These LeapReader Junior books are a brilliant introduction to reading for your little one and will help encourage them to get excited about reading too. We have both the LeapFrog LeapReader Junior Scout Book Pal and LeapFrog LeapReader Junior Violet Book Pal for my son and daughter. I bought the Scout book pal and several of the books for my 2 year old son as he has been struggling with his speech and I thought that this reading system would help him along with more words. I'm pleased to say that I do think they have actually helped him although I do still need to encourage him to use the book pal as he loves sitting there just looking at the books without it too. I was so impressed with the Scout book pal that I bought the Violet book pal for my daughter for when she starts to read too.

1-2-3 Dora LeapReader Junior Book:-
The Dora book is like the others in the range in that it is a thick paged board book style so really good for little hands and will also (and has in our house already!) take some bashing about too. Each page counts from 1 to 10 with the last double page showing Dora and her friends and there is plenty of interaction on all of the pages. On each page when you put the book pal on the words it says the english and then the spanish too in Dora's voice so for example it will say "Five limes" and then "Cinco limas" straight after. In addition to the counting on each page there are other interactive points such as if you put the book pal over Boots for example he will say "Hi I'm Boots" in his own voice or if you put it over the insect band, music will play. So whilst the majority of the book is the actual counting in English and Spanish there are lots of other little fun interactive points for your little one too. This is one of my favourite LeapReader Junior books purely for the educational content as I think this is one of the most educational in the junior range but my son likes it for Dora's voice and the characters from the television show. I am hoping the English numbers and even Spanish ones at some point will rub off on him but for now as an introduction to reading this is just fine.

The Book Pals:-
The book pals are identical apart from the colours and one being called Violet and the other Scout. I love that you can personalise Violet and Scout so that when you turn them on and off they say your childs name as this makes it feel like they are actually talking to your little one and immediately you can see it encourages them to use Violet and Scout. The books are very easy to load and unload once you download the Leapfrog Connect to your computer and I have done this several times now (because of the small memory on both of the book pals). Both the Scout and Violet book pals come with a USB lead and to connect them to your computer you remove the battery cover which is where both the batteries are stored and the USB connection is. You don't need a screwdriver to open them either as you can open them with a 1p coin just as well. Scout and Violet are very easy to hold for little hands and along with their main power button they also have a volume button too. Scout and Violet are the same size and both measure approx 10cm high by 6cm wide and 6cm deep at their tummy which is their widest point and they have been very cleverly designed to fit into your little ones hand. Your little one doesn't need to swipe them across any writing for them to read it and they just need to tap or touch the writing and both will read the whole paragraph or sentence. The LeapReader Junior book pals and books are a really good introduction to reading for your little one and I would definitely recommend them if you are thinking about them. I have managed to get most of the range at less than the normal full price by keeping an eye out for price drops on Amazon and with it being quite a big range it certainly is worth keeping tabs and taking advantage of price drops when they happen.
on 18 December 2009
Nice book with lovely colours and pictures.
Excellent tool for counting learning.
I believe that numbers should be in one language only, because it is a bit confusing for children that have another second llanguage.
on 3 February 2011
I brought this book for my 2 year old and she now can count 1 to 10 in Spanish easily as well as name some fruit in Spanish too.
on 7 January 2011
I BOUGHT THIS FOR MY NIECE AND SHE LOVES IT!!!! She has not put it down since. Great toy at a great price.
on 23 November 2011
Dora the explorer tag junior book is ideal for my son as he is nearly 2 and he has just started counting fingers although he cannot say the words yet. Plus he loves Dora at the moment, even though my bf is not happy about that. He thinks it's rather girlie, but my baby doesn't seem to mind.
on 29 March 2012
my daughter loves her tag but I have found that some of the books are quite easy, although as this one has spanish and english she has stuck at it longer. She is now getting a little bored with the content. My daughter is 3 so maybe better for younger children
on 10 February 2012
These are bigger then the pack of 7 books and brilliant for little ones, Witt the leapfrog tag junior it reads along for your child and make story time so much more fun. I'm so happy with these :)
on 29 January 2013
compared to other tag junior books it's the least played with. Very basic inside and my little girl rarely picks it up. very overpriced for wgat it is
on 1 August 2014
My daughter loved this book she spent ages trying to copy the numbers very good n she now can do it all by herself :))))
on 27 May 2014
Keeps her quietly entertained playing and learning. She's 3 and way ahead of her contemporaries at nursery. A good tool