5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant
I've read several quite negative reviews here about this product. I've used One For All kit before and was pretty impressed, so given that these other reviews were quite old, I decided to press on anyway. I'm glad that I did.

Published on 7 Jun 2011 by Mr. J. Wilkins

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Value And Poor Features
I have tried several universal remotes over the years and for the price this one must be the worse of the lot.

Most of these type of remotes now have a motion sensor (as early one-for-alls did) but with this one when you pick it up the touch screen remains off and requires a touch to to the screen to awake it.
This however is its most minor weakness...
Published on 4 Oct 2009 by IM35461

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Value And Poor Features, 4 Oct 2009
IM35461 "IM35461" (East Sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: One For All URC8603 Xsight Touch (Accessory)

This however is its most minor weakness.

The online software you have to use to edit device functions again is frankly pathetic.

It is not even possible to rename a touch screen button you have already defined, delete one or even change their order.

They did recently update their website software but again it is still very poor and the basic functions are missing.

I am also on my second one as the mute key fell off - I found it on living room carpet with small bit of white plastic.

Yes, I still use the remote and after paying this price one has to.

But alas I still have on my sofa by BD Player retore, TV remote, DVD player remote, Humax HDR remote and Sky+ remote.

I just mainly use the URC8603 to control my AV amp.

UPDATE:
The new online software now lets you edit the name of a touch key button and change their order.

If you need an extra function it seems best to learn it with the remote, upload edit from the remote control online, shuffle order of keys as required and download to remote.

Other negatives.
Some buttons on remote are very small.
Website does not save your login name or password (even some banking websites store some detail of your login).
Website uses ActiveX and thus only seems to work with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6,7 and 8 in compatibility mode.

1.0 out of 5 stars High price but mediocre quality and some software issues, 23 Jun 2009
Paul W (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: One For All URC8603 Xsight Touch (Accessory)
With a TV, DVD player, Blu-ray player, Surround sound system and a HDD recorder I had a lot of home entertainment equipment and a big array of remotes!

So I've been looking for a universal remote for a while. This one was released a few months ago and looked good but no reviews and with a high price I was a bit reluctant to risk purchasing.

However suddenly five 5 star reviews appeared on the same day and I thought wow - this really is a great remote. Having received the item I wonder if they are all genuine reviews....

First impressions on opening the packet was it was a bit cheap and cheerful, well except its actually quite expensive. Products from companies like Sony sell at high prices but have a feel of high tech quality - so you don't feel so bad at your empty pockets! However this remote feels cheap and the buttons don't feel like they'll last for years. Its quality is lower than most of the free remotes you get with your TV/DVD/etc.

Anyway I was excited to try it out with my TV - and using just the remote it didnt take long to get it set up with my TV and DVD players. All three are fairly new and commonly found.

However my CD player, my Sony surround sound and my hifi amplifier were not recognised. To be fair the Sony is 6 years old and the amp is an unusual make. So I had to turn to the PC and use the software that comes with the remote. This is were my problems started....

The software is not software as such - you actually browse to a web site and everything is done from there. First problem was I use Firefox as my web browser. It turns out Firefox or indeed any web browser except Internet Explorer is not supported. So I switched to Internet Explorer - but this didnt work either. I discoverd that the website doesnt support Internet Explorer 8! However switching to Internet Explorer 8 but in backwards compatibility mode and with security lowered I got the software working. However it'd taken an hour to get to this point!

I was unable to ever get the amp working as I've lost its remote but thankfully I still have the remote for the Sony Surround sound and for the CD player and so was able to set the One For All in to learn mode and program it manually.

Overall once working the software is ok and fairly easy to use.

The "Activities" menu function looked useful. For example with my DVD player I need to switch on the TV, switch to AV mode and also switch on my surround sound. I then need to control volume via the surround sound, AV input via the TV and everything else to operate the DVD player - which the Activities option allowed me to do - in theory. I found in practice it seemed to forget some of the functions I programmed - such as the volume control to control the surround sound volume and not the TV volume. In the end I abandoned the Activities and just programmed new buttons for each individual piece of equipment. For example I re-programmed the DVD player volume controls to set the surround sound volume not TV volume. I would say this is the remotes greatest plus point - the ability to tell the remote to learn a new function just by specifying the key and then pointing the old remote at it.

