on 2 November 2013
Bought these for use with speed lights and small video led continuous lights. For this use, these stands are solidly built, professional looking and feeling, and highly portable. I've attached several speedlights along with a Calumet 60" umbrella with few stability problems when fully extended, so they could probably take studio strobes too, provided the strobes aren't heavy.

Advice - when attaching lights/modifiers, test the direction the weight is acting on the stand. Then, make sure one of the extended legs is in that direction, so the weight is "hanging over" one extended leg. Make sense? If the weight is hanging over between two extended legs, the stand will tip over with a much smaller amount of weight attached. This is a very simple thing, but I've seen so many people forget to do it that it's worth mentioning.

These stands are perfect for:

1) Travelling with - they're very light and compact, and come with a decent carrying bag for train journeys or long walks.

2) Holding flags and scrims (seriously, why buy pricey C-stands for this job, when these stands do it just fine??)

3) Beginners and Speedlight work - I'd suggest beginners start lighting with speedlights - it's a lot cheaper, they're far more portable, and they'll do everything you need while learning. But speedlights can also be great for the professional. I work in London and, when I have several jobs in one day, I often use speedlights and these stands, and I can travel around the tube much more easily than if I'd had a huge and heavy kit with me. I only take the care when gear/logistics demand it.

They are less perfect for:
1) Heavy lights

2) Using soft boxes and umbrellas outside in wind. This is more due to the modifier than the stand - brollies and softboxes will be whisked away with any small amount of wind. But you can easily weight the stands down with sandbags and/or have an assistant hold them for you. Carrying sandbags with you nullifies the portability gains from these stands being light, but it works.

As long as you don't plan on putting some heavy Broncolors on it and then add heavy mods, these stands will work great.
on 20 November 2009
I was a little worried about ordering these light stands because they were so inexpensive but based on previous reviews, I decided to ordered them. I'm really happy I did. I am not a professional fotographer, and for a casual user like me, these are more then perfect. They do the job perfectly. Even though they are so inexpensive, each of the stands come with its own carrying bag, packaged inside a nice looking box. Probably you will not want to use them for big softboxes or heavy items, but for the typical external flash/umbrella combination, they are great. Probably great also for a background holder (even though you will need a few extra items to actually hold the background). They should be good enough too for a small background light... Again, I'm very happy with my purchase!
on 8 December 2009
These are fine for mounting flash & light brollies on but not heavy enough for reflectors, lamps etc. I would not recommend them for outdoor use but indoors is fine. They are easy to errect & fold & take up very little storage space.

After buying one, I bought another. Nuff said.
on 7 June 2009
Anyone involved in digital photography should snap up these excellent stands. They are light, easy to erect and come with useful carrying bags.

Ok I admit they don't compare with similar products from say Manfrotto, these are far sturdier (and heavier) and cost three or four times as much. The reality is for me is that I don't wish to carry heavy studio stands, I only want something that can safely hold a speedlite, in my case Nikon SB 800's and SB 900's.

Using Nikon's excellent creative lighting system (off camera wireless)I use these on nearly all of my daily press assignments. The fact that they are so light is a massive plus when carrying a heavy bag full of kit. Personally, I always leave the hotshoe stand that comes with the flash attached. When I arrive at a job I can be ready to shoot in less than a minute, the advantage of off-camera flash is immeasurable, to be able to angle fill-in is a god send to creatively reducing contrast.

The stands would be far too flimsy for say studio units I agree, but for snappers on the hoof, they are incredible value and highly recommended, at what is a give-a-way price.
on 26 January 2013
ok here we go, i am an novice at photography let me get that straight right from the start, but only photography, when it comes to buying something and reviewing it as i am now its another ball game, just as you are thinking now 21 pound or what ever currency you are paying in is it going to be any good.
Well let me tell you if you are getting in to putting speed lights and a shoot though umbrella on to a light stand these stands are just what you want on a budget, any body that gives these a bad review is expecting more for what they paid for.
For indoors lighting situations these are great, they have a good foot print and good height and i have tried to knock these over with equipment attached (yn565 speedlight,yn622c trigger, shoot though umbrella) and it takes a good push to make it even move with umbrella over a leg.
have'nt brought anything to compare it to but when you are just starting out in speedlight photography and are working on a budget you really cant ask for more from your equipment than these.
on 23 December 2010
I needed some stands for my two speedlights, and came across these pair, so I ordered them.
They were delivered quickly, in the Netherlands, well packed and complete with carrying bags. They can be set-up quite fast.
As I wasn't happy with the light of just the speedlights, I also bought two 60x60cm softboxes. And even with these softboxes the stands are pretty stable.
So I am very satisfied with these stands.
on 17 May 2016
Bought these to hold a pair of htc vive baystations / light houses & they work perfectly. Packed well & speedy delivery, thanks!
on 29 April 2013
Exactly what I wanted at a giveaway price. They go higher than I anticipated which is a bonus. You will have to watch their stability as they are quite light but that isn't a problem for me. I use them to support my green screen material and as flash holders using the Neewer MC-DC2 brackets (another gift at a very low price).
on 15 April 2010
Delivery extremely prompt. Quality of the lighting stands was much better than anticipated. Excellent value for money. Will definitely deal with this supplier again. Norman
on 4 February 2014
These are such good value at the price and will come in handy in so many ways for my photography. I suggest that they are purely for indoor use as they are so light in weight and would be unlikely to remain standing for long at full extension with an sort of breeze, but used sensibly they are a great way to support a flash with a lightweight softbox or brolly. They come with a zipped bag and a threaded boss that will take an umbrella or softbox fitting, or you can just screw the flash head onto the top. You could use them to support reflectors as well, or whatever. If you don't have any of these stands then just grab yourself a pair - at this price it's a no-brainer.

See one answered question