible High end Headphones - Black (Electronics)
For the last 25 years at least I have been using Sennheiser headphones.

I had been using a pair of Sennheiser HD280 Pro [64 Ohm] and I was very happy with them and then early this year I heard about the "upgrade" to these, the HD 380 Pro and being a bit of a sound nerd I had to have some.
Was it worth it? Well, yes it was!

They are slightly lighter, they fold better and come with their own case, they have a curly lead rather than the straight one for the 280s and they are even more comfortable for long time listening!

But what you really want to know about is the sound quality - they are better in all respects . . . the sound is great!
The bass is tight with a crisp attack but it does go quite deep and sounds really good.
The midrange is musical, well controlled with a good soundstage - the instruments are well placed.
The treble is tight, high without being shrill and hangs onto the top notes say of cymbals without becoming papery and thin.
The sound altogether is musical, well controlled and not coloured - if you want deep booming bass and greatly coloured sound then these are not for you.
All told, these for me are superb headphones and I am delighted to have made their acquaintance.
Oh yes . . . and I also use them with my iPod and that sounds even better too . . .

I give them 5 stars for sound and 5 stars for comfort.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best headphones I've had, 5 Sep 2010
After a good while deciding what new headphones to get have just taken delivery of these and they are fantastic. Come with neat case and pack away tidily so very portable for a full size headphone. Sound quality is brilliant, currently listening to all my old collection again and marvelling at the new detail I can hear. Have been listening to Pink Floyd since I was a teenager back in the 1970s through dozens of different systems and these blow everything away. Very comfortable (for someone who has been known as "wingnut" in the past...enough said!) and well built. Good screw on adaptor. A clever design well executed, you won't be dissapointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value fror money - fantastic sound!, 3 Mar 2012
After considerable research into the headphones market I decided these were the best buy for the price - £101.98 with free delivery. The key specification to look for is the frequency response. This is the range of sound frequency the headphones are capable of reproducing - in the case of the HD 380 pros this is a rather incredible 8Hz - 27Khz. I already have a pair of Sennheiser RS120 (wireless) and they are fantastic too, although the build quality is not as good as the HD380s and the volume control has gone very flaky after 5 years but they still work well. The HD 380s are very well built - sturdy, robust and very comfortable to wear for extended listening. The thin leather cushioned pads while very comfortable, probably won't last very long with my raspy stubble so I hope you can buy replacements.

The most important difference between my RS120s and the HD380s though is the frequency response. The RS120s are 20Hz - 20Khz and also a different style of phones as the RS120s are open backed and the HD380s closed. Now, the physical audible range of hearing for all of us human beings is 20Hz - 20Kz if you are young with no damage to your hearing through illness or long exposure to loud noise (like a career as a sound engineer with Hawkwind for example). Human hearing also naturally deteriorates as we get older, and the audible bandwidth narrows slowly over time (one good reason why responsible personal audio player manufacturers like Apple limit the volume of their iPods).

So why is a headphone frequency range of 8Hz - 27Khz so useful? I hear you ask sceptically. Well, it is this - the limits of the human audio spectrum is extended at both ends by the human body's amazing ability to recognise subsonic information through - vibration. Ask any profoundly deaf person about this, they will tell you there is a wide spectrum of the experience of 'sound' available to them in this way. With me so far? - still awake? ok, the deal is this: Because the HD 380s have such a wide audio spectrum AND because they are closed style headphones, lower frequencies are 'felt' through the effect of the vibrations on the delicate mechanics of the inner ear - enhanced by a tighter hermetic seal with your ears through the sprung headband. I have to say, the experience of all this is breathtaking at times. There is a richness to lower frequencies which simulate the the accoustics of the actual recorded soundspace - be it a closely miked accoustic guitar or cello, or an entire orchestral concert hall. The isolation of the closed backs really focus your attention on the sound you are listening to and the higher frequencies such as bells, cymbals and triangles for example, are crystal clear and spine-tinglingly impressive.

Finally, (thank goodness - at last ;o) the soundstage is very engaging indeed - it really draws you in. You hear about surround sound simulation headphones - well with these you don't need them. The 3D soundstage is totally immersive and if you really let yourself go into the music (or sound of any kind) you can lose yourself in a beautiful sonic experience!. This of course depends on the quality of the production values of the source sound, your sound system, and the quality of the digital files you are listening to. Avoid MP3s like the plague - go for at least AACs with a 128 kbit/s bit rate if you can - direct from CD is better and DVD-Audio or SACD even better still. The audio range of iPod is 20hz - 20Hz but with the HD380s the sound is amazing with Apple AAC files. I could go on - but I hear a growing wave of subsonic snoring coming from the interweb. So I am going to stop now, put the HD380's back on and drift away back into my amazing sensual 3D aural world as I walk among the orchestra performing Janacek's Sinfonietta...

