5.0 out of 5 stars super sharp

Published 11 months ago by Cleopatra

5.0 out of 5 stars super sharp, 6 Nov 2012
C. Edwards (Leeds U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zyliss Swivel Peeler (Kitchen & Home)
Recently I have been experiencing some hand strength/pain problems and decided I needed a bigger handle to grip when peeling so tried this peeler purely thinking of the handle which persuaded me pay the the ridiculous price these peelers seem to be(I got mine from Lakeland). I realise now how stupid I was not to change it earlier, I mean I sharpen my knives at least every few months and they certainly need it, what stopped me thinking that my peeler would be blunt after all these years.

It's so sharp, it makes peeling pleasurable, really!

The handle is comfortable and well shaped, putting the blade in the right position on the veg. The 'eye' or bad spot remover is very efficient and easy to turn in a potato, leaving small, neat holes deep enough to remove all of the 'eye', unlike other peelers I have used.

I think with peelers it is hard to change from the style one is accustomed to as we each seem to develop very individual techniques. Mine is an away from me 'whittling style, which is limits a peelers usefulness to carrot shaped veg and larger potatoes. I grew up with a swivel peeler, the old bent metal handled type.I had my last one from when my mother gave it to me when I left home twenty something years ago. I believe the double bladed design is to ensure suitability for both right and left handed people, however I have found a new (to me) technique using this new peeler that my old one was NEVER sharp enough to allow. I can use this peeler towards and away from me making it much easier to use on smaller potatoes and awkward shapes.
I highly recomend this peeler and just getting a new peeler if yours is old

5.0 out of 5 stars Zyliss Swivel Peeler, 28 May 2013
A. Hughes "MrSpike" (Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zyliss Swivel Peeler (Kitchen & Home)
I have never had a peeler that felt so good to use. It's very light, very sharp and the handle is comfortable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Zyliss Swivel Peeler, 15 Nov 2012
Alex Malcolm "Alex M." (North Ayrshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zyliss Swivel Peeler (Kitchen & Home)
Well designed and comfortable in the hand. If you have not used a "swivel peeler" before it may take a few attempts to get the hang of it. Oterwise...it peels veg! Only comment, I am not too sure if I would pay 6 again for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for every cook!, 27 Aug 2013
Tellboy (Manchester) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
On opening the pack I thought, this is a seriously sharp kitchen implement and indeed it is. It can be used by either hand very easily.
The peeler is ergonomically designed and fits snugly into my hand and during use I felt totally in control with the good grip it gave.
Peeling my soil crusted Cyprus potatoes was easy as the peeler did what it said on the pack and moved over the contours giving a thin smooth peel. The scoop on the tip easily removed the eyes with minimum effort. With other vegetables and baking apples the peel was thin, which means less food wastage.
I am reluctant to put the peeler in my cutlery drawer, because of its sharpness, but found that it hung perfectly on my rack with other tools.
My old peeler is now relegated to the back of the drawer as this new one is easier and quicker to use. It also has a five year guarantee! Brilliant!

4.0 out of 5 stars Peeling Good, 13 Sep 2013
P. G. Strachan (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's a substantial improvement on my old bakelite peeler in that it's actually quite comfortable to use and,so far, has made no attempt to remove any of my digits. I'm guessing the point of the swivelling is that it should remove less of the object being peeled. So where once peeling an apple meant reducing it to not much more than the core i now find a pretty substantial piece of fruit is left behind. Oh...and the thing at the end is also pretty handy for howking the nasty looking bits out of potatoes and such like....

5.0 out of 5 stars NEWSFLASH! This device can actually MAKE TIME (as well as peel potatoes & other skinned things), 10 Mar 2013
This review is from: Zyliss Swivel Peeler (Kitchen & Home)
Life is simply too short to spend it stooped over a sink.
Do yourself a favour...
Spend your money on one of these.
and think of how you're going to spend all that precious time that it's just created by you not having to be as long stooped over that darned sink!
LIFE IS FOR LIVING NOT FOR PEELING!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 25 Jan 2013
This review is from: Zyliss Swivel Peeler (Kitchen & Home)
Great product. The reason I bought this was because my daughter had one and I found it so much quicker and easier to use than the model I had.

5.0 out of 5 stars Changed my mind on ergonomiics!, 17 Sep 2013
rhosymynydd "liz" (west wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This Zyliss swivel peeler is worth every penny. I am not a believer in ergonomic products for the most part but my hands have some mobility problems and our regular peeler was getting too difficult for me to manage. This peeler almost peels itself. It was much easier for me to hold and use. I just held it to the potato in one hand, the potato in the other and moved it slowly over the surface off came the skin without any forced pressure and it did not slip from my hand which for me is unusual. It was a great product, easy to use and excellent value for money. Highly recommended and I will now make a habit of looking at more modern designs in utensil products. Thank you Zyliss. My husband is also equally grateful as I had often had to turn the peeling task over to him in the past!!

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 16 Sep 2013
buy-it-try-it (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I ordered this because id been using the same peeler for more than 10 years, and it seemed to be getting blunt. Not as blunt as this one though. Whats the point of a safety peeler that you couldnt cut yourself on?
Back to the knife.

3.0 out of 5 stars A little fiddly but does the job, 10 Sep 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I must be old fashioned as I prefer the old solid peelers with the blade that doesn't move. Granted this is softer in the hand then the solid peelers of days gone by, but I found it trickier to peel things. The blade swivels and takes time to readjust itself in order to peel in a fluid motion. It takes slices off at a time as opposed to the old style which could peel a potato while leaving the whole peel intact. I appreciate that this peeler takes off less flesh and concentrates on the peel itself, but it is more difficult to use, for me at least.

A good addition to modern kitchens, but for the old fashioned folk, stick to the trusty hard peelers of old.

Zyliss Swivel Peeler