One problem is while you can create new on screen keys there doesnt seem to be anyway of deleting them at a later date short of a full reset and losing everything.

The remote has crashed on me a couple of times when sitting in its cradle - it just freezes and I have had to remove the battery to reset it. Thankfully only date and time are lost and the remote functions are kept.

Overall the remote is very customisable but has a cheap feel and some of the smaller buttons are not easy to press. I have doubts about the remotes longegivity. Also a lot of the more useful functions require a PC and internet connection. If One-For-All stop internet support then the remote will be much less useful.

With a bit of time, knowhow and the original equipment remote control this remote can control pretty much any bit of equipment - even the more obscure functions. But it does take time if you have a lot of home entertainment equipment. I guess I spent a few hours getting things 100% right.

--- UPDATE ----

I've been using the product for quite a long time now. The crashing issue has got worse - despite me making no changes to the remote or upgrading it in anyway. I suspect this'll end up in the bin in the next few months. I buy a lot of gadgets - too many probably - and in the last 10 years this is the worst I've ever bought. 1 star is too generous.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, 7 Jun 2011
This review is from: One For All URC8603 Xsight Touch (Accessory)

Maybe there have been revisions to the software and hardware that everyone has previously complained about because I don't agree with any of the previous complaints.

The device is very simple to set up if you want simple functionality - you probably won't need a PC to configure the unit if you have fairly recent devices that you want to control. That said, if you do have some exotic kit, and I do, then you can set it up very easily using the software/website provided. I had no trouble finding codes for all of the equipment I wanted to set up. I cannot review the learning facility of the device because I have not had to teach it any remote control codes by the learning method - everything was either pre-stored in the device or loaded from the website. Very comprehensive library of device codes indeed.

The software is not awful - I found it pretty straightforward and slick to use. You can always improve these things and the facility to rearrange extended buttons for each device is somewhat non-intuitive, but you soon get the hang of it. I'm a software developer, and I would not say that the software is terrible or difficult to use.

The unit itself does not have poor build quality - I find it of good quality, good build and pleasing looks. THe keys have a pleasing click and they are not so recessed that you cannot use them.

In, short, forget the other negative reviews. This is good kit, works very well and is extremely powerful if you really want to push its facilities.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 3 Aug 2011
This review is from: One For All URC8603 Xsight Touch (Accessory)
This remote has been a Godsend. It's very easy to install through ones laptop or pc, select the device from a list on the web account or just select the device you want from the settings menu on the remote and hey presto, no more fumbling between remotes. It has a multitude of functions too... it learns from other devices when they are pointed at the bottom receiver, so that your most used functions, or useful ones are stored with the onscreen remote buttons... really a hell of a product. Would recommend to anyone.33

2.0 out of 5 stars Fine for simple set ups - poor for more advanced users, 9 Jan 2013
This review is from: One For All URC8603 Xsight Touch (Accessory)
I bought the Xsight Touch to replace my Harmony 555 which took a nasty tumble into a cup of tea, and sadly the Xsight does not measure up to a device four years older. Comparisons are inevitable.

Firstly, the remote has a horrible, plasticky feel to it. After just a couple of weeks, one of the panels around the touch screen is slightly coming away. The touchscreen is not very responsive, and you often find yourself pushing away at it getting it to 'wake up'.

Set up was frustrating and tedious. The Harmony software was a dream to use, walking you through step by step everything you needed to do, and using simple language. It also is stand alone software. OneForAll use a browser based software, which only seems to work in Internet Explorer (I removed IE from my computer years ago, so had to re-install it just for this. Rather annoying).

