As a collector of books and films relating to Robin Hood I have got to say that this is absolutely one of my favourites. I first viewed this classic Disney film at the cinema as a child when it was first released in the UK and for me this film still holds the same charm after nearly sixty years. Richard Todd is up there in the top three Robin Hood players with Errol Flynn and Richard Greene, and the incomparable Peter Finch is suavely evil as the Sheriff of Nottingham and the all British supporting cast make for the right level of drama and humour in what is essentially a telling of the Robin Hood story suitable for the whole family.
I had been trying to upgrade my old VHS copy for some years but this excellent little film was not released on DVD until 2009 and then only as a region 1 NTSC version, if you have a multi-region player then the DVD is far superior quality to the original UK release VHS.
on 12 March 2015
Story of Robin Hood (1952 DVD) Region 1 .
1. Its Region 1 DVD of a British film , and stars one of our greatest British actors Richard Todd in an iconic movie.
2. Why is no Region 2 available ?
And now to the film itself . An old fashioned adventure film about Robin Hood a celebrated hero in our English heritage . All though the story has been romanticised its still a very good and entertaining movie. Well worth getting but not in England.
Luckily I have a multi region DVD player.
on 6 September 2009
GOT TO SAY THIS MOVIE WITH RICHARD TODD IS EXELLENT!TODD IS ROBIN HOOD! BUT DISNEY COULD HAVE MADE A BETTER TRANSFER TO DVD!SHAME THIS OLD CLASSIC SHOULD SUFFER BECAUSE OF THIS!!!
on 25 June 2014
I first saw this kld as a 10 year old in the 1950's and it stayed with me all my life as most of the Disney live action films did. I managed to get most of them but not this so was really excited with it
This one brings back memories of my childhood when the 'Disney' studio's brought legendary character's back to the
silver screen such as 'Rob Roy' (also portrayed by 'Richard Todd') and 'Davy Crockett'
Of course 'Robin Hood' is a fictional character from 'English-Folklore' who has been revived on-screen over and over
again, by names such as 'Sean Connery' and indeed son, 'Jason' along with 'Errol Flynn' back in the late 1930's and more
recently by 'Kevin Costner' and indeed 'Russell Crowe' (not bad for a fictional figure ?)
This one i remember seeing in the cinema as a kid, back then it was pretty exciting stuff with 'Joan Rice' as 'Maid Marion'
'James Robertson Justice' as 'Little John' 'James Hayter' as the loveable rogue 'Friar Tuck' and as the villain 'The Sheriff
of Nottingham' - 'Peter Finch'
Disney have always known how to put on a show and captured child-hood memories generation after generation, buying this
on DVD a few years back certainly brought a memory or two back to me.
The picture quality for this 1952 movie is acceptable, screen size 4.3.
on 11 December 2009
Fab film takes you back to my younger days,Also a great service from a good company.would by from them again.
on 10 October 2013
I give this 5 stars, because it's a film that will entertain the kids, I put it on to entertain 3 kids aged 5 -9 years old, it kept them quiet for 90 minutes, it's simply told, you don't have to strain your ears to catch the dialogue, unlike the Russell Crow remake
on 9 January 2014
First saw this film when I was a small boy at our local cinema, my granddad took me to see it.
The cinema isn't there now, the whole area is now an industrial estate. I don't even live in that area anymore and I saw a clip of the film on YouTube recently. I decided to look for the film on the internet and found this copy on AMAZON. My wife and I sat and watched it over Christmas and enjoyed it very much. That was the second time for me and the first time for my wife, the nostalgia trip was great. They don't make films like that anymore.
on 7 February 2015
I was a big fan of Richard Todd when I was younger so this film is an old favourite.
on 6 February 2015
Poor picture quality considering it is a Disney production.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse