3.0 out of 5 stars a mixed bag, 10 Aug 2010
That the book has three authors is quite clear.

Some sections are worth reading, but fail to go into as much detail as I'd like. For example, once I'm told there are four different formats for "DSL extensions" I want to see the differences explained (and, preferably, justified), not just that I shouldn't worry my pretty little head about it.

On the other hand, some parts are so detailed as to become a waste of paper. A whole chapter devoted to how to install a version of Skype that was probably outdated before the ink was dry? Isn't that what the Skype website is for? Another chapter that's simply a printout of the contents list of the DSL repository, rather than just a URL?

That leaves only the deeply frustrating parts, like the one where I'm told that if it fails on my hardware I should try adding boot parameters, but with no definitive list of which parameters are recognised, nor what they actually do.

Two and a half stars - somewhere between "I don't like it" and "it's OK".

1.0 out of 5 stars Not so simple as they make out, 26 July 2008
S. Connell - See all my reviews
The Official Damn Small Linux Book: The Tiny Adaptable Linux That Runs on Anything (Negus Live Linux)

Runs on anything? Not if you want it to run from your hard disc it doesn't. I tried to install dsl from the CD on two systems, one a laptop which had an old NT disc on it and a desktop with a clean disc. Having got past the initial problem that neither screen would display anything beyond the introductory screen without modifying the boot instruction I proceeded. It was a little awkward that there was no UK keyboard option. I found in both cases that the instructions in the book did not agree with what happened on screen. I tried all sorts of variations but nothing would get linux to boot from my hard disc. There is no troubleshooting chapter so no explanation of error code 15 which kept appearing on my laptop or any of the other errors which appeared for no apparent reason. At least it made me appreciate Windows in its many forms. The occasional blue screen in NT I could live with.