Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£3.49

on 12 July 2001
What an album - Saxon were the first band I ever saw, back in the mid 80s. I can honestly say they got me into metal music but fifteen years or so later I started to listen less and less to my collection (marriage and kids and stuff and lack of time)but I came across the old vinyls whilst clearing out my loft and have got back into it big time (appart from the long hair !). So I looked for a "best of" album to try and summarise the Saxon albums, and I can't stop playing it at home, work and in the car.
Tha album boasts such classics as Denim and Leather, 747, Ride Like the Wind, And The Bands Played On, Never Surrender and Princess of the Night. The whole thing brings back big memories. I guess the only track that's not on there that should be included in a best of collection is Wheels of Steel, but I'm sure that will be on "The VERY Best of Saxon" when that's released - can't wait.
So, if like me, you were into Saxon twenty odd years ago but haven't listened to them in a long while, buy this album and you'll wonder why you ever stopped listening to them in the first place. (And I bet you'll still remember all the lyrics too !)
on 9 October 2001
I first listened to Saxon some 20 years ago as a long haired youth into the "New Wave of British Heavy Metal" and have not listened to them much over the past 15 years. This album brought it all back! an excellent slice of British heavy Metal from the 80's. The only bone of contention is the omission of the track "wheels of steel" despite this track being mentioned on the sleeve notes. That aside it is full of great songs that give you a real taste of what Saxon were all about. The Eagle has landed, 747-Strangers in the night, Dallas 1pm, denim and leather, the band played on etc, are all here. A couple of the live tracks are not the best mix quality but they are listenable. If you want to know about Saxon or wish to rediscover their appeal buy this album!
on 2 July 2009
It has to be close on 20 years since I last really listened to Saxon, Crusader being the last album I bought. Of the late 70s to early 80s crop of metal bands, I always considered Saxon to be just a cut above the competition with great riffs, good vocals and memorable songs. Other bands may have had greater 'commercial' success, but with Saxon you knew what you were getting every time. Since most of their recordings that I own were on tape cassette, I had been looking for a suitable overview of their output which HAD to include '747'; 'Wheels of Steel'; 'Denim & Leather' and the superb 'Dallas 1pm'. Yip they are all here! From start to finish this CD contains no nonsence, no frills, head down rock-n-roll. Interestingly the main body of the recordings contained on this CD come from 4 albums (Wheels of Steel / Strong Arm of The Law / Denim & Leather / Power & The Glory) the period of their greatest success. If you like metal at its melodic best, get this compilation.
on 3 April 2015
It's got everything you could want from a Saxon best of album. The only disappointment for me was that I have heard remastered versions of a few of these songs that really beef them up so they don't sound as dated. I assumed these versions would be on this album. Unfortunately not. I have since found out that these versions are on a reissue of Heavy Metal Thunder (another compilation album which also includes a live CD) that was only released in February 2015. As such I would recommend that album over this one.
on 6 April 2013
Listening to the radio one day the station was playing Dallas 1pm. Excuse my ignorance but I don't think I've ever heard anything by this band. On the strength of that brilliant track I purchased this compilation which on the whole is very good. Indeed some of the tracks are excellent and at less than a fiver this cd is an absolute bargain. If like me you are new to this band then I would heartily recommend this for a starter.
on 23 November 2013
I was never a big fan of Saxon, but I remember "Wheels of Steel" well. I bought this as I was going to a gig where Saxon were the support act and so I thought I would give it a listen beforehand. I've quite enjoyed listening to it, but it's not top of my playlist. Some good old rock tunes though and WOS still does it. I never got to see them play as the gig was cancelled. Too bad!
on 27 February 2013
Bought this to relive my youth and listen to the songs i only had on tape and LP. Saw Saxon live at Leicester a few times in the mid 80's and then again a year or so ago...made me want to buy this after seeing them again. Great collection of their well known songs and a great starting point for a new fan. Great price too...
on 14 May 2009
this is a fantastic collection of the more well known songs by saxon from the 80s, it sounds great and the booklet is very informative, if you dont have all of saxons material from the 80s you might want to check this compilation out, its very good as well as the remasters emi has been putting out this year ( 2009), cheers!!!
on 2 August 2009
This Album brings back great memories of being at school and first seeing saxon on TOTP. I kind of lost touch with the Band after 1985 and did not get any of the albums made after (i think i will have to now!). This album however, is a classic! Crank up the CD or ipod and rock with one of the best Heavy Metal bands this country has produced. Hearing the classics such as Motorcycle Man, 747 and wheels of steel will make you remember why you liked this band in the first place.

For those of you who are too young to remember them, you must check this album out and find out where many of the modern metal bands get their influences from.
on 14 July 2015
fantastic collection from one of the great british hard rock/metal bands. All yours favourites put together on one cd-747 strangers in the night, wheels of steel, big teaser etc. Not a dud track on the disc.