Format: Audio CD|Change

on 25 March 2009
There are only a handful of UK artists who can truly be described as unique and ground breaking but John Martyn is right there at the very top of the list. John had a very long career and wrote some wonderful songs, beginning in the 60's with basic folk and going in his own new direction after finding the joys of the echoplex. Some of his musicianship beggars belief and the only thing that is better than his album work, are his magnificent live performances. There are simply too many songs to cover in a single 'best of' but 'May You Never' makes a great attempt. It features many of his well known songs such as 'May You Never', 'Head and Heart' and 'Solid Air' and also other less well numbers that are as good and/or better including 'Sweet Little Mystery', 'Small Change' and 'Spencer The Rover'. My only slight crticism would be the inclusion of 'Somewhere Over The Rainbow'and 'Singinng In The Rain' which although wonderfully performed would be beeter replaced with some other originals from John's vast bacl catalogue. This is a truly great album from a truly great British artist who's sad passing is a great tragedy to the world of music. I cannot recommend this high enough though alternatively you could choose 'Sweet Little Mysteries - The Island Anthology' which has a lot more great songs on it.
on 14 March 2009
John Martyn is a truely wonderful and creative artist in the very best tradition of intelligent British folk-rock-blues music. Anyone sceptical of the depth of talent in the musical heritage in this country (which is very easy to be, in these days of X-Factors!) should check out 'Solid Air' - a true gentle masterpiece of an album and one of the greatest 100 albums of all time.
on 7 February 2013
Its so good that I have purchased four copies, three of which have been given to friends. The inclusion of a track from the One World issue is a distraction and the inclusion of Cool Tide would have given a more complete picture of Matyns music, One World should be listened to in its entirety as a themed suite.
on 2 February 2013
Happy memories for me as I first discovered John Martyn in 1976 and saw him in concert in Australia a coiuple of years later. A great "best of" album with tracks I know and do not know but all of them excellent.
on 22 August 2013
I am new to John Martyns music and am not in any way a muscian, having said that i can fully appreciate his inspirational guitar playing and the amazing way his songs flow in a unique fashion. This CD has moved me and made me eager to explore his other work. I am just a little disappointed it has taken me so long to discover him. That said i have known of the title track for many years and loved it, but it was the cover by Eric Clapton that i was familiar with. John Martyns music certainly does not get enough airplay, perhaps it is because he appears not to have compromised as far as conforming to mainstream music is concerned.
on 1 August 2010
i brought this for my husband and he loves it, plays it all the time.
on 29 May 2013
This CD is the very best of John Martyn. I am playing this constantly......a great album if you want to relax, chill and be thoughtful! :)
on 27 April 2013
I love this, and have blabbed about it to many.
Great voice and even though its an old cd I love it. Great, great and more great
on 5 April 2009
Trying to put the best of John Martyn onto 1 album is, at best, a foolhardy exercise. It cant be done.

Having said that, this is a terrible attempt. At least half the songs dont deserve to be there. I know John would be spinning in his grave , if he thought this was how he was being remembered!

If you want to own just one Martyn album, go for one of: One World, Grace and Danger or Solid Air. There are dozens of other worthy albums, also.

Avoid all "Best Of's", but this is the worst.
on 4 May 2009
Having looked at the tracks on this disc prior to purchase, I knew I'd got most of them already in various other guises - in some cases, several times. However, buying it felt like closing the book. My hero and the composer and performer of much of the soundtrack of the last 16 years of my life had died and so closed the story. For now, I would have to rely on memory and my now very extensive collection of his music. I bought 2 copies, one for me, one for my partner (the other half of the soundtrack) because almost all the tracks have resonance for us. However, the fact of the sleeve notes referring to John having died was the closure. This disc has huge significance for us - I suspect it will have for a lot of others but it is the end...
Will there be more? Almost certainly, record companies will always release more in their relentless search for the mighty dollar. Many of us will continue to buy but this one is, indeed, the end of the book for me.