Setting up devices and activities was simple enough. Tweaking the activities was rather more complicated. I tried to set up a 'Good Night' activity to turn everything off, but it flatly refuses to turn my Sky box off. On the Harmony it has a simple "Help" button on the remote if something doesn't work, you quickly work through the options, and it remembers what worked. With the Xsight, I had to turn the computer on, navigate the software, work through several menus, trial and error on various options... almost an hour, and it still wouldn't turn off the Sky box unless I selected the device and turned it off from that.

For the price they are charging, this is a terrible device, with terrible software. If you have a very simple set up, maybe just a TV, Sky and a games console, this will do you fine. For more complicated set ups I would get a Harmony instead.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not very good at all, 31 Jan 2010
This review is from: One For All URC8603 Xsight Touch (Accessory)
Pretty poor all round really.

It feels cheap (but is actually rather expensive) and it doesn't seem to work too well either.

I won't control my Bose Lifestyle (or my PS3). I can forgive it the PS3 since that's a Bluetooth controller but the Touch confidentally announces that it has an RF mode (not just IR) but after an hour of fighting the awful, awful web-based config screen I reset it and put it back in the box. Even those devices that I did manage to control there was such limited functionality or stupidly complex series of screens and buttons before finding the right button (or being allowed to "teach" it the control in question) that I decided to stick with my huge collection of original manufacturers'remotes rather than this very disappointing, Fisher Price "my first remote" effort.

I didn't buy this from Amazon but I thought I'd warn others that might be considering it.

This is not a good product in my opinion, you'd be wise to avoid.

Note to Amazon - you really need to allow zero stars...

1.0 out of 5 stars Not clever enough for it's own good!, 5 Jun 2011
Amazon Customer (Cambridgeshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One For All URC8603 Xsight Touch (Accessory)
Having done quite a bit of research I decided that buying the Xsight was the product for us, sadly it was a disappointing decision. This was based partly on some good reviews elsewhere, one of which had updated an earlier review saying a lot of issues had been ironed out and the fact that is was a bit cheaper that some of it's competitors, we thought it was work a go.

We have the following equipment that we wanted it to operate:- Sony TV, VirginMedia's TiVo, an Onkyo Receiver, Sony Blu-Ray, Sony DVD Writer and a very old (but excellent) Marantz CD player so you can see why we were tempted by not having to use 6 remote controls.

Well, how much time I have I wasted trying to search for each device? Too much time! Annoyingly only one device was found with it's correct model number using the website device search - you've guessed it it was the 10+ yo Marantz. All the other equipment was searched for using the model number faithfully taken from the back of each piece of equipment (as per instructions) but still no exact matches were found. Even after trawling through - in some cases - 15 possible 'code' matches we eventually got a basic set up for each piece of equipment going (took a whole evening). It's not like we don't have some market leader brand products to search for either. Even when we got the 'Power Button' to work (as per the instructions) and one or two other buttons to work - which apparently indicates you have found the right Code for your device - we then find that most of the remote's buttons didn't operate simple functions. Simple functions such as Pause and Play!!! I ask you!!

On evening number two I tried to 'teach' it simple commands (such as PAUSE & PLAY) but even then, after the Xsight told me it has recognised the commands it had learnt it refused to carry some out (these are still basic operations you understand nothing tricky like a Macro, I dread to think how many evenings that would have taken), the assigned button simply didn't do anything. Not rocket science really is it.

However, possibly my biggest gripe has to be with the 'clunky' software that came with the Xsight which ONLY works with Internet Explorer and not with Chrome (which I use as my primary browser) or Firefox (which I use as a back-up) and doesn't work with a Mac at all (much to my husband's frustration as he doesn't use a PC). The software is ________S O________________S L O W_________. The Manual is less than helpful too and the remote isn't intuitive enough in my opinion to set up (I'm a gadget girl and I think I'm pretty savvy with technology but the Xsight had me cursing) plus when turned on for the first time it was showing all text in German.

On a positive it looks pretty in is shiny piano black (well that's what my husband thinks but he doesn't have to clean it every time it's used as it looks very unshiny after an evening of use)and it lights up so would work well in a dark room. However, it doesn't have an off switch so when you are polishing those annoying finger prints off it's shiny piano blackness it lights up like Blackpool Illuminations and if you are really lucky it will send a command to one of your pieces of equipment that you didn't want too.

