Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 9 February 2004
I've been a fan of Maire's for a while and have her previous albums, "Maire", "Misty Eyed Adventures" and "Whisper To The Wild Water". All are really good albums but have a big difference in the good tracks and the tracks that are not so good. This new album "Two Horizons" has such depth of quality. I can honestly say I love all the tracks, from the uplifting "Show Me", to a very celtic drum beat-heavy "Mothers Of The Desert".
This is the best album of Maire's so far, and like a previous reviewer said, although she hasn't the quality of voice her sister Enya has, she still has a superb mesmerizing voice and writes the most beautiful and atmospheric songs of which this album shows her best work so far.
VINE VOICEon 24 June 2007
This album is good, but I can't agree with those reviewers who hail it as Moya's best ever. I bought it because I liked 'Whisper to the Wild Water' so much. That album marked a departure and a progression from Moya's work with Clannad, and gave her an identity of her own. With 'Two Horizons' she seems to be retreating back into the comfortable Clannad/Enya mould. Listening to it is a bit like soaking in a warm bath, or a meal of chocolate. Individual voices or instruments assert themselves only occasionally. When they do, as in 'Harpsong', they are like beacons of originality in a sea of new age uniformity. Moya's voice is steady and soothing, though sometimes I wish it could be allowed to emerge from the lavish wall-of-sound production and reveal itself in its naked purity. All of this makes for very pleasant easy listening, but when I think about this album I find it hard to distinguish one track form another. Is this what is meant by 'seamless' or 'themed'? If so, then give me a good old collection of individual songs, such as we have on 'Whisper to the Wild Water'.
on 10 August 2003
This album blend 16 tracks (13 different songs,plus 2 themes and a special mix) that flow without a weak link.All lyrics by Moya who has also composed with Ross Cullum with additional collaboration on four songs the recordings are well worth listening for the subtle use of chorus and a wide variety of instruments which is clever and never inappropriate.In particular I liked the use of the harp and Uilleam Pipes.Moya's voice is clear as ever.The song "Tara" is easy to learn."Show Me" and Bright Star" are are also outstanding.This album must have taken considerable work from a large team and I hope they will be encouraged from the result.
The CD is "enhanced CD" which helps with the etherial sound.
Based on a copy from Australia where first released in July,2003.
on 10 September 2007
First, this SACD disc WILL play on a normal CD player as it has a CD layer. Mine is playing on my normal CD player as I type.

Second, and to get the criticism out of the way, the extra track (a remix of Show Me) is not on the SACD layer, but that's not too much of a problem as the normal Moya fan will probably not like it anyway! Moya creates masterpieces, and to add a disco beat to her work is, in my humble opinion, a sacrilege!

So, on to the album. For me this album flows the most of any of Moya's albums, and is also the most accessible. In 5.1 surround the mix is very open - as you'd expect - but this is not a ping pong effects album, and as such it works beautifully in stereo. I don't have high-end surround kit so can't give a full appraisal of the quality (and I do most of my listening on the Hi-Fi, which is stereo) so I'll leave that to others.

Highlights include her lovely harp work (throughout the album, but especially on Harpsong), some excellent rhythmic tracks (which shows that you can have interesting beats going on without shoving them down your throat), and of course Moya's gentle voice. Highlighting the harp work suggests that this is a classical album, which in some ways it could be (but not as classical as her sister Enya), but mostly it's normal Moya territory - rock/folk with an Irish slant.

Standout track? A few contenders, possibly Falling, Tara, or River, but for me it is Mothers Of The Desert.

The title track is a poor track, and as it finishes the album it doesn't work for me. Maybe the album could have finished with Harpsong followed by Mothers Of The Desert for a stronger ending, but that's personal taste. There are enough good things on this album to make it a must buy if you like Moya's or Clannad's work, and it's the one I come back to most often.
on 1 June 2005
This is an extraordinary album, I'm only sorry that I've just discovered it now and not on release. If you haven't got a SACD player, stop dithering and go buy one tomorrow together with a copy of Two Horizons. I try to listen to this while I'm working, but I don't do any work - I just get lost in the surround sound and Maire's (sorry Moya's) beautiful voice. The production is exquisite. Something's going to do well to overtake this as my favourite. I just cannot recommend it highly enough.
on 26 June 2015
It's a long time since a slim young maiden carried her harp onto the stage in Berlin as part of the final act in the Irish Folk Festival on tour. She picked up a kitchen chair and put it down in front of the microphone, placed the harp on it and started to play. The music was so wonderful it totally silenced the somewhat noisy audience of Americans. The Germans made no noise at all and we Brits kept quiet.

There followed a show that left me totally knocked out, partly because I saw this beautiful willow wand of a girl with an angelic face, but mostly because of the magicl music that I was hearing.

Moving on ten years and Clannad bought out the theme for Harry's game, and I bought the LP. The magic still held me.

Later on I was able to see them again in the De Montfort hall in Leicester. Friction showed at one point in the show which eventually split the group but that angelic voice still captured and captivated me.

I am delighted to say that 43 years on and she still has that voice, maybe a bit lower in the vocal range but still with that soft silky tone and perfect modulation. It's the nearest thing to perfection I can think of. That mystical voice is my idea of Galadriel. It embodies the Elven perfectly.

As to this CD most of the tracks are excellent, but track 16 is not to my taste, a kind of 'pop' remix of track one. Other than that its a good buy, and I'm glad I did
on 1 November 2013
I have always had an affinity for Celtic music. It draws from an ancient consciousness that stirs the soul. (I come from that part of England, once known as Elmet, that was occupied by the Brigantes, so maybe it's in my genes!) I have been a fan of Clannad's and Moya's music since the beginning, so when we discovered that she would be coming to our neck of the woods to do a solo concert we bought the best tickets available. That was Hugh's Room, Toronto, March 6, 2004. Moya performed this album in its entirety and I believe it was the first time it had been heard in North America. We sat at the front by the stage and were totally captivated by this work and her and the band's performance. Moya was kind enough to sign our copy of the album and we had a nice chat with her. (If you've ever been to Hugh's Room you'll know how conducive it is to mingling with the artist after the show). OK, the album: it really is a great piece of work with beautiful celtic strains interweaving with Moya's gorgeous voice and lush electronic soundscapes to create a truly wonderful aural experience. The melodies are achingly beautiful and you quickly become lost in the story that is being told. Moya is a lovely lady and an inspired composer, and this comes through in spades on Two Horizons. A real treat, and one I never tire of listening to.
on 10 February 2005
This is a most refreshing album. I have always loved the atmospheric Irish sounds of Clannad and this is another great album. I have become a little tired of the monotonous Enya waltz style. Moya has a beautiful voice and the instrumental is obviously Clannad but I just never tire of it. The variations of 'Show me 'are very appealing. Its well produced and I look forward already to her next album.
VINE VOICEon 10 March 2014
Moya's voice is unique and very distinctive. The music / songs blend one to another in an almost hypnotic fashion. If you need to relax then this CD is the one you need. I have been unable to find anything wrong with this album. The music is well put together and produced, what else can you ask for?
on 14 January 2015
Fabulous, haunting melodies and vocals reminiscent of Clannad at their very best. Couldn't find fault with any of the tracks. If you want to relax just listen to Moya's ethereal vocals, superb. Probably her best work. Highly recommended for those with a taste for excellent music.