5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading
If you want to get at all serious about taking Drupal beyond a simple installation, this book is going to be a massive help to you. If you're anything like me you'll come back to it again and again for reference and to try out some new ideas.

Published on 9 Jan 2009 by M. Bull

3.0 out of 5 stars Informative but disjointed and rather dull.
Published on 17 Oct 2009 by Mr. Jeremy Flowers

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading, 9 Jan 2009
M. Bull "gnozu" (Folkestone, UK) - See all my reviews

It covers all kinds of development areas such as building your own modules, the form API, themes, and even best practices. All this kind of stuff can be found online, but it's a big help to have it all clearly explained in one place. Sometimes you just need someone to guide you through the maze of options that Drupal offers.

Much of the book isn't for the faint-hearted. You need a good working knowledge of PHP and some MySQL. Most books start you off nice and easy, but here the early chapters are very much a leap into the deep-end. There's a certain amount of reliance on just accepting fairly esoteric Drupal stuff until it's explained more clearly later in the book.

The book also comes with plenty of examples, which you can download for free from Apress. These really help you get your head around some of the trickier ideas (I found one or two of the examples didn't work as described - but to be fair there are some errata by the author on the Apress site).

In summary - this book is an excellent buy if you want to take Drupal to the next level but don't know where to start.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helped me understand all the different pieces, 13 May 2009
Dave Nyss (Godalming, UK) - See all my reviews
there is much information on the web about Drupal, lots of good bits of specific information; as a experienced developer, but no experience of Drupal, I found it like being a "detective" trying to piece together a puzzle, i knew the sort of thing I wanted to do but couldn't quite find all the information in one place to tell me how to do it. I was just about getting there when I decided to bite the bullet and buy a reference manual. What a difference it has made, I can highly recommend this book. its well laid out and talks you through all the powerful features of drupal in a thoughtful sequence. It has helped fill in lots of gaps. Drupal is a powerful, flexible product with lots of ways of dong things, that makes it very confusing when you first come across it. its easier to learn something when there is only one way to do it or you are led through the options, this is what this book does very well.

4.0 out of 5 stars The perfect book for Drupal developers, 24 Mar 2009
Unlike other content management systems, Drupal can appear daunting to new users. It is full of concepts like nodes, hooks, themes and the form api which can take weeks to learn.

Pro Drupal Development should be a mandatory read for anyone wanting to use Drupal for their website. It guides you through the technology with clear, well written sections on every aspect of Drupal including module development.

You will need a reasonably good grasp of PHP to follow the book and I found myself having to re-read some chapters before the concepts sank in; particularly the theme() function and form api.

I also found this book useful once after I became more proficient in Drupal. I was able to return to topics to check my approach was correct and I now find the book sits beside me while developing new Drupal sites.

In summary, a worthwhile read for anyone wanting to use Drupal professionally.

3.0 out of 5 stars Informative but disjointed and rather dull., 17 Oct 2009
The book is not very paletable in the first 250 or so pages. Have you ever read a page and thought... "What did I just read. I didn't take any of that in" and you have to re-read sections a few times to start to understand things. This occurred often (30% of the first 250 pages being incoherent I'd say) and was compounded sequencing errors where things didn't get discussed in the right order. The copy editors should have picked up on this and helped improve the readability of the text (awkward sentence construction). Functions were called in code, then eventually explained some 50 or so pages later. Things of this nature.
As the book progresses it gets better because you've covered more ground. I found the chapters on Taxonomy, CVS and JQuery to be the most lucid. Appendix B also contains some valuable online references that should help you get going too.
Had it not been for these things and the fact I feel I've learnt a few tips on caching techniques and security issues along the way too, I would have given this book two stars because of how arduous the book was to follow.
I felt particularly irked to by the cop out on P271. What a waste of paper and time of the reader, giving an example you were told you shouldn't follow because it was flawed.
It is informative, but more of a dull reference than a Recipe book or a meaty example that gets built over course of book, either of which I would have preferred as a beginner to Drupal. It is the kind of book you'd need to read at least twice to get the best out of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb; essential for Drupal developers, 29 Oct 2009
The negative reviews of this book are unfair and misplaced. This book is not meant as an introduction to Drupal, and it won't wake any sense if you're not familiar with Drupal's front end and PHP. However, if you want to write Drupal modules or better understand how Drupal works internally, you need this book.

Or, if you prefer:

This book sucks! It taught me absolutely nothing about piloting light aircraft!

1.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Version - BEWARE!, 4 May 2011
This review is from: Pro Drupal Development, Second Edition (Kindle Edition)
Firstly, I find it very frustrating when people rate products low, and when you read the reasons behind it, they are not actually rating the product itself, but often the supplier, packaging, delivery etc.

So I will review this product twice in one entry, but my overall rating is for the Kindle version. Pro Drupal Development, Second Edition

Context.
I am a Drupal Newbie, with no PHP knowledge (although I do have programming background, albeit not OO). I have been playing with Drual 7 for about a month now developing a corporate help portal. My goal was to do so without resorting to code, and that may well end up being the case, but I wanted this book to explain the fundamentals of Drupal, and help explain why things are the way they are.

Content. 4/5
I like the style of the writing, the examples given, and the step by step approach. I feel the author does a good job explaining the structure of Drupal. I did feel that he sometimes launched into subjects without setting the context, and it wasn't obvious why he wanted to focus on an area, and where it would be of use. I would have appreciated more scenarios, to help set the context of why you would want to do xyz.

KINDLE. 1/5
The Kindle version of this book is not formatted properly for Kindle. You can't skip through chapters, you cant hyperlink from table of contents to relevant chapter. The code exmaples vary in font size from unreadable to large. All in all, this makes it useless as a reference book on Kindle. I know that the Kindle is not the best device for technical ref books, but I have to say that this is the worst rendering of an ebook I have come across, and I have many on my kindle.

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT for newbies in Drupal, 7 Jun 2009
So I bought a good book!
Everyone points to this as being a "Bible of Drupal"

Well good it may be.
May be a I fell foul of the title, referring to Development
As a developer of a [ahem] lot of years and recently dragging myself into PHP & .NET - not for want (more by business need)

Having 'consumed' many technical articles/books/manuals I can say yes it looks
like a damn good resource and one I may well come back to in time.
If I need to build modules.

But if you've just started with a xAMP install, downloaded Drupal and gone through the hoops on installing and getting to the 'welcome' you're left somewhat in the lurch.

Loads of modules
Loads of themes
It can do "anything/everything" .. but little dummies guide to how-to !?

OK - you know about taxonomys, templates, CSS etc.
Simple tasks like a homepage isn't explained/obvious.
A home page isn't one of many .. it's a one-off
everything is geared towards multiples of ans lists/modules

The books appears to be very code intensive.
A website does provide some/most of the code as a download - it's not all.
Also the list of errata appears to have been already incorporated, which is good but come form of [done/include mark would assist as there are a LOT of errata].
I generally head for before I start to read this sort of material, otherwise their typos can screw your understanding before you start.

Pro Drupal Development, Second Edition