5.0 out of 5 stars II times the awesome
There was a lot of hype concerning Assassins Creed 2. Along with some concerns; was it just more of the same? Would they fix up some of the problem areas? Could you actually swim?

I'm critical of games and movies. Very much so. So believe me when I say 'Get this, and don't look back.'
Assassins Creed was a good game with fun elements and some really great...
Published on 29 Nov. 2009 by Max Porteous

3.0 out of 5 stars son not sure
Son liked the game but found it hard in places
Published 9 months ago by tinaz

5.0 out of 5 stars II times the awesome, 29 Nov. 2009
Max Porteous - See all my reviews
This review is from: Assassin's Creed II XBOX 360 (Video Game)

Assassins Creed was a good game with fun elements and some really great moments, let down by a few flaws and some slightly grating missions.
Its offspring is not only two in number, but twice as good.

*GAMEPLAY*
--------

The most important part for one an all. And the answer from the get go is; Yes. It is far superior to gameplay in Assassins Creed 1. Gone are the rinse-repeat missions, leading up to the actual assasination. Gone are the clunkier elements of the combat system. Experience an evironment where anything and everything can be used to your advantage. Experience combat where its not a matter of if you will defeat your enemies, but in what manner you bring about their inevitable demises.

*Combat*

Combat, first, as that had a few major flaws. The hidden blade is now a proper weapon in its own right. You can attack with it and, glory be, you can BLOCK with it. Counter kills are every bit as lethal and one-shot-kill as they ever were, with less frustration.

Fists too recieve a major upgrade. You can, if your fancy takes you, punch opponents into the floor. Also, while unarmed and grabbing an opponent, you can now lay three hits on them out of a choise of headbutt, knee and punch.
The best part of the upgraded unarmed combat is the ability to disarm guards. This is especially useful on two of the new enemy classes; Brutes and Seekers. These nasties are armed with two handed weapons and spears, respectively, and can be rather lethal. Disarming them not only robs them of their attack power, but also lets you use the special moves that come with the weapons. Also, the counter-kills for those two weapons, though they lose you the weapon, are very, very satisfying.

*Enemies*

The enemies themselves are more varied as well. Gone are the days of Guard 1, Guard 2, Guard 3, Italy sports its own army of foes for you to cut through. The basic armed soldiers are still there, ranging from basic Militia, through to armed Man-At-Arms, to the armoured and painful Elite units. Then come the specialists, all of whom require some extra attention in a fight; Brutes, Seekers and Agiles. These chaps add a whole new dynamic to every fight, as the Brutes and Seekers each have different special moves, and the Agiles are more than capable of outpacing you in free-running.

Not only is the combat more dynamic, but the guards are smarter too. No more blending in with a group of monks, despite being heavily armed. No more sitting on a bench and the guards magically losing sight of you. The seekers use their spears to prod about in haystacks, and guards will check the people on benches. Later on, of course, you pick up some moves that swiftly (and permanantly) put an end to such nosey individuals.

*Blending*

On the subject of blending in, there is a new system involved, notoriety. A bar around the symbol net to your health fills up as you perform illegal or noteworthy actions. When that bar is full, you are now Notorious. Guards will start top take notice of you, and react immediately to any wayward behaviour. They also poke around in haystacks more. By tearing down wanted posters, bribing heralds, or simply killing off the officials who give the orders, you can lower your status back to Incognito.

Blending itself is much easier, and much more believable. Simply stand in the middle of a group of citizens, go with the flow, and you are just another person. Nice and easy.

*Missions*
The missions are all very well done. The beat-up and delivery type missions have now been made sub-missions that you can choose to pick up or leave be as you choose. The actual game quests are much slicker than the clunky feel of the original, and the progression is smooth and seamless.

*Economy*
Thats right, this time around you get pocket money. Money can be aquired in various ways, all of them fairly easy and self-explanatory. You can use money to buy medicine (which you carry with you and use when needed to restore health), new weapons, new armour which adds to your health bar, and other things. No need to be poor but awesome, right? Rich and awesome is a win/win situation.

*STORY*
-------

The story progresses well from the last game, and goes much deeper. Especially if you hunt down all the clues and extras. No more random flag collecting, the collections are all tied neatly into the story. There are only about three or four incident where we are brought back to the present day, rather than the past, and the modenr sequences are all well done and serve a purpose. If you're like me, and really liked the plot laid in AC1, then 2 should have you on the edge of your seat.

*GRAPHICS*
----------

AC1 was very nice graphically from the get go. 2 has probably improved, but its so slick and smooth that its hard to know where to start. Needless to say, the attention to detail is breathtaking. As someone who has been to Venice, standing in front of the Doges palace was one of those 'ohmigod' moments that make this game so darn good.

