4.0 out of 5 stars Great Pattinson Performance!
Published on 15 Jun. 2009 by Jane L. Bartholomew

2.0 out of 5 stars errr???
Published on 9 Jun. 2009 by gooseberryfool

2.0 out of 5 stars errr???, 9 Jun. 2009
This review is from: The Haunted Airman [DVD] (DVD)
I have to admit, I felt exactly the same about this storyline as some others. Im sure when I read the book, things will be that much clearer, but I really had very little idea what the whole plot was actually about. It seems this man is supposedly haunted by his visions during the War, yet he acts as though he has no regrets at all for any lives he may have taken, so when he starts to become haunted by spiders(?),and shadows, there's no real notion of exactly why...
Despite the fact that I felt like it ended just as it was getting interesting, I have to admit that I found Robert Pattinsons acting, extremely compelling to watch. He was the best thing in it by far, so it's probably worth watching just for that!!

3.0 out of 5 stars mizz1, 8 April 2009
This review is from: The Haunted Airman [DVD] (DVD)
I just got this movie today. I've only watched it once so far. I must say I've never read the book that this movie is based on. It was a bit creepy but interesting. I do feel though, that the movie ended when it was just beginning. I will of course watch it again soon, to get a better understanding of it. But Rob Pattinson did an excellent job with the material given.

I've decided to order the book "the haunting of toby jugg" that this movie is based on. I watched the movie for the 3rd time, I understood it better, but something tells me I'm gonna like the book much better. especially since reading the book reviews.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Pattinson Performance!, 15 Jun. 2009
Jane L. Bartholomew (Kansas USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Haunted Airman [DVD] (DVD)
As a professed Robert Pattinson fan, I breathlessly awaited my copy of THE HAUNTED AIRMAN and was not disappointed. He is third-billed, but his performance is FIRST RATE, especially for a young man of only 20 (and in a starring role) when it was released. The film, itself, doesn't quite make sense, however, in that Toby's psychosis is never truly explained. Therefore, when he mentions the "shadows" to his nurse toward the end of the film, I was a tad perplexed. The visions he endured all seemed to pertain to fearsome spiders and the WWII bombing raids in which he'd participated, not menacing shadows. And were those sores on his back actually from spider bites (indicating that they were, indeed, real) or from his drop into the tub as is "reasoned"? The ending, too, is a tad bizarre as it leaves one hanging as to whether Julian Sands' doctor instigated all of the psychotic problems for Toby (either via drugs or by playing mind games such as withholding the mail and having sex with Toby's aunt, when he knew quite well that Toby, himself, was in love with her). Perhaps Toby had been merely suffering from shock after his paralysis as opposed to an actual psychosis. I haven't read the source material, which might help explain the story a tad better, but I can recommend the film highly to anyone wanting a glimpse of star-on-the-rise Robert Pattinson - post-Potter, pre-Twilight.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very weak tea, 19 May 2010
This review is from: The Haunted Airman [DVD] (DVD)
The novels of Dennis Wheatley were tremendous best-sellers in their time, and there's no denying that, on a good day, the man could spin a compelling yarn with the best of them. "The Haunting of Toby Jugg", from which this short TV movie is adapted, is perhaps one of his strongest books, mounting slowly, steadily and insistently toward a fine peak of paranoid hysteria as crippled-in-action pilot Jugg starts to suspect that the house in the country to which he has been sent to recuperate has been arranged for anything but a rest cure. He slowly begins to mentally unravel as the conviction takes hold that the apparently "nice" set-up is in fact the cover for a plot to drive him mad and take charge of the vast fortune he stands to inherit on his looming 21st birthday.

This being Wheatley, the villains are communists AND satanists, happy to use a giant spider from hell to make sure the Jugg millions are appropriated for World Domination and the destruction of the old Tory values that represent, for the author, everything worth saving as the world sinks under the weight of its own smelly wickedness.

Wheatley was a man of his time and his work, read from the vantage point of the 21st century, seems full of racism, sexism and arguments for Order and Discipline that sound more than a little jackbooty. But the fact that he was sincere in his belief that the world was about to be swamped by godless flappers and servants who answered back lends the best of his books a real gonzo energy that still crackles today.

That said, adapting pretty much any of his work for film or TV presents the problem of how to deal with the "unacceptable" aspects of the author's mindset. "The Haunted Airman" duly dispenses with anything that might root the story in the attitudes or opinions of the times in which the novel was written (fair enough) but forgets that if you're going to remove a significant part of the motivating power of a piece of material, then you'd better come up with something equally powerful to replace it. This the adaptation signally fails to do. The entire story is thrown away. Toby Jugg is no longer a fighter pilot who believes (however oddly, from our point of view) in using his millions to maintain Wheatley's idea of an ideal status quo, but a bomber pilot tortured by the idea that the bombs he dropped may have killed a little girl. The little girl is, of course, a Symbol of Guilt. The conspiracy against Jugg is replaced with the resident doctor's manipulation of this Guilt in order to get Toby to murder his auntie, for no other reason than to contrive a "tragic" ending. Sigh.

