5.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction to Brenda's music, 21 Feb 2005
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Best Of Brenda Lee (Audio CD)
Brenda Lee began her career, aged just eleven, in 1956, but did not have a British hit until 1960. In total, she had twenty-two UK hits between 1960 and 1965 but she had many more than that in America. Generally, the British public seem to prefer her up-tempo rockers while the American public seem to prefer her ballads. I am an exception to the general rule, being a Brit who likes her ballads best, although I enjoy her rocking songs too.
While many classic tracks are missing (for example, I want to be wanted, Emotions, Break it to me gently), this is only a budget-priced album and it does contain all of Brenda's British top ten hits. The biggest of these, Speak to me pretty, was never released as a single in America although I can't think why - it is a great song. Brenda's other UK top ten hits were Sweet nothings, Here comes that feeling, Rocking around the Christmas tree, All alone am I and As usual.
I'm sorry, Let's jump the broomstick, Dum dum, Fool number one, It started all over again and Sweet impossible you are the other British hits included here. Several others (including I wonder and Is it true, both of which made the UK top twenty) are omitted, but Jambalaya (the song that started Brenda's career in America) is here, along with several other great tracks.
For a comprehensive collection of Brenda's hits, you should go for the double CD, Anthology. However, because it is an American compilation, it omits Speak to me pretty. As an introduction to the music of the most important female rock'n'roll singer, this is excellent.
Tracks
You can depend on me
Jambalaya
Speak to me pretty
Here comes that feeling
It started all over again
Dynamite
My coloring book
Heart in hand
My whole world is falling down
Sweet impossible you

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of Brenda Lee, 11 Mar 2011
Miss M. Potter "marcia" (england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Best Of Brenda Lee (Audio CD)
This compilation of the best of Brenda Lee is a lovely collection of twenty wonderful and timeless recordings. It is only a budget priced CD, and is in no way definitive, but it is an excellent testament, and introduction to "little miss dynamite" Brenda Lee.
If you only want one CD of recordings by Brenda Lee then this is an excellent choice.

The CD kicks off with her UK number 4 hit "Sweet nothin`s" and the number 12 UK hit "I`m sorry". Other hits on the CD are "Dum Dum", "fool number one" and the festive classic "Rockin around the Christmas tree".
I love her number seven hit from 1963 called "all alone am I". It is a real tearjerker, and I am very fond of "Losing you" a number 10 hit from the same year. "As usual" is another interesting hit, with a country feel to it that reached number 5 in the UK charts.
Also on this compilation is the Rock n Roll "Lets jump the broomstick" And two favourite hits from 1962 "Speak to me pretty" and "Here comes that feeling".

There are some other great tracks included here that were not hits in the UK but are a good addition to the set. For example "you can depend on me", "Dynamite" and "Jambalaya" a Hank Williams song that was later popularised by the Carpenters and had been a hit for Fats Domino.
Also there is the soft reflective "my colouring book",
This album concludes with the chirpy soft pop hit "sweet impossible you".
Brenda Lee had a unique vocal style and the arrangements of these recordings have an atmosphere and presence all of its own. There is romance in some songs and an uptempo beat in others. The musical style of pop music that was Brenda Lee is now a part of classic pop history.
This is a very enjoyable collection of tracks and I would recommend this CD to anyone who is interested in the special sound of Brenda Lee.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, 13 Dec 2012
Terrahurtz (Kidlington, Oxon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best Of Brenda Lee (Audio CD)
Brenda Lee occupies that musically bland period at the end of the 50s /beginning of the 60s when most of the leading rock and rollers had either moved to the mainstream (Elvis) , died (Eddie Cochran) or both (Buddy Holly). The early days of the 60s saw success for such clean cut artists as Bobby Vee, before they were in turn displaced by the raucous energy of guitar bands like the Beatles and Stones.

That said, Brenda Lee made a lot of very good records. I bought this knowing only rockin' around the Christmas tree, the seminal rockabilly `Let's jump the broomstick' and a few of the biggest hits like Dum Dum, Sweet Nothins and Speak to me Pretty, but there were half a dozen real finds on this for me and there's not a really dud track on here.

Aside from some unpleasant raucous sounds on odd notes on `All you gotta do' and `Jambalaya' Lee had a lovely rich voice for one so young (just about all of these songs were recorded when she was still a teenager) and she carries off ballads such as Fool #1 just as well as the up-tempo tracks.

Well worth buying. Bargain price too.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'ONE OF THE 'GREAT ACTS' FROM YESTERYEAR', 23 Mar 2014
rbmusicman (U.K) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Best Of Brenda Lee (Audio CD)
I was fortunate to have seen 'Little Miss Dynamite' live at a local venue during
the early Sixties.
Because of her slight-build' and powerful voice she was known as 'Little Miss
Dynamite' back then.
'Brenda' had a number of chart entries during the latter part of the fifties into
the early sixties, among her notable numbers.....'As Usual'....'Speak to me Pretty'
'I'm Sorry'....'Let's Jump the Broomstick'.....and....'All Alone am I'......not forgetting
the number that re-appears every Christmas....'Rockin' around the Christmas Tree'
Just some of the many chart successes this memorable star of yesteryear had.
I still own the 45's I collected of hers, along with owning this particular C.D.
This a wonderful reflection of the talent that was ...'Brenda Lee'
Those of us that lived the era need no reminding of this great little performer.

4.0 out of 5 stars 'Think' - or is it just 'The Waiting Game' ('As Usual'), 28 Mar 2010
N. Hammond (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best Of Brenda Lee (Audio CD)
Another good selection of Little Miss Dynamite's hits, no doubt - and more than welcome for 'Sweet Impossible You' (flip to 'The Grass Is Greener' and a UK hit in late 1963). What I want to know is: When the record companies are just going to pay up, and let us - the money paying fans - once more have access to Brenda's other work. The LP 'Too Many Rivers' or the flip sides like 'He's Sure To Remember', etc. I, for one, do so with great fondness, and am terrified of ruining my now ancient and most precious vinyl waxings where a series of CDs would more than easily fit the bill of presenting the breadth of talent in this unique artist to a wider audience (and not just through endless rehashing of her best know tunes .. wonderful though they are). Please, get serious; let the artist have her dues - and don't treat us (your golden goose) like 'She'll Never Know' or worse 'Your Used To Be'!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dynamite!, 13 Nov 2009
This review is from: The Best Of Brenda Lee (Audio CD)
Excellent in every respect great CD very well put together lots of foot-tapping and happy days of many years ago - 5 stars Plus!

5.0 out of 5 stars nearly all good tracks., 12 July 2014
This review is from: The Best Of Brenda Lee (Audio CD)
I expected a lot of 'fillers' but no; nearly all good tracks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 7 July 2014
Fab singer always.

5.0 out of 5 stars good cd, 10 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Best Of Brenda Lee (Audio CD)
Very good CD it made me think of a few years ago when I was in the army and young

4.0 out of 5 stars Memories, 8 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Best Of Brenda Lee (Audio CD)
The memories this brought back to me were so good, some sad, and others were great fun, my husband and I will be married 50 years this October. We play this often now.
Many Thanks