So, what are you waiting for? Click buy, already! If you like swash and buckle, sneaking and stabbing, awesome vistas or just pure epic, this game will treat you well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Assassin's Creed gets a Renaissance, 8 Jan. 2010
De Montfort (Woking, Surrey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Assassin's Creed II XBOX 360 (Video Game)
I bought an XBox 360 just so I could play this game, which appealed immediately to me when I saw the Lineage videos. My PC wouldn't have stood up to it, so you could say that I paid over £200 for the pleasure of paying it. It's totally worth it - this is the best game I have played in a long, long time. It helps that I love all things Italian and historical but I don't think it's necessary to be into that stuff to enjoy this.
The graphics are amazing, the storyline moves on fast and the combat mechanism is really effective and rewards practise. If you are a casual gamer, you can spend a month like I have done on this game doing all the side missions and honing your skills for a couple of hours a day. I like the fact that the game isn't too hard - from my point of view life is too short to be stumped on a particular bit of any game just because you can't execute a certain move in time or get from A to B before a door closes. There some challenging parts but nothing that's going to have you throwing the controller on the floor.
Ezio's character is explored in depth, there is a good variety of weapons (given it's the 16th century) and interplay with other characters. But the most impressive thing is the free-to-explore cities - particularly Florence and Venice, which are superbly rendered.
After starting this game, I went and bought AC1 with the intention of playing it through before continuing. I can understand the things about the first game that frustrated people - the inability to blend with general crowds, the silly journeys back to "base", the lack of economic element and the death if falling into water. Ubi has listened - this game cures all those niggles and gives a new credibility to this brand. I hope that sequences 12 and 13 are filled in by (preferably free) DCL and look forward to an AC3, as long as it is not set in World War Two.
Buy it - it's worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly, An Awesome Achievement, or TAAA for short, 12 Feb. 2010
B. Tamlyn "tamo49" (Essex UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Assassin's Creed II XBOX 360 (Video Game)
I have been reading through many of the reviews submitted over the last few days and I feel that all those people who gave this game a 5 start rating have truly hit the nail on its perfectly formed head. Assassins Creed II is a sublime piece of modern gaming which I found hard to stop playing. However I did have my reservations about this second outing after playing the first instalment.

Now don't get me wrong! Assassins Creed was amazing, the story was wonderful and full of twists and turns and the game play was truly visionary, but the novelty did start to wane a few hours in as many others before me have mentioned, it did become tedious doing similar missions. It lacked a certain something.

Having played AC2 (and not just a demo) it took my reservations and gave them an al mighty kick out the window. I have not been so engrossed in a game since Fallout 3. It's a pleasure to find such depth and clarity, that shows those of us playing it that this was looked after during production and carefully crafted to give the player a fantastic experience and wanting more. So where to start?

Firstly, a grumble. Not about the game but rather about the reviews 1 stars. We are all entitled to an opinion and we do not all have the same tastes. This game does not deserve 1 star, by a mile. What I feel was required was time and patience, to see what an awesome experience this is. Then draw your conclusions to produce a fair and honest review. Placing a single star on something to cause minor anger amongst honest reviewers is not acceptable.

AC2 blends perfectly with the events of the first game. The story of the Templar's is still as strong as ever, with many a twist and turn thrown in for good measure. I particularly enjoyed how many of the characters stories and mission would lead to a much bigger and more complex outing for Ezio. This could easily be made into a film, that's how highly I regard the script and we all know, it would be an amazing film to watch. (Then again video games to movies is shaky ground)

Graphically... it's ridiculous. It is mouth-watering. Rich colour, smooth texture, fluid motion of Ezio and the people in the town. The free running parts are where the most fun is to be had and a marked improvement over AC1. I did at times find I would jump to a ledge I was not aiming for or I could not climb and would get stuck. Frustrating you might say in games but it never dented my enjoyment, it just spurred me on to get to the top of the building or jump across the Canals of Venice.

There is certainly more do to in AC2 with the introduction of money. There are a variety of ways to collect and many ways to spend it. Be it from tinting your clothes another colour or purchasing art to hang on walls. It's alot of fun.

In the 21st Century. Video Games have the production costs of most major Hollywood blockbusters, and can even outperform them at the box office. Having a good musical score can highlight the edge of failure or success. Get it wrong, and it doesn't matter how amazing it looks, the atmosphere is dead. Get it right, you get something that makes you feel personally connected. AC2 won an award for its soundtrack. Beating CODMW2. It was a smart choice.

Why 4 stars for fun then? Well originally I was going to do 5, but that was far to eager as I was still playing the game in Florence and had yet to visit the other cities. I chose 4 stars for a few minor reasons. I did feel that monotony did creep in when looking for treasure and codex pages, especially in Venice, which is HUGE! and some mission are very similar. I was a little cheesed of when there was no achievement for collecting so many treasure chest though or upgrading to your full potential as Ezio.

