5.0 out of 5 stars Laid back, lazy or just peaceful?
I never could make up my mind whether Georgie Fame was superbly laid back in his work, or just wasn't trying. This collection doesn't really make it any more obvious to me.

Published on 23 May 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars mellow, but mixed
Published on 18 Nov 2010 by Graham R. Hill

3.0 out of 5 stars mellow, but mixed, 18 Nov 2010
Graham R. Hill (Ilkley) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
The songs that one would associate primarily with Fame (Bonnie and Clyde, Rosetta, Peaceful) are generally better than those which are more clearly covers. Most of these sound strangely relaxed and some are positively horizontal. His rendition of 'St James Infirmary' is taken at a funereal pace. Admittedly that is not entirely inappropriate given the lyrics, but it loses something by not having the swing of, say, Louis Armstrong's version. And the version of Lennon and McCartney's 'And I Love Her' makes you wonder who is going to fall asleep first: the listener or the vocalist. He does make a good fist of Willie Dixon's 'Seventh Son' though; probably because he does it up-tempo.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laid back, lazy or just peaceful?, 23 May 2002
By A Customer

There were some releases like the desperately over-familiar "Yeah Yeah" which is mercifully not featured here - and "Rosetta" - track 10 - where one feels that Fame is deriving some excitment from the music making process. However, one often feels that he is either trying too hard to play it cool or he is bored to tears with the whole business ("Because I Love You" - track 8 here - teeters on this particular brink I feel).

I have a tape of Kenny Everett's Radio One Show from about 1970 in which he plays "Peaceful" - track 6 on this disc - and I always liked the song, and its inclusion here is the reason I bought the disc, I think it should have been a bigger success than it was because Georgie manages to sound laid back but not in a terminal state of ennui. "Seventh Son" - track 3 - similarly has some spark, and of course "The Ballad of Bonnie and Clyde" - track 1 - still packs a bit of a punch.

However Georgie seems to sleepwalk through some of the other cover versions on this album. Did the world really need another version of "By the Time I Get to Pheonix"? - Track 9 - and what did Paul McCartney ever do to Georgie that he should so mutilate "And I Love Her" and "When I'm Sixty Four"? The only slight surprise is that Bobby Hebb's "Sunny" is not included in the cover set presented here.

A shame that some of the instrumentals weren't included: "Beware of the Dog", "El Bandido" etc are available on other GF compilations though.

I have to disagree with another reviewer who liked Georgie and Pricey's version of Randy Newman's "Yellow Man" - track 18 -, which I think misses the point of the song: Harry Nilsson's version is much more evocative of the song's sentiment.

Through his subsequent career Georgie has provided quality keyboard support to many artists - notably Van Morrison, but also many others - and if this collection shows anything I think it shows that his contribution to music in that role is probably greater than his role as a front man.

"I can wait for fate to bring around to me, any part of my tomorrow." - Peaceful. Yummy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A COOL C.D BY A SUPER COOL SINGER, 23 Jun 2007
EACH TRACK DISPLAYS HIS MUSICAL TALENT. HIS INTERPRETATION OF CLASSIC SONGS ARE SECOND TO NONE. A MIX OF JAZZ , BLUES AND BIG BAND POP.

JUST LISTEN TO HIM SINGING "PEACEFULL & HIDE AWAY" TWO REALLY GREAT TRACKS. ALL 20 SONGS ON THIS C.D ARE A MUST FOR ANY ONE WHO LIKES GEORGIE FAME AND GOOD MUSIC. FOR SOME REASON "YA`YA" & "GETAWAY" IS NOT INCLUDED ON THE C.D, BUT EVEN SO THIS IS A COOL C.D TO HAVE.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 July 2014
Well pleased. Brought back happy memories for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST OF GEORGIE FAME 1967-1971, 25 Jun 2014
I AM OVER THE MOON WITH MY GEORGIE FAME CD, IT ARRIVED VERY QUICKLY AND IN PERFECT CONDITION! I WILL BE LISTENING TO MY GEORGIE FAME CD A GREAT DEAL. I MIGHT HAVE TO RE-ORDER ANOTHER ONE IN THE FUTURE. Thank you very much!

5.0 out of 5 stars Evocative, 16 May 2014
There's a large number of tracks, many not the ones I have on my other Georgie Fame hits collections. Beatles songs, a Donovan one, these are wonderful evocations of the sixties.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Best Of Georgie Fame 1967 to 1971., 23 Feb 2014
A CD of Georgie Fame continuation the Best of Georgie Fame Classics. I wish they would make one album of Georgie Fame and all of his hits on one CD.

4.0 out of 5 stars A GREAT ALBUM, 17 Oct 2013
OVER ALL A VERY GOOD ALBUM. SINCE I GOT BOUGHT IT I'VE FOUND ONE WHICH INCLUDES ALL THE HITS OFF THIS PLUS THE EARLY HITS FROM 65/66

3.0 out of 5 stars oops, 27 Feb 2013
feel as if i've bought a jigsaw with pieces missing.
the bits i have fit very nicely but fail to represent the whole picture.

5.0 out of 5 stars The meaning of hip, 4 Jun 2010
Anders (Copenhagen, Denmark) - See all my reviews
Lush, psychedelic, crooning take on Georgie Fame during his CBS years. While this compilation has its mainselection from the varied Third Face of Fame it includes some single A-sides and some EP tracks as well as 2-4 tracks each from releases Seventh Son, Does His Thing with Strings and Price & Fame Together.
While the compilation works well for the initiated fan it doesn't serve as an introduction to the body of work by Clive Powell. This would go to the OZ release On The Right Track, Beat, Blues & Ballads, A complete hit collection 1964-1971.