Format: DVD|Change

on 3 October 2009
For anybody who loves Michael Wadleighs Woodstock boxset and wants even more film document of this mecca, then this is it. D.A.Pennebaker (Monterey Pop Festival) and Chris Hegedus do a great job at filming this documentary of 3 days of peace and music and presented in order as it happened. There are a few quick shots and longer clips of festival goers that were seen in the Wadleigh Woodstock but it blends in well to this 3 hour film. I highly recommend this documentary from this historical event of 1969.
on 15 September 2009
As a self admitted Woodstock freak, had heard about this movie for years. Filled in many of the gaps and found it very informative. It shows off the event and the times extremely well and I would highly reccommend.
WARNING:
This release called "Woodstock Diary 1969" is not new but the old "Woodstock Diaries" that were released in 1994!!!!
So for all of you who have the Original DVD don't buy this...
All you get is a new cover and a new name. The DVD is exactly the same!But you pay double the price, what a rip off!
Oh yes there is one difference,they did put subtitles on this release: French, Dutch and German only! Since I am German I checked out the subtitles and they turned out to be the poorest ones I've ever came across! In Arlo Guthrie's Stage anouncements "Far out" is translated to "Madness" and "Freaks" into "Half witts". But the peak is to translate "Walking down the line" into "Marching in a Military Order"!!!

If you haven't got the original "Woodstock Diaries" I sugest you get them because they do have a lot of previously(before 1994) unreleased Performances on them and lots of information. But stay away from this Re-release that only cost more money!
44 comments|22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 August 2009
I can remember sitting in my local Odeon cinema some 40 years ago watching the Woodstock film on the big screen. I fell in love with Crosby, Stills & Nash, screamed with The Who and stared with disbelief as Jimi Hendrix's fingers flew over the fret board of his guitar. I rushed out to buy this DVD and for me, it's a complete "wow" from beginning to end.

180 wonderful minutes of reminiscinces and concert footage with the benefit of all the main players behind Woodstock telling the story as it really was and how it nearly never happened.

The four page booklet inside the DVD gives great insights to the behind-the-scenes and the music is strong, plentiful and rocking!

Without a doubt, this DVD is the jewel in my DVD collection. It almost makes you feel that you were there.
on 5 August 2009
Woodstock Diary 1969 is a terrific all-in-one Woodstock concert compilation covering all three days; a documentary about how Woodstock came to be and as well as a documentary on what really went on at Woodstock. In the days when I had the Woodstock vhs tapes and dvd started to appear, I wondered how well they would preserve and create a dvd off of those tapes. The video quality is outstanding! My favorite video part that illustrates this is when Jimi Hendrix plays the Star Spangled Banner and the camera zooms in for a close up of Hendrix's hand playing guitar. The resolution, color and picture bring you as close to that magical moment as you'll ever be.

And then there's the setlist! Richie Havens opens with I Can't Make It Anymore and Freedom. The first day is mostly acoustic music - Country Joe's classic moment, John Sebastian plays Rainbow All Over Your Blues, Tim Hardin sings the classic If I Were A Carpenter. Arlo Guthrie's humor reveals how surprised the performers were to see so many people at Woodstock.

My favorites of the second day include Santana's Soul Sacrifice, Sly & The Family Stone performing Love City (because they brought funk to Woodstock!), The Who performing My Generation (a song that says it all, then and now) and Jefferson Airplane's morning show with 60's classics Somebody To Love and White Rabbit.

I really appreciated the songs they chose here. We've all seen Joe Cocker perform With A Little Help From My Friends (and The Who performing See Me, Feel Me). Woodstock Diary 1969 has Cocker singing another appropriate Woodstock song - Let's Get Stoned. Crosby, Stills & Nash play Blackbird and then comes the finale - Sha Na Na (what a trip to think of them!) performs Duke of Earl and Jimi Hendrix does his magic on The Star Spangled Banner, Woodstock Improvisation and Villanova Junction.

Woodstock Diary 1969 is a very worthy upgrade from your old vhs tapes!
on 17 October 2009
i bought this for my 19 year old son who obviously missed out on the gig itself but who loves the music from that era.he says there is no other dvd to get for lovers of music u missed out on for so many years
on 6 December 2015
It's the original but I think slightly edited for DVD.