5.0 out of 5 stars Great value and do the job
Published on 8 Oct. 2009 by Exbiztraveller

3.0 out of 5 stars noise cancelling headphones
Made the mistake and tested the bose set of noise cancelling headphones (£300)
These were absolute excellence but the price tag was far too much to fork out for.
After reading reviews and really to be honest didnt want to pay any more than £40 - £50
Published on 23 Aug. 2010 by F.bingham

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value and do the job, 8 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Sony MDRNC7B Noise Cancelling Headphones (Electronics)
Let's be realistic these are £35 / $50 phones so they won't be as good as the top range products. And they are pitched firmly at the in flight market - it says so on the box. So they are not ideal for noise from air conditioning, road traffic etc. But in the acid test - at the back of a BA Boeing 777 when users of the standard BA headset had abandoned any hope of hearing a movie or listening to a MP3 player - they did the job. Engine noise was reduced to the point where the very reasonable ear phone performance could deliver a clear range of sound without the need for the volume to be excessive. The ear fit is good and there is none of the slight high pitched electronic noise reported by some reviewers of alternative systems. So if you take the view that you want to use these for making a flight tolerable, and you are not judging them against your home hi fi, these are excellent value for money and highly recommended. So much so that I have just purchased a second pair!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Sony quality but one small issue, 2 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Sony MDRNC7B Noise Cancelling Headphones (Electronics)
I'll start by saying that these are excellent for travel on an aeroplane and for studying/office work. I bought these early into a five week holiday to Japan/Australia/Thailand as in total I was going to be flying for over 60 hours (I actually got them from the Sony centre in Tokyo - just thought I'd throw that in there!). My first reason for only four stars is that although the noise cancelling is strong - I am using them now and cannot hear myself typing - it wasn't entirely enough to block out all the engine noise. That said I could clearly hear the in flight 'entertainment' without the volume too high. They also worked well amplifying my iPod Nano to an audible level on a plane - the Nano is not the most powerful of devices. They spent five weeks in and out of my rucksack and I have not experienced any issues with wear and tear - an added benefit is that they fold to a compact size.

One caveat I should mention is that the noise cancelling was unusable on some of the pot hole covered roads I experienced in Thailand as the frequent violent shaking caused skipping with what was playing. I thought this may have been due to my music player but I confirmed it was the headphones by switching off the noise cancellation - at which point the sound was uninterrupted. This problem did not occur during turbulence when flying. I would say that these headphones are mainly for normal travel i.e. planes, trains, the underground, normal road conditions - my version even came with a two plug aeroplane adapter. They have since served me well back in cold and wet England as a method to drown out my flatmates whilst finishing last minute coursework.

For anything other than extreme sports I recommend them highly, especially for the relatively low price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very comfortable and good value, 21 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Sony MDRNC7B Noise Cancelling Headphones (Electronics)
These are very comfortable and fairly effective noise reducing headphones. They don't seal over the ear like other similar models and the noise cancelling is quite gentle. They were used on a long haul return trip from UK to the Pacific. My traveling companion preferred them to the higher end headphones I had bought for her, because of their comfort and because the noise cancelling effect was not so harsh.

I compared them against a pair of Sennheiser PXC 300s and I would say they were about 60% as effective as the Sennheisers. Against two pairs of in-ear noise cancelling headphones they were in a different league - 100% better. But these comparisons are purely subjective.

Pro's:
- Very comfortable - more so than other headphones at the same size
- Gentle on the ears
- Good value for money
- Compact design with the battery in one of the phones

Con's:
- Not much noise isolation
- Middle of the range noise cancelling - but not bad

5 stars for the balance of price, comfort and performance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony Noise Cancelling Headphones, 27 Jun. 2010
S. Thompson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony MDRNC7B Noise Cancelling Headphones (Electronics)
We have had two pairs of the previous Sony Model - the 6B - for some years and used them on flights all over the world and generally found them to be excellent even when used via a splitter from one MP3 player. After a lot of use one pair suddenly lost sound in one channel so I went for the newer 7B - well done Amazon for the usual speedy free delivery (2 days from order) - after a couple of uses I can now confirm the 7B are even better than the previous model - they are noise reduction not cancelling but it does make a huge difference on a 20 hour flight to Oz or a 10 hr one to San Fransisco. The new model reduces outside noise and engine humm sufficiently more than the previous model that I can now use them just to sleep even when not plugged into the MP3 or the aircraft entertainment system (They do come with an extra adjustable flight plug as well as a bag). The 7B is more comfortable on the ear as the padding is much improved, and for the price I am more than pleased. When the other older set gives up I won't hesitate to replace with the 7B. Am currently using with a 5thGen Nano and sound is excellent in the "On" mode on flights. I also like the change in styling as the 7B folds into its bag making it easy to store or pack or put in the seat pocket whereas the 6B only half folded so always stayed more bulky to store. The old model had the AAA battery on the actual headphone arm on one side whereas the 7B the battery is now in the outside of one of the ear muffs so much neater. And it has a small red indicator light on the muff to show "on" "or" so saving battery power as you won't forget its "on". Well done Sony for design and well done Amazon for the price. Why would you pay for Bose when you can have these (unless you are a lottery winner of course). The Sony 7B is for us.

