on 25 August 2015
One of the good ones, and the first Japanese whiskey I had the pleasure of owning a bottle of rather than buying by the glass. What an investment! The bottle is too small as I'm afraid you're likely to just keep wanting more. Flavour wise it doesn't taste close to its 51% in terms of bite, but it's there in terms of flavour, everything I hoped for and more.
It was recommended to me as a gateway to Japan by a true connoisseur, dangerous advice, I'm now buying more. The massive boom in Japanese whiskeys that is gathering pace is pushing the price up, so strike while the iron is hot, if you can splash out a bit I'd also advise buying some of the Nikka aged bottles, they're vanishing fast and the prices is shooting up, once you've tried this you'll want more, best to buy before they become unaffordable.
on 8 May 2014
Somewhere between an oaky highland malt and the caramel of the best bourbon, Nikka whisky is unique and really, really tasty.
on 13 January 2016
Wonderful stuff , needs a smidge of water of course being barrel strength and 51.4% . Not as nice as the Hibiki 12 year old but cheaper so fine and depends what mood one is in .If you fancy a powerful but refined whisky this is for you .
on 11 May 2014
I had this after the Nikka 'black' - which I preferred, finding it more complex. It's interesting being a Japenese cask strength, but I couldn't get many flavors, even with a drop o' water. quite smooth considering the a.b.v.
on 4 February 2014
What a great treat.....really lovely drop. I am now a convert to Japanese whisky! Delicious! I hope to be trying more brands soon.
on 29 July 2015
Not dissimilar to a big old fashioned "Highland bruiser"; Powerful in flavour with complex layers of toffee and dark fruit? Also a hint of smoke and a long finish, this is a very big flavoured whisky but also very well balanced, it's not cheap but is really good, it compares well with a number of fine Scottish offerings that fall in the same price bracket, it is well worth trying.
on 18 April 2016
My favourite of all the Nikka whiskeys there is something special about this even before you taste it.
The packaging and bottle are so good to look at that it takes pride of place front and centre of my collection.
From the barrel is the one I always use to show new comers to Japanese Whisky that you don't have to stick to Scotland for a lovely drink.
on 9 August 2015
Beautifully presented to create an impression that this is something special. Tasting the whiskey confirms this, it's strong and smooth without a hint of harshness so a touch of water is the drinker's choice rather than a necessity to take the edge off.
Definitely a drink to be savoured, enjoyed and definitely not rushed
on 2 April 2013
A quick and efficient service provided by this great seller, as for the whisky it surpasses what I expected from taste and quality, it has a good strong flavors from the malt would I buy it again YES would I buy from this seller YES, going to try others from this range
on 8 February 2014
I buy my husband a different whisky every Xmas to ring the changes, and this one is superb. It's expensive as it's only a 50cl bottle, but it's very good. A sweeter taste if you like that, and nothing like the Islay whisky that tastes of bandages dipped in TCP.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse