5.0 out of 5 stars A humorous look at a vampire/human relationship
Roman Draganesti is a vampire with a problem - he has bitten off more than he can chew and has lost a fang. Shanna is a dentist with a problem - after witnessing a shooting she's become afraid of blood and now she has some people trying to kill her. Roman needs his tooth fixed, Shanna needs her life fixed.

This book is a lot of fun as Roman and Shanna discover...
Published on 3 Sep 2006 by Helen Hancox

3.0 out of 5 stars An OK read if you enjoy the Genre
Not as funny as Rachel Morgan, not as easy to like as Sookie Stackhouse, but definately more intriguing than Bella Swan.

Published on 19 Jun 2011 by Kristin

5.0 out of 5 stars A humorous look at a vampire/human relationship, 3 Sep 2006
Helen Hancox "Auntie Helen" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

This book is a lot of fun as Roman and Shanna discover each other and get involved. Shanna seems rather dense not to realise he's a vampire and his household of Scottish bodyguards and their inept attempts to cover up Roman's (and their) deep dark secret. When Shanna finally discovers the truth, along with Roman's harem of 10 women, it takes some getting used to. The former monk is an expert in vampire mind sex and also a colossally rich inventor of such things as artificial blood (so that vampires no longer need to bite humans) and is working on a potion to enable vampires to stay up during the daytime. Shanna's life is down the toilet and she somehow seems to fit in rather well to Roman's bizarre household and takes a lot in her stride.

This is not a deep book in any way, but it takes a fun look at the problems and opportunities in a relationship between a vampire and a human. Roman is stuck in a mediaeval monk's mindset about many things and Shanna works to help him to understand that he isn't the evil demon he believes himself to be.

The baddies, led by a Russian vampire, get their comeuppance and hero and heroine come to terms with their differences, but there are pitfalls ahead (Shanna's family) which may link to another book Sparks has written that I believe has the same cast of characters to this one. Overall, though, it was really good fun and enjoyable and I recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars It IS a Five Star Read!, 5 July 2006
K. Montgomery (Columbus, GA) - See all my reviews
Wow, and I do mean WOW!! Tired rehashed plot? Nope, not here. Fresh and original? Absolutely. First off, it's a comedy vamp romance, and yes, there are plenty of those to be had these days, but again, the humor and situations leading to it are fun and a totally new experience in Spark's version. Let's face it, fellow authors and readers, with the vast majority of romance talent out there, there's more than enough room in the vamp subgenre to welcome this new series into the ever growing vamp fold.

Roman Dragonesti is a vamp on the run--for a dentist! Through a freak accident, and a little snafu of misplaced fang action, he's lost one of his sharp eating utensils. He must find a dentist he can coerce into fixing his problem, or forever bo faced with the stigma of single fanged eating for eternity. Shanna Whelan is on the run too, from hired thugs threatening to snuff her life because of murders she witnessed. Due to the murders, her tenuous career as a dentist is rockier than ever, for she cannot abide the sight of blood. When Roman rescues her from an assassination attempt, she suddenly has a gorgeous new savior--one she finds out all too soon is not quite as perfect as she hoped. With problems no girl should have to face in a relationship, will Shanna overcome her fear of blood and learn to see there's more to life than a "normal" existence? Roman certainly hopes so. Shanna has brought smiles and warmth into a life he thought long dead. He means to have her for his own and he's willing to make some sacrifices.

Okay, so this isn't some supercharged, superhero-driven vamp rollarcoaster ride in tight black leather and spandex. Too that, I say good! What we have here are some awesome characters from Scottish vampire security guards (complete with kilts) to a plethora of amusing vamp "harem" girls ready to get hot and heavy with the hero and heroine. Shanna is a super heroine, torn by her determination to live, despite being marked for death and attracted like nobody's business to Roman. Her reactions to his vamp culture are hilarious and fun to read. Roman is a tortured hero, but what vamp that survives hundreds of years and many gruesome atrocities wouldn't be? He is honorable, good and a true leader to his fellow vampires, one that cares. Sparks has done a superb job of creating yet another vampire world where her particular breed of vamps thrive with vitality, wit and stellar development. There were many characters, but she does a great job of keeping the focus on Shanna and Roman. Good clean writing carries the reader swiftly through the action and romance. Five very enthusiastic and well-deserved stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun with sexy Vamps, 29 May 2006
Helly77 (Burnley, UK) - See all my reviews
I have to admit that being a huge fan of shows like "Buffy" and "Angel", I have an increasingly large soft spot for vampire stories with heart rather than simply gore. So I decided to give this a go. I wan't disappointed. Whilst I could not describe this book as a literary masterpiece, as they say, it does exactly what it says on the tin!

The title tells you exactly where the story is going, but it is the getting there that counts! What more could a girl ask for in a book?? Russian Mafia, handsome rich vampires, security guards in kilts, a dentist who is afraid of blood, specialist vampire television and a possible vampire war!!

Full of action, some blood (mostly synthetic) and lots of massive laughs thanks to the female lead Shanna, this was a really enjoyable and unputdownable book, with a wide range of believable and likeable characters. Highly recommended to all those with a warm heart!!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's always nighttime somewhere!, 23 Feb 2011
S. Horrigan "Shaun" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
The first thing I have to say is that vampire books are not usually my sort of thing. The second thing I have to say is that this book is brilliant!