4.0 out of 5 stars Inflight noise suppression, 4 Dec. 2009
Mr. Brian Mills (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony MDRNC7B Noise Cancelling Headphones (Electronics)
I wanted to have some reduction in the constant background noise when flying and having looked around, and not wanting to spend a fortune, chose these Sony headphones. Having just returned from Mauritius on a 12 hours night flight each way I was pleasantly surprised to find that they really did make a difference. Listening to movie soundtracks and music was much improved and my wife wore them while sleeping. I can certainly recommend them for aircraft use. Don't expect miracles from them - balance cost against results.

3.0 out of 5 stars noise cancelling headphones, 23 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Sony MDRNC7B Noise Cancelling Headphones (Electronics)
Made the mistake and tested the bose set of noise cancelling headphones (£300)
bought the sony set.First impressions are that they are very well built and flexible,a nice felt bag to keep them in and the battery compartment is very easy to change batteries.Having read alot of reviews about these headphones and read that the battery was impossible to remove.These people must have white finger or boxing gloves for hands.Any way I bought these mainly for out walking with my Ipod.The noise cancelling , in my opinion ,only works because the muffs on the headphones act like earmuffs.When you turn the switch on it amplifies the music.Dont get me wrong the quality that comes out the headphones is of a good quality if not a bit quiet for my choice.I was on the train and walking about the city streets and they kept out any unwanted noise and they are pretty comfortable.Value for money i think is pretty good but there is still the problem everyone has of the top strap not being padded but this is only a small glitch.

4.0 out of 5 stars good at keeping noise out, noise cancelling function not sure, 16 July 2010
This review is from: Sony MDRNC7B Noise Cancelling Headphones (Electronics)
These are good headphones for the money. I travel on the tube every day for an hour and a quarter each way and listen to a lot of audiobooks. As a commuter it really really annoys me when I can hear other people's music through their free rubbish quality Apple bud earphones and although I had a slightly better in-ear phone I noticed that I was getting a lot of looks from other commuters particularly when listening to my books. Presumably because I had to have the volume up louder than music because you're listening to one voice. I also couldn't hear anything properly because of all the other commuter noise interferring.

These headphones reduced excess noise for me by about 50-60%. They're by no means perfect and the bar over the top could do with some foam padding, it is uncomfortable but if you've had them on for an hour and a quarter like me then take them off you really notice how much louder the 'outside' is.

The noise cancelling button: I'm not sure if it does or doesn't work. I have to turn it off when I'm outside, ie not underground, as it interfers with my phone (something to do with the signal, makes buzzing, static noises right in my ear - obviously) and I use my phone to listen to my books and music, so that's not ideal. But when you're not underground the noise doesn't seem to need as much cancelling so it seems ok.

I like them. I'd probably buy one with padding to the head bar bit next if I were to again (and 4 stars reflects this), however I did lots of looking around and research when I was purchasing these and they seemed, and still do, like the best quality for the price bracket.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the price, 23 Aug. 2010
Mogo (Manchester UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony MDRNC7B Noise Cancelling Headphones (Electronics)
My old Creative Noise reducing headphones packed up after many year's great service. These Sony one's replace them very well. For the price they are very effective, and do provide good sound and good noise canceling.

Yes you can pay more but I cannot be sure that you'd be very much better of than with these.

I ordered them with an aircraft adapter plug, as suggested by the clever amazon 'customers who purchased also bought these...' feature. Don't as one comes in the box already!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 6 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Sony MDRNC7B Noise Cancelling Headphones (Electronics)
I got this as a present (I wanted to buy it anyway) and I love it when I fly and play xbox.
The product is light and easy to pack and I also like the style. Not the most comfortable but hey ... at least I dont need a carrier bag to take it around like the more expensive models.
Two things I noticed.
1 - It doesn't like mobile phones. If a phone is close enough you can ear the interference when the noise reduction is turned on. No proble when off.
2 - If on a local train (no problem with Eurostars) with the windows opened the sound goes up and down if the noise reduction is on. I suppose this is due to the noise reduction and the pressure but I had to either close the windows or turn off the noise red.

4.0 out of 5 stars For the money an absolute bargain, 11 Nov. 2011
Mr. Daniel Delamare-lyon "Dd" (Suffolk, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony MDRNC7B Noise Cancelling Headphones (Electronics)
Wanted noise cancelling headphones for a long trans-atlantic flight as I'm fed up arriving part deaf due to the cheap airline headphones and the fact you have to have the volume on 11/10 to hear half the stuff on the entertainment system.

Wasn't sure how good the noise cancelling would be at this price point, but at least Sony publish the % cancellation (which is derived from the dB) - shame on you Bose - you don't!!

Was very impressed when used at home pre-flight, with nearly all background noise around the house vanishing, but the acid test would be on the plane with the wind-noise across the fueselage.

Happy to report the whooshing noise was taken down to barely annoying level, but the headphones performed perfectly, allowing me to hear all the dialogue clearly, high and low frequencies well and being a dream to wear for 10 hours each way.

Battery life is excellent (still going) after about 15 hours total use and they are very comfortable to wear, even to sleep in with the noise cancelling on.

Very impressed, would buy again, and managed to compare to Bose and Sony both in the ~£300 bracket. Sony was best, Bose was slightly better, but given I can buy 10 pairs of these for the price of one pair of Bose, these are perfectly acceptable and do the job very well indeed.