5.0 out of 5 stars What a Fabulous DSLR 5/5. Best Bang for your $$$$
I've owned my Canon 1000D for about 3 weeks now and have given it a reasonable test drive. The one thing that strikes me most is the ease at which I can find my way around the camera instantly to find the correct settings (very intuitive). Everything is where it should be, and clearly well marked.

The Camera noise is non-exsistant at ISO 800 and ISO 1600,...
Published on 1 Jan 2011 by David Glasgow

3.0 out of 5 stars sluggish outside perfect conditions
Canon EOS 1000D is my second DSLR after the Nikon 90D. I purchased it after months of searching and reading reviews. I mostly used it with the EF-S 18-55mm (non IS) lens. It's a good entry level DSLR however, as I am an aspiring photographer, I quickly started to notice 2 very big downsides which I haven't come across in other reviews. I've now used the camera for about 6...
Published on 19 Mar 2011 by Annie

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Fabulous DSLR 5/5. Best Bang for your $$$$, 1 Jan 2011
David Glasgow "Wego" (Co.Tyrone, United Kingdom.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Canon EOS 1000D EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 (non IS) Lens Kit (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)

The Camera noise is non-exsistant at ISO 800 and ISO 1600, (outstanding). The EOS 1000D is very similar in shape and style to the 450D, it even shares the exact same "LIVE VIEW" technology, all the button's are the same, layout the same, just the 1000D sports a 10mp Sensor and the 450D a 12mp Sensor. I so far have only used the 18-55mm image stabilized kit lens, and am very satisfied with the results, the 1000D Kit lens construction and optics are far superior to the kit lens supplied with the Canon Eos 400D, I've read all the reviews before buying this camera, and most professional reviewers compliment the new Canon "Optical Image Stabilized" Kit lens that comes with the EOS 1000D camera. I have taken a variety of shots in many conditions and I must say I can't find any fault with the Kit lens; its very sharp and provides nice clean shots from 18mm through to 55mm.

(I have managed several indoor hand held shot's as low as a 1/8th of a second), it was no problem at all, the image came out razor sharp as you would expect from a Canon EOS DSLR with I.S technology. In very dim or very low light conditions you can adjust the film speed to ISO 1600, the results are truly superb, no noise or evidence of any grain whatsoever.

The Highlight of the Camera for me was Canon's very impressive software package, the highly sought after - "(DPP) DIGITAL PHOTO PROFESSIONAL", "RAW IMAGE TASK", "PHOTO STITCH", and "PICTURE STYLE EDITOR" + other Canon Utilities... to me this software is priceless (in my view), and is a lovely addition to the EOS 1000D Camera outfit.

If you have always wanted a Canon DSLR Camera but never had the Dosh, now is the perfect time, much better technology at a very affordable price.

At the current price you will find it very hard to beat. (anywhere.!)
Highly Recommended. 9/10

Please be so Kind to rate my review - Cheers! David.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon 1000D - Great camera!, 26 Feb 2010
Sarah Portlock (Prestatyn, N Wales) - See all my reviews
I treated myself to the Canon 1000D kit complete with the EF-S 18-55 kit lens for Christmas (my 'To Me, From Me' present) and I'm not disappointed. I wouldn't describe myself as a photography buff at all and prior to buying this camera used a neat little Canon Powershot compact. So why change? Having initially pooh poohed the idea of a Digital SLR as far too complicated and too much of a 'serious' camera for me, I was persuaded otherwise by someone who had the Canon 500D and having been persuaded that it was just as easy to use as my point and shoot with full auto settings (and it was when I tried it) I was won over by the difference in quality of the photos. I did some research via 'Which' and the Canon 1000D came out tops as a 'best buy' in terms of picture quality and ease of use. In fact most of the digital SLR's came out with top ratings for ease of use so don't be put off as I was by the fact that it looks a 'serious' camera. Picture quality is excellent, the kit lens supplied takes great shots and there is a full auto set-up which makes it as easy to use straight out of the box as your compact digital 'point and shoot' camera, but the possibilities are endless and I can guarantee you will end up taking some really professional shots. Another tip - buy the 'Dummies' guide specifically for this make/model by Julie Adair King - if shutter speed, exposure and ISO all sound FAR too technical this great book will help to make sense of it all in a very easy to follow, no-nonsense kind of way. Yes you can keep it on the 'auto' setting and take great pictures with it but as Julie says with this camera, that's like having a Porsche but never actually taking it on a road! Go for it, you'll be glad you did!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Starter Model, 7 Jan 2010
M. Wilson - See all my reviews
I recently purchased one of these after much deliberation and I am very happy that I did. I deliberated for a long time over whether or not to go for a Canon or a Nikon. Eventually I found a great package and went for one of these and I have not regretted it for one moment. As with any DSLR it can take some real duff shots whilst you are getting used to how it works but once you are used to it you can take some great images.

For a while I used it as a glorified compact but as I got used to it, I found myself using the P (programme) mode more and more. The AF mode can sometimes choose the wrong target but this is simple enough to change to force the AF zone. The AF can struggle on areas without much contrast but normally works very well.

I have a 16GB SD card in mine and this allows up to 4,000 images to be taken in fine mode. You can save the images in Raw or Raw + JPEG but this is not an option in full auto, the live view is also not available in full auto but I personally found it better to use the view finder than the screen when taking shots and so rarely ever use the live view option. The view finder is clear and provides all the relevant information on the shot such as shutter speed and aperture.

Battery life is good, in the few months I have had the camera, I have rarely had to charge it, if you really need more life packs are available which allow two batteries to be included thereby doubling the battery life.