From the opening scenes where Roman Draganesti (a genius vampire scientist and inventor of artificial blood) has a fang fall out and goes in search of a 24 hour dentist, you can tell this this story doesn't take itself too seriously.

A 24 hour vampire TV channel - The Digital Vampire Network whose catch phrase is "It's always nighttime somewhere"
A CIA "Stake-Out Team" of vampire hunters.
An army of Scottish Highlander vampires all in kilts.
A French vampire fashion designer.
And Shanna, a very confused female dentist on the run from the Russian Mafia who finds herself falling in love with a vampire.

This book really was hugely enjoyable. The strong storyline, brilliant characters and a large helping of humour kept me turning the pages right to the end.

Presentation on the Kindle is absolutely first class. Formatting, chapter and paragraph breaks are perfect and there is an active table of contents. The book cover art is also included and looks really very good in black and white.

As I said, vampire books have never been my thing, humorous books don't often hit my funny-bone and I would usually run a mile from a romance novel, but this book succeeds on all counts!

Overall - 5 stars and highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars I Liked It ! So There..., 4 Feb 2006
Avid Reader (Middle England) - See all my reviews
I read the one and only previous review on this book and didn't buy it... then I changed my mind, hey we all like different things in life and I figured this could be one of those times.
What are you expecting with that title? It's not war and peace it's not a biography which is designed to be correct down to the last phrase it's a fictional Romance story about vampires no less... and a good one at that... I chuckled at many sections, and I wasn't worried about the main character's medical background I was busy enjoying a good story idea which was well laid out and well put together.
The characters are likeable and that is more important than whether or not a dentist, who was being hunted by the Russian Mafia (and therefore had quite a bit on her mind at the time) would notice that his broken tooth healed over night.

4.0 out of 5 stars not bad, 17 April 2009
This book is not bad. i have just started getting into the vampire romance scene. After reading The Twilight series which i loved i did't expect better, this book is not better its just different.
I loved the humour and it made me smile many times whilst reading it. The fact that a 500 year old vamp can lose his fang whilst biting a life like sex toy omg! on top of that he then goes looking for a dentist. That alone made me want to read it. Once i started reading i couldn't put it down and i then went looking for the next book in the series. There are a few sex scenes in there which are a little steamy but they dont take away the charm of this funny, not to heavy supernatural love story

4.0 out of 5 stars A good romp with vampires, 17 Feb 2013
An avid reader. - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I have to say, I was quite taken with this book and I will definitely read on into the series to see where it goes. I realise this is an old book and I have read more up to date vampire books in the last year, but saying that after getting over some of the cheesy bits the underlying story and character interaction is very enjoyable.

Roman and his coven are all 'for the greater good' versus Ivan's coven who are 'hardcore suck your mortal blood' vampires and then there's Shanna who gets caught up with the realisation that vampires do exist and finds herself being protected by Roman, which brings with it complications in the form of 'he's a vampire' and 'his harem of woman' that live in his house.

Nothing spectacular about their powers but then this is seven years old now and much more intricate worlds have been created by vampire authors since, but it's still an enjoyable read nonetheless and worth your time if you like vampire fiction.

3.0 out of 5 stars An OK read if you enjoy the Genre, 19 Jun 2011
Kristin "I read so I don't kill people!" (Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

I enjoyed the book as an audio book, and it is well read at a good pace. There is a nice amount of mystery, and a nice familial twist, so definately dont regret the time spent listening. However this will probably end up as a series I buy the next one of only when none of my favourite authors have released anything else recently.

If you like the genre, go for it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Explicit, 20 April 2011
I bought this book expecting exactly what everyone else has been saying- a fun, comic take on the vampire cult that seems to have gotten overly popular recently. The book looked like good fun, and hey, it was free for my kindle, so I bought it.

I've gotta tell you, though, I'm only 15. The storyline is great, but out of the blue, there are some REALLY graphic sex scenes. They're not quite obscene (bordering, but not quite), but they're definitely something I wouldn't want my little sister (who's 13) to read, or for my Mum to know I'm reading. Just saying, in case anyone out there's thinking of buying it for a teenage niece or granddaughter or something. That would be awkward.

Apart from the sex scenes that come on basically without warning, the storyline is good. It's funny, and some of the dialogue is hilarious, and the situations especially. It's cleverly put together, and perfectly paced. It would be a great book, it's just a shame about the explicit content.

2.0 out of 5 stars Biggest waste of my time, AWFUL!!!, 6 Jan 2011
Miss S. Tait "brown cow" (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I downloaded this to my Kindle as it seemed right up my street - being a big fan of the paranormal greats (Laurell K Hamilton, Mary Janice Davidson, Charlaine Harris), I was looking forward to a fresh view on the vampire genre, with a sprinkling of comedy situations and witty banter. What I got was the only book I started reading in 2010 where I had to urge myself to keep reading. Ordinarily, I will keep going with a book in the hopes that it redeems itself, but from start to finish this book was a huge waste of time.

The characters were flat and dull, the plot predictable, the dialogue banal.....

I have never written a bad review before as I generally keep negative thoughts to myself, however in this instance it was too bad not to speak up.