5.0 out of 5 stars A real intelligent, sober artist, 1 Oct 2009
Juan Merello-Galasso "Sachs" (Santiago, Santiago Chile) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sonatas & Etudes (Audio CD)
I am an old Liszt's Sonata collector. I am from Arrau's homeland. In few words I feel this Wang's CD is a sort of miracolous jewell. I enjoy Mme. Argerich's or Pogorelich's performances very much, as 1932's Horowitz, Pollini's and Zimerman's, between the ocean of acceptable performances, but this one seems to be an aproach in the way of Cohen, but by a most young and nice woman. The other pieces are also very originally played. She has a special touch as Arrau's but very different in its morphology. Nobody, even those who are still doubting arround enjoying Liszt, could remain without buying this work of real art.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just technical brilliance, 1 April 2010
This review is from: Sonatas & Etudes (Audio CD)
I have just finished listening to my copy of this CD which arrived today.
I had seen and heard Miss Wang playing the Prokofiev 3rd concerto and was spellbound.
This CD does not disappoint. There are countless versions on the Liszt sonata available; some with technical brilliance but no real insight into the actual music.
This recording is astonishing for someone so young.
The technical difficulties (of which there are many) are mastered with apparent ease, leaving the artist to concentrate on the actual music.
There are many who criticize the increasing number of Chinese pianists as having great technical accomplishment but lacking 'depth' of interpretation.
This player certainly does not fit that description.
The other pieces are also played with great conviction.
Warmly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very fine recital, 4 Aug 2010
Dogbertd (Brussels, BE) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sonatas & Etudes (Audio CD)
This is a very fine recital by Yuja Wang. The Chopin sonata is an interesting and well-thought out interpretation - I liked the way the tempi and dynamics were subtly different in the repeats. She can't resist a huge and unwritten crescendo in the finale, which I could have done without, but all told, a fine reading from such a young pianist. I look forward to hearing this interpretation mature over the years.

The Ligeti etudes are simply fantastic, glittering and jazzy. It seems if this is very much the type of music the pianist loves. Similarly the Scriabin is a delicious slice of romanticism. I can't really comment on the Liszt, since it still sounds like a whole lot of notes to me, without form or sense, but it certainly sounds like the notes are all present and correct!

I'm glad that Yuja Wang is issuing recitals of varied works rather than the all-too-common traversals focussed on one composer's works (eg. all the Chopin etudes, all the Ligeti etudes, etc). I'd really like to hear her perform some of the Liszt Hungarian Rhapsodies next time....A truly interesting artist.

Sonatas & Etudes
Sonatas & Etudes by Yuja Wang (Audio CD - 2009)