5.0 out of 5 stars An important novel, moving and all enduring

Published on 30 Aug 2009 by Peter Scott

5.0 out of 5 stars An important novel, moving and all enduring, 5 Dec 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Child In Time (Paperback)
The finest book by Ian Mcewan I have ever read. The attention to detail on every page gives this novel an extra dimension, and Mcewan has dedicated so much thought to this book that it makes your mind spin. Parts of this are liable to change your life, you will find yourself drawn into Stephen's life and as a consequence you suffer as much as he does. Brilliant and utterly absorbing.

5.0 out of 5 stars For the head and heart, 22 Nov 2006
J. D. C. Gingell (Gloucestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Child In Time (Paperback)
Like the previous reviewer I feel compelled to counter some of the criticism levelled at 'The Child In Time', a novel I believe to be one of Ian McEwan's finest.

The novel follows a narrative trajectory that is common to many of McEwan's works: one significant - and in this case highly tragic - event leads to a period of disintegration and an exploration of themes.

In 'The Child In Time' a virtuosity of interwoven storylines all centre on the protagonist Stephen Lewis, and offer a deep exploration of the nature of the personal and the private. These two worlds are juxtaposed brilliantly, and with great subtlety. Stephen is presented as father, children's author, member of a government committee on childcare and friend. As in 'Saturday' there are lengthy passages involved with the minutaie of professional life - in this case Whitehall - but perhaps some of the political machinations become more relevant to the reader when viewed as embodiments of the Government stance on childcare, and the more self-centred ideology of the time. It is wrong to criticise the book on account of these sections seeming 'dull' or 'irrelevant' as has been the case below, as they are all part of the common theme of the novel; whether political life is relevant to the reader or not should not matter when it is the nature of time and childhood that is in fact being discussed. This is relevant to us all.

Further weight is given to McEwan's premise in the contrast of the rural and the urban; the rural embodying the return to the private self, the public world of city life presented as a complacent treadmill of government reports, noise and people.

Whereas a novel like 'Enduring Love' cannot live up to its infamous opening passage, 'The Child In Time' has a sense of balance that is hard to find in many modern novels. Whilst certainly not a traditional closure, the unity and proportion of the novel is nigh-on perfect. Whilst it may be a novel of Ideas, and for the most part follows the protagonist's masculine emotional bluntness, it is also by the end profoundly moving. A spine-tingling climax to a genuinely brilliant novel.

4.0 out of 5 stars Original attempt at revealing the nature of childhood, 29 May 2001
Erika (Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Child In Time (Paperback)
'The Child In Time' was my first exposure to McEwan, and despite some reservations, led me to reading the rest of his novels and short stories. The child of the title is not one individual but many, and it is the parallels between childhood and adulthood, sanity and madness, portrayed through a number of 'childhoods', both literal and figurative which makes the book work on a number of levels. The main plot concerns Steven's attempts to find his lost daughter, to accept his loss and to salvage his crumbling marriage. Along the way he is drawn back into his own childhood in a sequence of incidents, often therapeutic, at times unhealthy and downright disturbing, where he is forced into examining both his relationship with his parents, and himself as an individual and as a parent. Throughout the process there is the cautionary figure of Charles Darke, a man denied childhood and regressing in his middle age, and the forays of both into politics, with its own bizarre parent-child structures.
The book manages to depict all of this, with realistic, fully formed and yet novel characters, whilst also commenting on British life as it was and as it could have been in a matter of years. As well as the ridiculous workings of politics and spin, the effects of television and the press are shown and the world of publishing is represented by Darke. In this way, McEwan evokes a whole credible environment that supports his points.
My main criticism of the novel is McEwan's tendency towards the sentimental, and in particular his conventional and less than realistic views of men (as active) and women (passive), which undermines the richness and scope of humanity that is such an asset in this tale. I would say this is something evident in his novels as a whole.
There are other novels which treat the theme of lost children ('Ghost Children' by Sue Townsend is a recent attempt) but fail to pack as much meaning into their pages or draw as many conclusions as McEwan does in this enjoyable, original and stimulating book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The case in favour of..., 27 Sep 2006
M. Campbell "Megan" (Cardiff, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Child In Time (Paperback)
I felt compelled to write a review of this book after reading the ones already submitted below. I know that enjoyment of a book is personal to the reader, but I was surprised to find that there were so few positive reviews. The Child In Time is one of my favourite books of all time and certainly my favourite of the novels by McEwan that I have read. I disagree with the opinions that only parents, couples and politicians will enjoy or get anything from this book - I first read it for my A Level in English Literature (i.e. as a 17 year old student) and loved it, and have since re-read it at age 25 and loved it even more because now I'm older - albeit still childless and still not a politician - I have been able to gain more meaning from it and discover new levels to it.

For me, the best thing about this book is the quality of the writing. I find when reading The Child In Time that I can visualise perfectly the scenes and empathise with the feelings McEwan describes, despite having never experienced the trauma of losing a child, the break-up of my marriage or witnessing a friend's mental breakdown. That to me is the mark of a top-class writer. I felt that the characters were utterly believable, and although the plot may not be action-packed from start to finish I liked that about it because somehow that makes it more starkly realistic.