So to sum it up, the Xsight does not EXCITE, after 2 evenings of my time that I'm never going to get back it has been packaged up and is being returned from whence it came. An over priced bit of kit which doesn't do what is says on the tin/box, and if you are a Mac user forget it buy a Logitech Harmony instead, we might yet do that:) For now it's back to remote control juggling for us!

1.0 out of 5 stars In theory great, but in practice, not so great., 23 May 2011
R. Hale (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One For All URC8603 Xsight Touch (Accessory)
I have a fairly complex AV set up consisting of TV, AV Amp, Blu Ray, Apple TV, CD Player and amp for that.
The idea of operating all this from one remote made sense, and I really wanted less clutter on the sofa arm.

The unit is nice looking and well enough made for a plastic remote, although the gloss finish does end up looking messy after you have touched it once.

Set it was tricky, you need to USE IE, not other browsers, not a real problem, but the software all runs through the browser, and as such it can be a bit laggy to respond.
Additionally, everytime I wanted to make a change to the remote, I had to log onto the webpage using e-mail address and password, which got a bit tedious, a simple, installed software would be better.

Setting up it first wants to add all the devices, and it did find all my devices.
However, I was not sure all the buttons worked as per my old remote, and also, I never actually got this far.

Once the devices are added, you then create activities.
Firstly "start", this turns on the main bits of equipment you need, and also, sets the inputs. You then creat a activity such as "Watch TV", which changes the TV input, the amp input, and you "should" be watching TV. However, if the TV starts in TV mode, and then you hit watch TV, the input cycles to analogue, and the only way back is to us the AV button, or go through the touch screen menu to the device, which is a bit laborious.
The next activiy would be "Good Night" i.e., switich everything off, brilliant!
However, if you have say, the TV and the AMP "ON" and the Blu Ray "OFF" then the TV and AMP are indeed switiched "OFF" but the Blu Ray is switiched on! I could not work a way round this.

This issues were impossible to fix, and the only way was do use the remote to do it all manually, and for this I may as well use the original remotes.

The final straw so to speak was the unit kept freezing, either it was illuminated and did not respond, or it would just not light up and do anything.
Removing the battery usuall fixed this, but re-set the clock, I had had enough.

A colleague has a Harmony One, so I think I'll go that route.

Nice unit, it just doesn't work like it should.

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 10 Nov 2011
D S Rowe (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One For All URC8603 Xsight Touch (Accessory)
I bought this product from Richer sounds after walking around every HiFI shop in Kingston, Surrey looking for the harmony 900 (no one stocked it).

I have moderated my initial review because in the main it does work.

Firstly apearance: It looks cheap. It is quite blocky - think old style volvo. Numerous buttons are unncessarily small, such as the guide and menu buttons, as well as the critical 'home', 'activities' and 'devices' buttons.

I was prepared to overlook all of this so long as it turned my devices on and off as requested - it didn't and it doesn't.

Software: The remote is programmed via an online software interface. It looks and feels outdated and is riddled with unnecessary clicks and steps. Once I had negociated the initial setup and unplugged and replugged the remote in 3 or 4 dozen times, I could operate my TV, blueray, AV reciever, projector screen and Virgin Media Box.
It will not control my Philips living Colour to any degree, it will not control my british gas energy IR sockets to any degree. I can make my TV, blueray, virgin media and AV remote control the british Gas sockets, but this expensive device just won't do it.

Activities: Very basic things do work. So with one button I can turn the TV on, turn the Virgin Box on and turn the AV on and to the right AV channel. However the 'power on' function associated with the virgin media box doesn't work, so I have to use power (that is power on/off) so that if I was to choose to play my xbox and then later press the 'watch tv' button, it now turns the Virgin Box off.

Average

4.0 out of 5 stars Now works with Virgin Tivo, 16 Aug 2011
Bort (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One For All URC8603 Xsight Touch (Accessory)
This remote now works with Virgin TiVo all buttons are on the list, so customising the buttons is no problem the database must have been updated,

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›