Not to end on a negative...So I won't! AC2 is by far one of the greatest games of the last 10 years. It ranks in the Pantheon of The Superb, alongside Zelda - Ocarina of Time, GoldenEye, Bioshock and dare I say Toejam and Earl. Own this game, There is plenty of replay value with hunting the treasure, the extra events and the DLC. Part 1 of the DLC you can fly Leonardo's flying machine for fun! What's not to enjoy? Part 2 I believe might allow you to enter the sector on the other side of Florence. Let's hope, pray that Ubisoft make AC3 the ultimate adventure. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood is due out very soon so look forward to more flying jumps, escapes and incredible attack moves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastico!, 4 Jan. 2012
theone&only (Nottingham, Notts United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Assassin's Creed II XBOX 360 (Video Game)
Wow! I had no idea what this game was about - I got a copy as a Christmas gift and was blown away when I got to grips where it was all heading. By the time I tired of doing all the little challenges in the first city (about 7 hours later!) I was taken to another to start all over again, learning new skills and uncovering new stuff ALL the time, it was then I was finally hit with the enormity of this great game....and I was still on level 1!
It's deep, involved and certainly not for people with short attention spans, this has been aimed at the serious consoler. Of which I am not. The last console I owned was the N64 but this game is so involved I got up the other morning believing I WAS Ezio! Gameplay is fairly easy, I haven't had much problem staying alive and figuring out the puzzles but the racing sections still get my heart pumping!
There seems to be a bit of negativity review wise on here from people who are more experienced gamers than me, which is fair enough, they know more, but for a newbie like me this game is utterly fantastic. Buy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ignore the DRM moans, 19 Jan. 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Assassin's Creed II XBOX 360 (Video Game)
Having purchased this prior to the reading the reviews on Amazon, I think you can safely ignore the DRM issues now. I failed to connect my Xbox360 to the internet for the first two days of owning this and it works without a hitch. Even after connecting to Xbox Live I have not had a single issue.

In no particular order below are my observations of the game

1. A little easy at times, they could have made it harder as it is a bit easy to simply run in and slaughter all enemies and the target. Avoid doing this and deliberately utilise the blending system and distractions if you want to have a more enjoyable time with this game. It is much more fun to distract all guards and civvies by poisoning an elite (they go berserk) to get to your target then to simply run in sword swinging.
2. The modification system is good but is under used in this game, I believe it has been used to its near-full potential in brotherhood.
3. I have experienced no graphical issues in this game at all.
4. Combat is relatively fluid with few glitches to report on this end.
5. Locations are varied, detailed and pleasant to both look at and run over.
6. Story line is a little confusing on occasion and often you don't really care why you are after the target - this ruins the immersion for me a bit.
7. The targets of the missions are a weak, slow and don't ever seem to run away from you which is a shame - no frantic chases over the roof tops to catch and kill an agile target - however they are nasty characters so it is still satisfying when you get the kill in an imaginative way.

in summary: All in all, a fun game which carries on nicely from the first game and introduces some fun and fresh elements to mix it up a bit. Well worth playing if you liked the first game.

5.0 out of 5 stars PLAY THIS GAME!!!!!!, 18 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Assassin's Creed II XBOX 360 (Video Game)
I was a bit odd and stared off with the 2nd game, missing out the first(wikipedia!), but it dididn't matter. I immediatly became immeresed in the complex and colourful renaissance world, often at the expense of school work and sleep. Flying across rooftops and using stealth to take down targets provided a welcome change from the standard forms of combat found in video games. One of the best parts was becoming friends with Leonard da Vinci (my hero), who upgrades your weapons and lets you borrow his flying machine.
What really made the game was it's story line. As a young man Ezio watches helplessly as his family is betrayed and his father and brothers are murdered. Hell bent on revenge Ezio claws his way through the ranks of the secret organization responsible(the templars), leaving a bloody tail in his wake. Along the way he encounters those who will train him and ultimately show him that his life fighting the templars can do more than just avenge his family.
This is without a doubt the best video game out there (if you dissagre i'm guessing your the type of person who doesn't appreciate stealth). I'm currently waiting patiently for Assassin's Creed 3 to be released...NOT. I'm practically bouncing off the walls with excitement. When you play the game you'll uderstand.
P.S. I went back and played the first game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing short of amazing, 17 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Assassin's Creed II XBOX 360 (Video Game)
I played the first AC on a PC a long time ago and for a little bit. Found the concept intriguing and thought the game had potential, but got bored pretty quick. When Assassin's Creed II was released, I didn't own any consoles but decided to give AC: Bloodlines a shot on the PSP. Since the story was set somewhere between AC 1 and 2, it made me curious about the series. I bought an Xbox last year and got a copy of AC II with it, and the game hasn't left my Xbox ever since. Outstanding graphics, amazing and realistic game-play, with a not-so-cliche' and unique story. Since I have a busy life, I don't have more than a couple of hrs to play here and there every alternate weekday and the weekends. Despite that, I was able to finish a significant amount of the game because it's not ridiculously hard, which I think is another good thing about it. I'm sure it must have drawn criticism for not being hard but to be honest, it isn't practical for someone who has a life outside of video games to spend weeks and weeks on a single level. I'm a girl and although the game focuses on being a male (sexual innuendos with other women and being macho), I still thoroughly enjoyed it. Can't give it any less than 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything the original should of been, 29 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Assassin's Creed II XBOX 360 (Video Game)
As this is a review for the Xbox 360 title,I will not bother stating that most of the bad reviews for this are for the fact that when this game was originally released, you had to be connected to the internet to play, and I respect those who were annoyed by this. But now onto the actual review.