3.0 out of 5 stars nice try, Rob, 3 Jun. 2009
This review is from: The Haunted Airman [DVD] (DVD)
Robert Pattinson plays brooding, tortured souls to perfection so he's perfect as the gorgeous but tormented crippled airman. It's just a shame this production isn't worthy of him. There's some distinctly dodgy dialogue, woefully inadequate co-stars (especially the doctor) and some very amateurish post-production. I've given it 3 stars only because Robert Pattinson is so beautiful that whatever he's in is worth watching. You have been warned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 15 Jun. 2009
This review is from: The Haunted Airman [DVD] (DVD)
I haven't read the book yet so can't compare but the film is excellent and Rob Pattinson proves he's not just a tweeny hearthrob. I'm an "older fan" and have been a fan of Johnny Depp's for many years and I can see Rob having a similar acting career having first spotted him as Cedric Diggory. A good story and the character "Toby" is excellently portrayed by Rob Pattinson. Highly recommended but not one for Rob's younger fans.

2.0 out of 5 stars Tedious and Poorly Acted, 12 Jun. 2010
This review is from: The Haunted Airman [DVD] (DVD)
Unless you have a major crush on the young male star, you are unlikely to be thrilled by this film. It is set during the war and features a young soldier who is permanently paralysed after a bombing raid goes wrong. He is haunted by the scenes of devastation he caused as a bomber and is troubled by the fact that he had performed the raids with no emotional attachment to his actions, leaving him wondering whether he is in fact evil. This anxiety becomes projected onto the psychiatric doctor who treats him, and onto his widowed Aunt by marriage, with whom he is in love. The script itself is bereft of any light touch, and the film-makers seem to think that enough disturbance will be induced in the audience by repeated footage of phantom spiders and cobwebs and by the fact that the young hero is a chain smoker. The scenes of flashbacks to the raids are unintentionally laughable and the acting all round is pretty ropey. At no point was I convinced by any of the characters, but to be fair, I think this was largely the problem of a script that lacked depth and nuance. The main problem for a viewer, is the fact that it is impossible to sympathise with any of the characters, largely because the characters themselves are not fully formed. I was disappointed with the BBC, responsible for the wonderful Christmas Ghost Stories of the 1970s.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 19 April 2009
Denise Vosny (Denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Haunted Airman [DVD] (DVD)
I really like this movie. I haven't read the book so I can't comment on how like or unlike it is regards to the book. if you are one of the millions and millions of screaming girls that loved Edward Cullen then this might not be the right movie for you (loving Rob myself I know other movies that would suit the twilight teen better like Harry Potter where he has a part that would suit you better). I loved the 'scary' parts and think that this movie is great for watching late at night when you want to see some Robert Pattinson not including the vampires or geeky looks:D Rob does know how to act (he's not just a teen idol) and this is one of his best performances according to me seeing as it's so far from the twilight world as possible!

1.0 out of 5 stars Only made it to DVD because it stars Pattinson, 26 Jan. 2012
This review is from: The Haunted Airman [DVD] (DVD)
I have to say, after reading the other reviews I am left wondering if we all watched the same film.
My mother bought this for me for Christmas one year, purely because it had Robert Pattinson in it, because at the time we were very much into all that Twilight stuff.
My first impression of the film was that I just wanted it to be over. I struggled to watch it through to the end and can safely say I will never be watching it again.
Some of the effects are... Ok I guess, but the story line and resolution were confusing at best, and unwatchable at its worst.

As far as I'm concerned this is a failure of a film which didn't draw me in at all. I like to laugh and cry and be swept up in the story, not completely repelled by it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looking Beyond Twilight, 18 May 2009
Amazon Customer (Florence, SC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Haunted Airman [DVD] (DVD)
While Twilight introduced us all to Robert Pattinson's acting skills, one must go further to discover the true nature of his talent. This short TV film shows the fuller depths of his creative abilities. Inspired by a novel by Dennis Wheatley, The Haunted Airman will take you through a journey into darkness with a young WWII flyer, played with substance by Pattinson. The story, driven by his amazing performance, will leave you wondering exactly what you've seen when the credits roll. Emotional and challenging, this film demonstrates the range of Mr. Pattinson's gift. No one interested in his work will want to miss this piece.

The Haunted Airman [DVD]
The Haunted Airman [DVD] by Chris Durlacher (DVD - 2009)