5.0 out of 5 stars A Blast from the Past
This fantastic new album by electro-pioneer John Foxx feels incredibly personal to me, and brings back wonderful memories of interviewing John at the East London studio where he recorded this back in the mid Eighties. In fact, I like to imagine he broke off from recording these very tracks to do the interview and subsequent photo shoot.

Listening to tracks...
Published on 22 May 2009 by Glenn Austin

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Ok for JF could do better! Sounds like a school report!
Published 10 months ago by flying fireman

5.0 out of 5 stars A Blast from the Past, 22 May 2009
Glenn Austin "blip" (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Lost City (Audio CD)

Listening to tracks such as 'Holywell Lane', 'Just Passing Through', and 'Barbican Brakhage' feels just like I'm time travelling back to the very point these pieces of music were born. But this collection still has a contemporary feel to it, as if it had just been recorded. I'm more of a fan of John's recent releases with Louis Gordon such as 'Crash and Burn', 'From Trash' and the extraordinary 'Sideways' than, say, the more reflective instrumental ones like the 'Cathedral Oceans' series and 'Tiny Colour Movies', but 'My Lost City' has a lot more depth to it than those others. This represents MY Lost City...indeed it is also my lost past.

John has to be the most creative guy around at the moment, and he is at his most prolific by way of releasing material after a hiatus in the '90s. And he seems to be getting better and better. He writes wonderfully about this release in his quietman blog, "Electricity and Ghosts - the story behind My Lost City".

Thanks for re-discovering this John!

5.0 out of 5 stars The missing link., 2 April 2009
This review is from: My Lost City (Audio CD)
Recorded in a studio in an old Edwardian department store, corner of Holywell Lane and Shoreditch High Street, London, in the early eighties. And then forgotten.
There are elements of church music interspersed with electronica and choral arrangements.
This is (possibly) the missing link between Foxx's Electronica and Ambient (Cathedral Oceans) genres.
Complete with stylish booklet.

A real gem. Not to be missed.

4.0 out of 5 stars A hidden treasure unearthed., 19 April 2013
This review is from: My Lost City (Audio CD)
For those of you who like driving synthpop or songs with chart potential then this one might not be for you. This is a work of contemplation, mood and I'd go as far as to say, personal. Evocative, atmospheric, moody and at time eerie, this is a mix of ancient and modern. Foxx manages to take you on a tour of old churches, desolate and decaying buildings with ghosts of the past walking out of hidden walls. The only reason I haven't given it a five rating is because I had attempted to put it on as background music on a couple of occasions, but inevitably found myself drawn into John's "lost world".

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 30 Aug. 2014
This review is from: My Lost City (Audio CD)
Ok for JF could do better! Sounds like a school report!

My Lost City
My Lost City by John Foxx (Audio CD - 2010)