The game itself is everything the first should have been, less repetition and more variation in gameplay. You play as Ezio Auditore (a descendant of Altair), even though Ezio became very overused by the developers in later titles. No longer is there simply gameplay of the old Groundhog Day from the older title, assassinations are more unique and very different from each other, swimming is now possible (which is stated from a humourous in game joke if it being a glitch in the first game), money is introduced to purchase weapons and armour which creates a lot of variation in the game. The story is still as brilliant as ever and makes learning history very fun like the first, but with no real negatives. I would highly recommend this game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Waay better than the first, 24 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Assassin's Creed II XBOX 360 (Video Game)
This game is a lot better than the first one.
1. It's not repetitive any more.
2. Money system created.
3. Great assassins tombs which are a puzzle to get through.
4. Different armour although each armour is clearly better than next. Hopefully next time there will be different stats and no one amrour can max them (e.g. speed, health, resistance, etc).
5. Looting chests stealing from people.
6. Carrying dead bodies as distractions.
7. New items like the smoke bomb, pistol and poison for the assassins blade.
8. Dual assassins blade and fighting with them in combat.
9. More difficult to execute counter kills.
10. Disarm enemies weapons and use them against them.
11. Swimming.
12. Architecture on certain buildings is beautiful. however some other areas such as general buildings have less originality.
13. Side missions.
14. Stealing and using gondolas (in venice).
15. The truth and other cool pickup items that actually affect you in game (feathers and statuettes for villa value).
16. The villa.
17. Less health regeneration and more things like using doctors and medicine.
18. The new and improved notoriety system.
19. Guards are improved and there are now special types. (brutes, agiles and seekers)
20. You can't always just disappear from guards in a hay bail because they search around the ones next to them now.
21. New assassination techniques (when you unlock dual assassin blades from leonardo da vinci).
22. Unpredictable plot for revenge.
23. Capes.
24. Good auto saving (almost every time you escape guards, find assassins tombs, exit a shop or do many other things regardless of how simple they are sometimes).
25. New unlockable special moves with your weapons like throwing sand in peoples faces.
26. Throwing money on the floor as a distraction.
27. Hiring gangs to help you (thieves, courtesans, mercenaries, etc). They sitract guards or lure them or even fight for you.
28. New blending with the crowd and courtesans.

I think this game has so much to offer and that it is a vast improvement on the first one which was brilliant (other than the completely fixed linear gameplay).

Improvements that can be made:
1. Weapons/ armour that aren't fully maxed so you must chose a style of fighting (for example more speed on your weapon and a lighter armour that makes you move faster and makes it easier to do things like counter kills. It would be weaker though)

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best games ever., 17 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Assassin's Creed II XBOX 360 (Video Game)
One of my most favourite games of all time and to say it came free with xbox live gold games!

Probably the best storyline in gaming history you really feel for the character ezio. You want to make things right and get revenge never has a game felt so powerful to me before. I am partially Italian so been able to explore and climb buildings that are still there to this day made it even more than a game for me, It is actually quite educational in a strange way. I fort I was getting into the game and id got the jist of it but then more and more content comes for you to learn and objects to collect tombs to explore so there is hardly any repetitiveness. It doesn't rush you into the story you can just go off and explore. I never fought I would find a game I would enjoy so much anymore with all these new games trying to be for multiplayer and realistic. But this is a must buy even if you don't like any of the other assassins creed games.

10/10 Best game on 360 even 5 years after it was released.

Assassin's Creed II XBOX 360
Assassin's Creed II XBOX 360 by Ubisoft (Xbox 360)