5.0 out of 5 stars Santogold - SOLID GOLD
A great album. Not heard their stuff before the sample tracks on this listing, and am I glad I did! Sounding a little like M.I.A Paper Planes, but consistant aural pleasure across all tracks. A hint of native american sounds and a little Persian influence on another keeps it all fresh. 2-weeks and I've yet to take it out of my car CD player.
Recommended.
Published on 4 Feb 2009 by K. Neale

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh
I enjoy only 4 tracks from this album:
Lights Out,
Anne,
You'll Find A Way
and Say Aha.
The rest is not particularly outstanding.
However, saying that, i'm not really partial to this kind of music anyway, so it's a wonder i like any of it! Give it a try if you enjoyed LES Artistes because that's more the sound of the album than Lights Out,...
Published on 15 Oct 2009 by L. Bartleet

5.0 out of 5 stars Santogold - SOLID GOLD, 4 Feb 2009
K. Neale (Somerset, England) - See all my reviews
Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't listen 2 reviews, listen 2 the music, 25 Jan 2009
T Robertson "Tomsk" (Bedfordshire, Land of Nod) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Santogold (Audio CD)
Dark baselines, great hooks, punk feel.
Don't slag it just because the music rags love it.
Santa's coming to town. x

5.0 out of 5 stars Eclectic pop - try it, 31 Jan 2012
This review is from: Santogold (Audio CD)
I loved some tracks on first listen, others took a while to warm to but I see their beauty now! Eclectic feel - indie, pop, punk, ska, reggae, hip hoppy R&B. This album is a cut above anything the pop world generally produces - its rawer and not afraid to be different. Catchy and upbeat music you'll soon be leaving on repeat...

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 9 Jun 2009
K. Jackson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Santogold (Audio CD)
I love this CD, its been playing continuously in my car for about a month!

4.0 out of 5 stars Going For Gold!, 23 Mar 2009
This review is from: Santogold (Audio CD)
I bought this on the strength of having heard a couple of tracks on Santogold's MySpace page and have not been disappointed.

The album kicks off with one of the best singles of 2008, 'L.E.S. Artistes', and manages to keep up the pace throughout.

It's an intelligent mish-mash of musical styles (and even reminds me of Musical Youth in places!).

I highly recommend this, as it's one of the best albums of 2008.

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius, 15 Jan 2009
This review is from: Santogold (Audio CD)
A truly great album. Danceable, fun and melodic with a driving rhythm and strong vocals. I think this is just brilliant. It's hard to classify the style of music, which runs the gamut from rap to soul and reggae and pop to glam rock, but it's brilliant all the way through.

A really unique, strong voice - but running through an album full of a diverse range of songs and sounds. Definitely one of my very favourite albums of 2008, and one that I would happily name as a classic album. I can't believe more people aren't raving about this already. I'm sure they will be in the longer run - this deserves to be a very big hit.

The single that I heard from this really didn't do the album justice; I wish they'd released one of the better songs as a single instead.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool fresh tunes., 1 Dec 2008
DaveG (Halifax, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Santogold (Audio CD)
I bought this album on the strength of Lights Out, and am really pleased with it. I would give it five stars but there are maybe 3 or 4 weak tracks but I don't mind that. I would rather have 8 quality fresh experimental tunes and 3 or 4 that miss the mark, than 12 tracks of boring averageness.

For less than a fiver it's a bargain, just take a chance and get it.

'You'll find a way' is brilliant and my current pick of the bunch but I tend to change my mind as I become more familiar with albums - in a month I may prefer a different track.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like M.I.A and Missy Elliott..., 4 Aug 2008
This review is from: Santogold (Audio CD)
I brought this album after seeing Santogold perform a mash up with Roots Manouver, I have not been dissapointed. At first her voice has a similar same sound to Nelly Furtado but the originality of the music makes her stand out. If you like the party, rave, feel of M.I.A then this is definately a good investment, there is an element of ska and rave to all the tracks, ones to skip straight to are Creator and Lights Out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting mixture of styles, 17 Nov 2013
This review is from: Santogold (Audio CD)
Santogold's self-titled album is a curious blend of various musical styles, just poppy enough to be pop, but just adventurous enough to sit comfortably outwith the mainstream.
Her vocals are strong, right from opening track `L.E.S. Artistes' and are backed by keyboards and guitars; the song sounds fresh, contemporary.
`You'll Find A Way (Version One)', meanwhile, is an up-tempo dance track in much the same way as `Shove It', which also has a definite Jamaican influence, featuring prominent horns and a definite `dub-reggae' mood.
`Say A-ha' is an obvious highlight on this album, a modern classic, sultry, up-tempo, gloriously danceable, whilst `Creator' embraces the genres of Dubstep, Grime and Electro. They are so many different musical styles explored here it's almost difficult to keep up, yet this doesn't damage the overall cohesion of the album.
`My Superman' and `Light Out' are far more laid-back, embracing a far less intense sound than on the rest of the album, but ultimately lack backbone, but `Starstruck' and `Unstoppable' are back to the same 'electro' groove, the former leaning towards Dubstep, the latter being more reggae-tinged.
`I'm A Lady' slows the pace of the album down again, but is sufficiently catchy so as not to be too unimposing, whereas `Anne' is a surefire album highlight, featuring sultry, echoing vocals and a hypnotic electronic beat. This is carried through into `You'll Find A Way (Version Two)', which is another highlight, embracing yet more electro-pop beats and an intense, sultry vocal.
This album's strongest attributes are an exploration of a variety of musical styles, coupled with a definite dance-floor sensibility.

5.0 out of 5 stars I played it over and over.., 19 Sep 2013
This review is from: Santogold (Audio CD)
I bought this blind and was surprised at how many of the songs I'd already heard. I love punk influenced music, so this was right up my street.