Why the electronics industry makes things so complicated I do not know, but we recently bought a sound bar to connect to our newish LED TV. You can connect them directly if your TV has the latest "enhanced" HDMI connection but our TV (only a few months old) didn't. Instead the TV had a SPDIF Digital Audio output and the sound bar had a Toslink optical input.

No, I don't know what they mean either but the upshot is that they cannot be connected directly to each other - you need one of these boxes if your set up is like that. The converter box doesn't come with cables and the cables we had to buy as well are - KabelDirekt Toslink 2m Optical Digital Cable and Cable Mountain 1.5m Gold Plated Single RG59 Coaxial Phono Cable for SPDIF/Digital Audio and Composite Video Cable.

Buy all that kit and you can connect the TV to the Sound Bar through this box. It worked perfectly, I just wish the industry made it easier.
on 7 January 2015
Ordered this to connect a new soundbar which supported an optical connection with a TV that didn't. The TV only had a digital coax output so I purchased this converter, plus a digital coax male to male cable from the same supplier, Cable Mountain.

Delivery was very quick. I ordered at about 11.30 at night and had an email at 6.30 the next morning saying it was on its way. This was standard delivery, too.

Installing was easy. Just plugged in the power to the unit, the coax to the tele and the optical cable to the soundbar, turned it on and wham! Worked perfectly with great sound quality.

One word of caution. While researching I saw what looked like the same thing for about a pound cheaper, but it turned out to be the reverse (optical to coax), so just make sure this is the right one for you.

I was worried I'd forked out for a soundbar that I wouldn't be able to connect, so this lovely thing saved my bacon!
on 15 November 2011
This peace of equipment is great value and does exactly what is say, it converts the co-axial digital out from say something like a PC to optical output. I watched a movie and there was no discernible delay from the processing that must be required during the conversion.

I wholeheartedly recommend it.

The next day delivery from Cable Mountain was excellent too, thank you.
on 24 February 2014
This is a great solution to connecting a Blu-ray player to an old 5.1 home theatre system when you only have an optical input. Have found that certain Blu-ray discs (e.g. LOTR) only output DTS sound which doesn't seem to convert to 5.1 when put through this device but other discs with 5.1 seem to be fine. Also works great for Netflix.
on 21 May 2013
Does exactly what I require, the only problem is that it requires a separate power supply. A USB power supply option would be handy as I have a number of USB sockets nearby that could be used without the need for another power bricks.
on 6 October 2013
bought so i could connect a sound bar which was a given to me to my tv and does the job perfectly
on 30 November 2015
I bought this when the optical output of my Squeezebox Duet failed.
The SPDIF output of the Duet goes into this, and the optical output goes to my AVI 9.1 optical input.
As far as I know this box does not break the digital path from server to speaker. There is no obvious deterioration in sound quality using it.
A lot cheaper than getting the Duet's optical out fixed.
A LOT cheaper than ditching the Squeezebox based system and moving over to Sonos. Though I'll have to do that at some stage when the Squeezebox stuff eventually dies of old age.
on 12 January 2015
Fantastic! Bought a sound bar to replace amplifier and speakers, so already had a compromise on sound quality. I was using the SPDIF output on the tv and converting to RCA (analogue) for the sound bar. I now have SPDIF into this, the from this to the sound bar via the additional optical cable I bought. The difference in running digital is noticeable and brilliant. Sound quality improved, as well as sound levels. Quick delivery, and a fantastic product at a very fantastic price. Thank you Cable Mountain.
on 29 November 2012
Bargain price, excellent item
Does exactly what is says it can do and does it well
Solved my TV audio problem
on 4 October 2015
I had a brand new Sharp Aquos LED 60" smart TV that I bought for nearly a thousand pounds last year, and for whatever reason they used spdif digital coax instead of spdif TOS which is usually from my knowledge far more common, subsequently the sound bar I had been using only had TOS, so this was a welcome device to allow me to utilise my sound bar again. Only had it for a couple days but seems to be exactly as I had anticipated