Anyway, as I said at the beginning of this review, I know everyone who reads The Child In Time will feel differently about it, and just because I love it doesn't mean you will. The reviews below just seem overall to be negative about this book and I wanted to speak out in favour of a book that I feel is beautifully written and ultimately uplifting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Children and Time, 11 Feb 2000
This review is from: The Child In Time (Paperback)
What a splendid read! The way McEwan weaves separate threads of plot into one beautifully integrated and very moving discourse on childhood and time, loss and rediscovery, made this the best book I have read in a long, long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars mcewan at his best, 20 Nov 2008
R. Altman "Raphael Altman" (Oxford, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Child In Time (Paperback)
the child in time is a good example of what mcewan is all about. not the place to go for a gripping page turner, but thoroughly absorbing in every stroke of the pen.

mcewan is aware of the complexities of life, and through a linear medium is able to present a layered, textured, 3-dimensional portrayal of the situations under his attentive gaze, characterised by his micro-vision.

the child in the title is at once a central character, the nature of children and child rearing, and the child in all of us, as it comes and goes. similarly, the rest of the title refers to times in life and lifetimes, the particular time in our history, pure time in existence. (perhaps at the time of writing, 20 years younger, mcewan was more interested than he might be today, in questions of coincidence, serendipity, synchronicity and the like, laced with the mystical possibilities of the then new physics.) so the title itself is already a paradigm for the entire work and the method of working.

the writing is delightful; incisive and insightful, sympathetic and at times poetic.

an excellent introduction for newcomers and a treat for fans.

4.0 out of 5 stars At times a difficult read, but ultimately a rewarding one, 10 July 2008
This review is from: The Child In Time (Paperback)
Well, to all those that didn't like this novel, and feel the need to attack it - guess what, it's literature, not everyone's going to like it. Criticism is fair enough, but some of the reviews are just childish and boring.

I found this to be a truly disturbing read - the opening incident is truly harrowing, and the aftermath is what leads the ptotagonist, Stephen, into a story of touching sensitivity; an exploration of loss and what it is to need to be found.

What I found interesting is that there was always something at stake for the characters in this novel, always something to be gained or lost, which really heightens the drama. It had a beautifully constructed narrative arc, and the ending for me was spot-on.

Not my favourite McEwan by any means, but for fans of his work, a truly rewarding read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Challenging read but worth it, 10 Jan 2013
Emma Hawes (Oxfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Child In Time (Paperback)
I read this for my book club and out of five of us only two of us liked it. It starts off quite dull and unpromising, but if you can get into it and start to accept the academic style, then it is very well written and I really enjoyed it. I devoured it in three sittings and loved that the ending is not a Hollywood style saccharine story but a true-to-life, honest ending. It is quite a depressing book (which is why our book club didn't like it) and the themes are challenging, but I like that in a book and I'd like to read more of this author.

It isn't really about a child going missing though; I thought the blurb was misleading on that front. It is more about the aftermath of a child going missing, and it is not about the search for the child.

Definitely worth reading depsite the very dull first chapter!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite books., 9 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Child In Time (Paperback)
I first read this in A Level English some two decades ago. It was one of those unusual books which I came to love and enjoy more through reading, rereading, studying, taking apart and writing essays over: there are precious few books I could spend two years studying in depth and come out still able and willing to read it for pleasure. There's some truly beautiful, almost elegiac prose in here that still moves me. I think it's a fairly unpopular opinion, but I much prefer it to the lauded Atonement.

That said, I'm sure it's not for everyone. There are elements of what I'm tempted to call magical realism, the book is set in a London which is slightly off kilter, there are strange time jumps and interconnected stories and... well, it's not a book I'd recommend for a mindless read on a long plane flight, or to anyone who didn't have the patience for a more meandering and demanding read. There is also the simple fact that the main thread through the story is the abduction of a three year old child and the havoc that wreaks on the lives of her parents, which I know makes it a "can't read, won't read" for some. It's also not a thriller or a page turner.

What it is, is an interesting, thoughtful, thought provoking book that held me captive as a seventeen year old and can still do so nearly twenty years later. It's not for everyone, and I definitely feel it's one of those books where the "look inside"/sample functions reeeeeally come into their own, but it is IMO definitely worth the time to download that sample.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Curious mish-mash, 30 Aug 2009
Peter Scott (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Child In Time (Paperback)
This is a curious mish-mash of a book, quite unlike Mr.McEwan's normal tightly plotted and narrative driven style. It suffers from a number of clashing strands and themes - the abduction of the child, a government minister driven back into childhood fantasy by the homo-erotic leanings of a Prime Minister, a somewhat autobiograhical description of a post war serviceman's family life, the beginnings of a Clive Ponting type story about the leak of a controversial goverment report and a spot of time-travelling. All of these are promising but put together they do tend to get in the way of one another. For an ordinary writer this book would be interesting. For a writer of Mr. McEwan's great gifts it's rather a waste of material.

The Child in Time
The Child in Time by Ian McEwan (Paperback - 1997)
Used & New from: 29.95