5.0 out of 5 stars The Annie Lennox Collection
What a wonderful collection this is. When Annie began her solo career in earnest with 'Why' and the album 'Diva' she was the biggest selling UK female vocalist and had 'Brit' awards left , right and centre. Since then her popularity has waned slightly but this collection should put Annie back in the charts where she belongs.
Annies big hits 'Why', 'Little Bird' and...
Published on 6 Feb 2009 by R. J. Hingston

2.0 out of 5 stars Misrepresentation!
I bought this product thinking there was "Love Song for a Vampire" on the Bonus DVD as advertised on Amazon. Imagine my disappointment when it wasn't there.

I originally ordered the title from Amazon.com which did not list this song on the Bonus DVD and bought it from Amazon.co.uk instead, thinking this was a different press.

Amazon, can you please...
Published on 29 July 2009 by Vernon Voon

5.0 out of 5 stars The Annie Lennox Collection, 6 Feb 2009
Annies big hits 'Why', 'Little Bird' and 'Walking On Broken Glass' are all included here on disc one along with the massive hit 'No More I Love Yous' taken from her second solo album'Medusa'. There is a also a fine selection of 'should have been hits'including 'Pavement Cracks'and 'A Thousand Beautiful Things' the highlights from her third and rather dark album 'Bare'. Why these tracks were not hit singles is a mystery along with 'Dark Road' and 'Sing' from Annies most recent wonderful album 'Songs Of Mass Destruction'
From the point of view of the fan who already has everything , there are two new tracks including Annies new single 'Shining Light' which is such an upbeat and positive song that must surely give Annie a deserved hit.
Also for the fans there is a second disc which includes harder to find gems such as Annies Ocsar winning track 'Into The West' taken from the soundtrack of the final Lord of the Rings epic 'The Return of The King', and Annies take on 'Everytime We Say Goodbye' recorded for the fabulous
'Red Hot and Blue' album. The only thing missing here for me is Annie's single with Al Green 'Put A little Love In Your Heart' which gave Annie her fist US Top Ten hit away from Eurythmics.
Disc three includes a fine selection on Annies wonderful videos. The video for 'Shining Light' is already a favourite as Annie appears to be a having a great time in her dressing up box!!
This is such a good collection of quality songs, and with 3 discs it's excelent value for money too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Voice, 2 Nov 2009
Having never really been a big fan of the Eurithmics, I really love Annie as a solo artist. I love all the tracks on the album - my favourites being Pattern of my Life and Shining Light (I actually didnt realise that this was an old Ash song until my husband pointed this out, but prefer Annie's version). I cant understand some reviews calling it "depressing". OK, its not exactly dance music, but easy listening and music to listen to when you want to relax etc. Get a life!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Rare And Precious Thing, 13 Mar 2009
The Wolf (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
How can one measure the whole worth of this wonderful woman and her work?

Mrs Wolf done good. Standing in line for two hours yesterday evening in one
of London's largest musical emporiums means that Mr Wolf is now the very proud
owner of a signed copy (with love no less) of Ms Lennox's retrospective collection.

Thankyou Mrs Wolf.

The two CDs and one DVD which comprise this inestimable release present an
overview of her solo work to date. Many of the tracks will, of course, be familiar
to her fans but it is good nonetheless to have them lined up according to her will
and whim. Ms Lennox has every reason to be proud.

The voice needs no introduction. Undoubtably one of the great voices of our time.
Instantly recognisable. A touchstone for all that might count for wisdom and
true feeling in a world gone mad. A national treasure. (I hope that we may be
forgiven for sharing just a little of Scotland's glory).

I guess we all have our favorite songs from her repertoire. Some of mine are here.

The achingly beautiful melody and lyrics of 'Why' must surely have the power
to thaw even the coldest heart. It connects at the deepest emotional level because
each and every one of us has had a 'Why' moment at some point in our lives.

That's what she does you see. Touches us. Reassures us. Connects her fears with ours.
Cheers us on. These are rare qualities in a world of quick fix musical formulae.
There is no formula here other than solid gold. ( Au. Atomic number 79 ).

So good to hear 'Love Song For A Vampire' from Mr Coppola's 'Dracula' again and
a small pity that the video was not included on the DVD.

The inclusion of Joni Mitchell tribute, 'Ladies Of The Canyon' was a nice suprise.
It's a truly stunning arrangement which casts new light on a great song.

Other highlights include an incredibly affecting performance of Cole Porter's
'Every Time We Say Goodbye'. A brave move too given Ella Fitzgerald's historic rendition.
The live take of 'Many Rivers To Cross', is a pure blast of undiluted, unadulterated soul.

'Shining Light', a new recording, is an uplifting experience.
Ms Lennox really does sound as though she is enjoying herself.

'Dream Angus' and 'Hush, Hush, Hush' are simply sublime.

Nice to have the videos too. These small art films have always allowed
our heroine to express the complexity of her elusive personality.
They are both evocative and fun in equal measure.
The culminating multiple Minnie Mouse moments of
'Waiting In Vain' never fail to make me laugh out loud !
'Precious' still packs a mighty punch seventeen years on.

The packaging, however, which others have correctly
pointed out, is very cheap and nasty.
Our Lady deserved a finer frock for her graduation ball !

A stunning achievement.

Love right back atcha Annie !

Essential.

5.0 out of 5 stars scotland's mother theresa, 20 Mar 2009
Only a Scottish person (and I am one) with his skewed sense of national identity could have written the above review (kingboogie). Though Ms Lennox now enjoys more success States-side (where she is regarded as a musical legend)it is testament to the staying power that puts her right up there with near contemporaries Sting, Madonna, George Michael, Kate Bush and Bjork that this album has gone top ten. Class.

4.0 out of 5 stars fabulous music but confused about the dvd contents, 21 Mar 2009
R. Pievaitis "aka richard meadows, BleedTheField" (communing with the arcturians above new mexico) - See all my reviews
help,i am just about to order this 3 disc package,mainly for the music which looks to be a fab-u-lous selection of annies best work.
but i am getting really confused over the inclusion or not of the "love song for a vampire "video.
now if you look at the FULL listing above ( click on the option and you get the whole list) it states it is track 10 on the dvd.so why are people here ,namely mr woolf saying that it is not on the disc !!!!
if you also play the promotional video on this Amazon page above- the one that shows the cover art with the brian adams photo,it DOES show the love song for a vampire promo vid is included.
so far so confused.
well i suppose i will have to wait for my copy to arrive in the morning and check it out myself !?
but if it isn,t on the 3rd disc - amazon ,expect some serious complaining from me about the Trade Description Act.you cannot simply go around puting wrong information on a website and AGAIN on the promo film for the same product on your website and expect to get away with it.
however if love song for a vampire IS on the dvd disc then what the heck are these people here on about ?
so i,ll post again tommorrow,-expect some reaction one way or another.
p.s. why cannot people get the facts right in the first place and then it all makes one little less problem to carry round in your head.
i do try to de clutter my brain everynight before going to sleep as there is so much trivia swimming around in our world today.
as regards the packaging again i will report back in the morning when this beauty arrives.

2.0 out of 5 stars Misrepresentation!, 29 July 2009
Vernon Voon (Singapore) - See all my reviews

Amazon, can you please explain the misrepresentation?

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Collection But Packaging Could Be Better, 14 Mar 2009
I like the new collection. I am in the USA and I bought the USA copy too. But was disappointed it didnt contain the videos for Pattern Of My Life & Shining Light. Plus the US version didnt come with the second audio disc. So I bought it from the UK too. The bonus disc sound quality I think is better than the MP3s on Itunes us in the states got stuck with. (that was our choice for the extra disc in the USA..down load it from Itunes). It is true the older videos are grainy but they arent so bad to get up in the air over...the worst thing is there is no play all feature..so after every video you have to click with the remote to the next video from the main menu..tacky. Very tacky. But the music is incredible..I love her music and always will as long as it keeps sounding this great! In the states a ignorant radio personality said the collection was three hits and a lot of filler. what a crock! If he had enough sense to know that Annie has had a lot more hits in other countries besides just the three BIG hits in the US plus shes had a few big dance chart hits from her solo singles in the US too..This collection is all good songs. Im happy they put it out and Im happy to own it. Too bad Put A Little Love was not included but Im sure it had to do with a copyright issue since it is from a motion picture..pick this up..I think you'll like it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A shining light, 17 April 2009
Denise hale (CHELTENHAM, Glos United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I seem to be spending a lot of time driving up and down the M5 and I needed something to listen to me. I've always liked Annie Lennox and this collection reminds me why (no pun intended). Annie's voice is soaringly beautiful but also haunting, the lyrics suddenly grab you and you wonder at their meaning. My journey becomes a pleasure and I forget the day.

Of course I can't watch dvd as I drive but the price difference was so low I decided to go for this option. I enjoyed seeing the videoes again, they are stylish classics.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Collection, 28 Mar 2009
Ms J. May "Jelly" (Wigan, England) - See all my reviews
This album is great and puts together all the hits you want on one cd. Fantastic.

4.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Top Quality from Annie, 10 Mar 2009
J. F. Smith "Jonathan Smith" (Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
Annie Lennox has a beautiful voice; throughout her musical career she has clearly worked extremely hard to try to achieve top quality performances. This collection is a brilliant example of just how impressive she is.
For me "Why", "Precious", "No more I love you" and "Pavement Cracks" are all exceptional tracks. I guess I am lucky not to have bought her solo albums already; I will enjoy getting to know some of the more obscure (only for me) songs.

The Annie Lennox Collection