5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most intelligent dramatic scores in existence
Published on 18 Mar 2001

2.0 out of 5 stars Quantity rather than quality
Published on 21 Jan 2001 by Quantium

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most intelligent dramatic scores in existence, 18 Mar 2001
By A Customer
The panoply of emotions that this soundtrack conveys is something of a 20th century feat in film music. From the deeply mechanical movements of the ship to the woeful outpourings of its doomed passengers, Horner manages to play an important role in our suspension of disbelief as viewers. If any one composer has made moviegoers feel more empathy towards characters and strikingly conveyed the grandeur of the mother of all moving objects then it is Horner. What is most intelligent with this soundtrack though is his inherent ability to blend the most authentic music of the time with the modern. To understand the size of achievement here we can't say that we have something bigger than John Wiliiams's Star Wars or ET which revolutionised our viewing of modern film, but we can say that it comes pretty near, especially when we look at the technological blending of music that Horner manages to so convincingly and satisfyingly manipulate. Music can extend the emotional and psychological range of characters and envelop and involve audiences in ways nothing else in movies can, and with this soundtrack Horner has done it perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most listened to CD I have ever bought, 29 Jan 2002
By A Customer
I bought this when the film came out and all I can say is thank God it is not an audio cassette or it would have worn out by now. Whilst every track is fantastic the best are the haunting "Rose", "The Sinking" (fantastic violin playing) and the "Death of Titanic" - haunting and robust. The score runs in much the order of the film so you can imagine the scenes in the correct order when listening to it. The only (small) critisim I have is that "A Building Panic" from Horner's follow-up "Return to Titanic" was not included here between tracks 8 and 9. Otherwise, if you're one of the very few who doesn't own this CD yet, go out and buy it. It should be in your collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars WHO NEEDS THE SEA TO KEEP TITANIC AFLOAT, 4 Sep 2003
Well James horner has produced a wonderfull score which captures
the drama and the majesty of story of titanic, the music tells it's own story as we watch and remember those who lost their lives in this maritime disaster.
this soundtrack has many great highlights, DISTANT MEMORIES, SOUTHAMPTON, ROSE, LEAVING PORT, HARD TO STARBOARD AND HYMN TO THE SEA.
for those who love horners music this is a great score to have,
i play this cd all time, it's wonderfull.

2.0 out of 5 stars Quantity rather than quality, 21 Jan 2001
This review is from: Titanic (Audio CD)
I bought this CD set after seeing the movie on VHS, and chose this rather than the others on the basis that it was cheaper and had more music. But I have to admit it seems to me to be a case of "getting what you pay for" in this particular instance. To give a fair criticism I certainly need to listen all the way through to more than one version of the CD, but still this is my impression as a customer. If you want 2hrs of Titanic based background music while you work then go for this set. If you want an accurate rendition of what you heard as background in the film, then go for one of the shorter more expensive versions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining score, 16 Sep 2009
R. Morrison "mondo" (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
James Horner's music is one of the best things about the film Titanic. I played it many times when I first bought it on cassette in the late nineties. I've now picked it up on SACD ten years later and the score is still a great listen. OK, there's a Celine Dion song on there, but there's lots more of interest on here. There's the Irish-themed songs, highlighting the romanticism of the sea and moving to a better life. The theme for Rose is a sweet piece, perfect for the character. The rest of the CD deals with the drama of the ship, then the greater drama of its demise. It won a deserved Oscar. If you're a collector of film soundtracks, this is a worthwhile addition. The SACD version is great to hear the multi-channel mix of the music. It's not the most aggressive remix I've heard, but it's still worth a listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mesmorising, 12 Oct 2014
This review is from: Titanic (Audio CD)
I don't know what it is about this soundtrack, but it does something to my body that I just love. I know that sounds really odd, but whenever I hear this music, my hairs stand on end, I get goose-pimples all over and I just melt. It's the most mesmerising music ever and I still get the same reaction several years on and many listenings later. Just wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy, 4 May 2014
A very good and fast Service. A lovely sounding CD. This will and has been played many times. The music is haunting and a stark reminder of the end of so many lives. I find track 13 memorable.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok ish, 17 Dec 2013
Bought this for a titanic themed party but did not use any of the music. Best bit was when jack did the freezing conversation with rose with a super shakey voice

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful, 29 May 2013
of course the music on this is wonderful. i love how each song makes you feel different and you can feel the emotions behind the music.

5.0 out of 5 stars brings back memories!, 10 April 2013
Using to help in PE sessions as a cool down. Seen it used by another teacher, thought I would try it out.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›