Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£4.99

on 29 October 1999
Anyone who might dismiss Sailor based on the commercial 70's hits 'Girls, Girls, Girls' & 'Glass of Champagne' is really missing out. The seedy harbour atmosphere generated by the combination of the unique nickelodeon sounds and the tongue-in-cheek, bawdy lyrics is an absolute delight. 'Panama', 'Josephine Baker' 'Girls of Amsterdam' and, of course, 'Sailor' are old favourites with the many loyal fans still out there 20+ years on - don't miss out any longer!
on 2 December 1999
I've just ordered this and can't wait to hear Sailor again, (my original LPs having been played to death by my Dad in my absence from home). With the exception of Gentle Giant, Sailor were the best live band I saw in the 70s: went on the basis of a highly atmospheric first album and an absolutely stonking single, "Traffic Jam" - and soon bought everything they'd done. The stage set was a delightful "palm court goes oriental with a bit of sci-fi thrown in" affair, the atmosphere terrific and their multi-instrumental musicianship outstanding. That "Nickelodeon" was a double-sided ARP Synth played with great flair and original timbres, perfectly set against the anachronistic percussion of Grant Serpel and the beautiful guitar and voice of George Kajanus. Couple this with exceptional song-writing skills - catchy tunes, great melodies and evocative lyrics - and you have a band that deserves far more reverence than they ultimately enjoyed. Incidentally, I still see the name of Phil Pickett around on music credits: anyone know if it's the same nautical cove?
It's lovely to see the reviews for this album and the outpouring of good will for this great band. All the major European hits are here along with a selection of the very best album tracks. The band's unique sound and style shines through - just bass and treble keyboards (no bass guitar here!), an ex jazz drummer and a titled lead singer from Norway -just magic! If you enjoyed this, check out Buried Treasure on Angel Air records.
on 3 August 2011
I had never heard about Sailor before. Then I accidentaly heard "Girls, Girls and Girls" on a "Greatest Hits" cd. The song immediately caught my interest. I am happy that I bought Sailor's greatest hits CD. There are many great songs here that you want to listen to again and again. The sound quality is brilliant also with a natural, spacious sound. And the price? It's almost free!

Buy this CD if you like old-school pop like Supertramp.
on 3 April 2011
BBC 4 is showing a history of TOTP and there is some truly awful music on it of historic cultural interest only but Sailor's Girls, Girls, Girls and Glass of Champagne sparkle and shine and sound remarkably fresh today, which led me to check this out.There's some terrific songs on here, particularly Josephine Baker and Sailor. If you like clever, articulate , well-written pop songs really , please do give this chance.
on 18 January 2011
I bought this on a whim as a stocking filler for my sister for xmas. I remembered how much she loved the band all those years ago. I think I can honestly say it is the best present I have bought for her in years. Must get a copy for myself as I had forgotten just how great they were.
Mary from Coventry
on 8 December 2010
After years of silence the 70s band was reformed with a new lead singer and began to make more records mainly because they were bigger in Europe especially Germany.
The 80s saw Georg Kajanus emerge as half of Data after a final Sailor album with Gavin and Virginia David on vocals this being Dressed for Drowning.
Kajanus also recorded as half of Noir with Tim Dry formerly of Shock while Phil Pickett co wrote the song Karma Chameleon.
Possibly the most important band of the 70s in spite of only 3 hit singles.
My favorite one was always Stiletto Heels
on 31 August 2007
On that Album you'll find a wild mixture of Sailor-Singles and Album-Tracks, cause it was released, when the record-company had no material about the band's history, so they didn't know, which singles Sailor had out. But in the meantime I told them, as we are running a website for them: [...] ~ The best sampler is: "SAILOR - DOWN BY THE DOCKS" which is available @ : [...] ~
This one here is great digital remastered!
Greetz: Karsten Wagner
(Free Radio Kassel)
on 27 February 2010
All of Sailor's best tracks on one CD and a fine mix of some Latin ingredients. Memories of a time when men were allowed to be men and even our 16 year old grand daughter loves it.
Bobstay
on 30 July 2011
It started off as a 'birthday present' and then MORE required for other person - Sailor(the band) lovers, I am in a state of shock.....good value and fun