As you would expect from Canon build quality feels solid and I have little reason to doubt this is actually the case.

The lens supplied in this kit is probably not Canon's greatest but image quality is still good. It should be noted that this lens is not USM or IS, though I am not sure image stabilisation is a must though on a 55mm lens as the lens is not that heavy as to cause much in the way of camera shake.

All in all this is a great camera to give you a step on to the DSLR ladder, you can then choose to buy new lenses to fit this, then buy a more advanced body and keep all your lenses rather than having to replace all of your kit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous camera for the keen amateur, 15 Aug 2009
Janie U (Kings Cliffe, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I used to have an old Canon SLR like this but never really got to experiment with it much as it took so long to get the results of what you had done (ie having the photos developed). When digital technology came into the mainstream I got one of the "point and click" cameras and it did the job for a few years.
I have now got this camera and it had changed my photography habits completely.
It is great fun using it. You can use the automated options which work perfectly well but as I am getting more confidence I have now started to use the manual adjustments and you see the results immediately.
The camera now comes out with me wherever I go - which I thought I would never do - and I'm getting some great shots.
Seems a bit expensive but worth every penny!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera, 6 Mar 2010
I bought my 1000D a few months ago, and I haven't looked back.

Canon's 18-55mm lens doesn't get the best reviews, and it is designed as a kit lens. But i haven't got much against it. There was discussion about having IS lenses and image blur. But I haven't had any situations where i've got blur and not known where it's come from. In low light or for bigger zoom lenses IS is worth looing into, but for an 18-55mm lens it's not essential.

The body is solid and well designed. It feels like a quality product that won't fall apart in a hurry. The in-built flash unit is powerful and is even better than the one on the 450D.

The interface and 'software' is very user friendly and you will quickly find your way around and be able to manipulate all the settings. Even though it is simple to use, there are a lot of advanced functions that you can develop into using probably years after starting out.

The battery pack lasts a good month on one charge even with frequent use (including with flash) and the charger is well designed and not bulky at all.

Alhough the camera is pretty solid, you'll want to buy a camera bag pretty soon after you get it. That way you're prepared for rain, snow, dust etc. and you can carry it around much more easily. After looking through Jessops' range and trying bags out for size etc. I went for the Lowepro Nova 160 AW All Weather Shoulder Bag for Digital SLR - Black (Lowepro Nova range) and I would highly recommend these bags to anyone. I went for the 170 size which fits the camera with a zoom lens attached, plus an extra lens, flash unit, dustcaps, charger & powercable with more room to spare. The rain cover is very well designed and feels safe. Definiely a great bag for any SLR.

When uploading the pictures onto a computer, I use a card reader which is more convenient than using USB cables. The pictures are great quality, and can be zoom-ed or cropped to an impressive scale. I am yet to experiment with .raw format, but the camera is capable of that too.

Bottom line; A great camera for a first DSLR, the 18-55mm lens works a dream. Compatible with most Canon lenses, so expect to grow with this camera. The interface is user-friendly and straightforward.

4.0 out of 5 stars My first SLR, 15 Oct 2009
Mr. M. Steel (UK) - See all my reviews
I was looking to buy a camera so i thought it was worth spending a little more to make a good investment. This camera is simple to use, has some great features. The start up time is very quick and takes some excellent photos. I am going on holiday soon so hopefully the investment will pay off and ill get some excellent photos. The camera is fairly basic (by SLR standards) but its very user friendly, the book provides some helpful hints and tips for getting the most out of it. A good price for a good camera, an good first SLR camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon D1000, 4 Mar 2010
Mr. P. E. Sleet "Flipflophatter" (Luton, England) - See all my reviews
This is quite simply a brilliant camera. As a novice, picking up a DSLR can be daunting at first, however it is like anything, the more you use it the easier it gets. The camera is lightweight and sturdy and feels like a proper camera. The pre-programmed functions are great and are simple to use with very good results. The manual and RAW settings really bring this camera to life and you can create some very good pictures indeed. If you are thinking about moving up from a compact digital, then this is a great first purchase...master this and the world is your oyster

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera, 24 Jun 2010
RozziD "Rose" (Lincoln, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I have just upgraded to my first digital SLR and after a lot of hunting around, decided on this one. My initial impressions are very positive. I love the fact that I can change the lens and that there are many available to choose from. Another positive is, although I am only starting out with the camera, its ability to shoot in RAW - a feature I plan to fully explore as my confidence and skill grows.

It is very light-weight and easy to handle, and in fully programable mode is just as easy to use as my old point and shoot but with much better results.

It has a 10.1 megapixel sensor, can shoot up to 3 frames per second - which is great for action shots, and has seven points of focus which has been great to get focussed on to non-central subjects. I also love the fact that it has a self sensor cleaning feature every time the camera is switched off.

For the money it costs, this - in my opinion - is great camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 14 Dec 2009
L. Johnson "Lisa J" (UK) - See all my reviews
First decent camera ever bought, bought it for my photography course in college, love it to bits. Cheapest one ive found lately. Takes some fantastic pictures and cant wait to go to Scotland for New Year, going to be snap snap snapping! Need to get to grips with the ISO's and Appertures etc but im sure i will get use to that. Really light and easy to hold. Easy to assemble and the settings arent complicated.
For a first camera i would defo recommend this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars First class, 5 May 2010
Mr. R. J. Finch "Bob" (UK) - See all my reviews
This camera does what I want, when I want and with the lenses I already have from a previous non-digital Canon camera. The lens provided is ok, I do not want to do 'continuous shooting' so the lack of so called 'lens stabalisation' is not s problem.