My advice to you is buy these headphones!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sennheiser HD 380 Pro Professional Monitoring Headphones, 19 Jan 2011
Alex Botwright "Eventorizon" (England) - See all my reviews
I brought these headphones as replacement and improvement on my old HD 205 headphones. After 2 years of service the 205's had failed at the jack; some kind of electrical connection failure. Shame, because for the money they are very good. One of the reason's I brought the 380's is because of the replaceable cable; it is really annoying when something simple like that kills a perfectly good piece of equipment with no chance of repair.

The one thing I have above all else is a good ear for balance and audio quality; apparently, I don't think I am anything special in this field but the rest of my secondary music department used my for anything to do with sound quality. I have been doing music of various forms for the past 12 years (that might have something to do with it, I don't know) and I have never come across anything this good at this price range. I have been lucky enough to have tried a pair of Sennheiser HD 800 headphones (RRP £999!) and of course the 800's are better but for a 8th of the price (on amazon anyway) the 380's produce stunning quality.

For testing purposes I used several tracks on my iPod touch which I thought wolf give the headphones a good work out...

-Enterprising Young Men -Michael Giacchino -Star Trek The motion Picture
-Uprising -Muse - The Resistance
-Adagio For Strings - Tiesto -Parade Of The Athletes
-Four Seasons -Joe Satriani -Live
-1st Movement -Mahler -Symphony Number 4
-Requiem For Tower -Escala -Escala
-Glitter And Trauma -Biffy Clyro -Infinity Land

(All of these, bar Four Seasons was ripped at full quality on iTunes, which was a 480p video on youtube through the touch.)

The 380's performed superbly on every occasion. They gave a very full quality to the brass, allowed the rumble of the timpani's to carry on and even brought out some bass notes that I did not know existed in Enterprising Young Men. Let the synths and guitar sing out while still giving my ears a right good thump in Uprising; not to mention the crack of the snare. Let me hear the tiniest details in the synthisiser of Adagio For Strings while once again letting me hear the rumble of the bass beat. Four Seasons was a surprise though, I seemed quite messy at times, unclear. The guitar stuck out well but the backing sound like a mash of noise. However this was the lowest quality track by a big margin. The sleigh bells in Mahler 4 were crystal clear and the quality of each instrument was superb, even catching the very full sound of the string and woodwind double ups. Requiem For Tower was a wonder. A full and round double bass, singing violins over the top with a forceful and the 380's even showed up the slight rasp from the beginning of the trumpet note. I even heard a guiero in there as well as rainstick which were both completely new to me.
Last but not least Glitter And Trauma. Now I have been to see Biffy on a number of occasions at various venues and I have heard Glitter And Trauma at most of them. Ok, nothing compares to live music but I still got that same excitement and glee when I heard them through the 380's. Yes music is a BIG part of my life and I am probably more emotional about it than most people but you cant deny that you don't get a serious kick when you are in the right place at the right time listening to your favourite piece of music. And these headphones make it all the sweeter.

Overall these are great headphones that please on every level musically and for comfort. The cable is a little heavy but it is going to last a heck of a lot longer than your standard headphone cable and if it does get damages it is replaceable. I am going to spend many hours enjoying my music with these headphones and when I return to reality be very very glad I got them; they are sensational!

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommend Sennheiser HD380 Pro - for ANY device, 10 Mar 2012
This is my first ever review of a product but felt the need to help anyone needing a similar recommendation such as myself when looking to pay reasonable money for a good pair headphones to last.
Purchased these after a lengthy look at others' reviews on Amazon, t'internet and also the YouTube videos.
After the time I spent looking, I hope you won't need to much longer, save your time and just buy a pair.
I found the other reviews to be on the whole very accurate, these Sennheiser HD380 Pro are excellent headphones at a relatively reasonable price.
Received in good time from Amazon as always, they were well packaged and supplied with their own decent quality padded case which is more than capable of protecting from being dropped.
The phones are supplied with quite a long cable but recommend buying an extension if you find the coiled cable not enough. They fold up in the case quickly (in seconds) neatly with the cable and do look as though designed well for being folded and handled.
Ok the sound, well my hearing is good and to me the sound is better than listening to monitor quality speakers eg Rogers LS3/5A connected to the same amplifier, that is how good they are. These produce what I would call very good, accurate monitor quality sound.
They are extremely accurate, good dynamic range even at low sound levels, not tiring to listen to for long periods.
The highs are very consistant, the bass is extremely rich and these but not boomy or excessive (with a good amplifier), vocals and mid range are very clean indeed, so can be used for any music or just listening to the TV or radio in peace. Your ears don't get particularly hot, they fit any size head and ear and stay in position without being uncomfortable. They work as well at very low volumes allowing you to hear only louder background noises to high volumes.
The frequency response is 8 to 27000 Hertz (Look at Sennheiser website for supplied accessories and specifications) so the bass you hear is likely to be deeper and richer than your home speakers including monitors which don't always respond well below even 15 Herts or car stereos around 60hertz.
These do have a removeable/ replaceable lead (pulls out sideways) and replaceable foams and also very rugged build. The headphone lead drops out of the left side headphone and hangs away so not to be nuisance, the lead runs straight for about 20 inches from headphone, then coiled, and straight 8 inches running into the jack plug, the cable hangs around 4 1/2 foot unstretched. If you want a good pair of headphones where you can enjoy the sound everytime you use them -they won't get any better than these for the price. If you are looking to use an extension lead, you can buy any standard 3.5mm (or 6.3mm) socket to 3.5mm (or 6.3mm)jack extension cable but don't forget its for stereo. Good with any device from (especially Ipods/ laptops) your TV to Amplifiers. Also would consider using these for long flights to remove unwanted noise even if not listening to anything... they are that comfortable..so from listening to radio/ TV/ Nickelback to Lacuna Coil or Lara Fabian happy listening =:--) [...]

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb cans for the price, 22 Dec 2010
David Bradshaw "hassleddad" (London) - See all my reviews
The sound from these cans is superb and detailed. The quality is as good as my now rather ancient HD 595s, which I've used as my "reference" phones for some years, however, the bass is quite a lot more prominent. If you like rock music, these are a good choice for you! I've used a variety of sources, including an iPod, a Zune, computer, amplifier and in-flight entertainment systems and had good sound with plenty of volume from all these sources.

In terms of noise isolation, I agree with the other reviewers, these attenuate ambient noise but you can still hear clearly what's going on around. On a long-haul flight the background roar and announcements were still audible (if I didn't have the volume cranked up to painful...), on the London Underground I could hear announcements, and in the office I could hear the phone next to me ring, but in all environments, I could still enjoy the music or follow the film dialogue easily.

So why not five stars? The main reason is the curly lead which is a nuisance, especially when using it on the train or plane, and even sometimes at home. I'd much prefer a straight lead.

5.0 out of 5 stars The coiled lead DOES unplug, 3 Oct 2011
Everyone else will correctly tell you that these will blow you away. Outstanding sound and build quality. It is non obvious how the lead unplugs from the Headphones. Don't pull the cable. Slide it sideways and it comes out without trouble. Unusual right angle 2.5mm gold plated jack. 5 starts for design as the cable wont pull out by mistake. Shame they forgot to tell anyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic sound quality and build, 2 Aug 2010
The sound quality is the best I've heard on any headphones yet, and the build quality is right up there as well. As long as you have the padding covering you head without any gaps, ie glasses creating gaps, the bass response is simply amazing. I had a pair of Sony MDR-V500DJ headphones which broke only after 8 months of use, but looking at the build quality of these headphones I'm sure they will last a lot longer.

5.0 out of 5 stars just wait till they BREAK IN!, 28 Feb 2011
I did my research before buying a pair of headphones, I needed a pair for just general home use and for travelling and these certainly do the job! They are extremely sturdy and have got a good build on them, more than what I can say for Beats Bt Dre Solo's, had a pair of them and they snapped in 3 days. I mainly listen to old school gangsta rap like Bone Thugs-N-Harmony and these supply great quality sound. I tested these out on metal songs by Slipknot, I used Before I Forget and Three Nill and they sounded amazing! And only a 100! if your looking for a great headset, place your order now, you wont be disapointed! and they are extremely comfortable, you can wear them for hours with no discomfort!

4.0 out of 5 stars tight sound, but also tight fitting.., 28 Dec 2010
The headphones were everything I hoped for, and more...but unfortunately they fit a little too tight on the head which leads to your ears getting a bit sweaty if you're in a warm room.

Also the cord is a bit annoying as its curled, I'm going to get that sorted and replaced soon. All those points are superficial in regards to the actual quality of the headphones - which s fantastic.

Conclusion - def buy this but maybe think twice if your studio is very warm..