on 11 November 2013
Written by an American pastor who is also a professor in the philosophy at the Oklahoma City University, I found this book a little academic for me, although I really enjoyed the exploration of how the Christian religion has evolved over time. Like many children in the UK I attended church and Sunday school as a child, but the Christian religion never made sense to me. It seemed hypocritical at best and unbelievable at worst. Although I am ignorant of the history of Christianity, everything Robin Meyers' says makes perfect sense. Stripping away the liturgy and focusing on what Jesus said and did during his lifetime offers a spiritual lifestyle that can make a difference to both people and planet. Making a covenant to believe a set of beliefs about a supernatural being (who will then let you into 'heaven') enables Christians continue to live quite happily within the status quo and do little to change it. It's quite remarkable how we are still conditioning our children to believe this personal salvation stuff. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who is interested in exploring the impact of bad theology on our society and recovering the real message of Jesus.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on 10 April 2014
I began reading this book through gritted teeth, and persevered because my pal wanted me too. My presuppositions about Creedal Trinitarianism are entirely opposite to Dr Meyers. His book is a tasty meal of old hat, rejected by the vast majority of thinking Christians, who gladly accept that God was in Christ reconciling the world. Meyers succeeds in making two plus two make five because he carves away from Scripture all that he doesn't like, and takes for granted that the foremost scholars are those he agrees with.

So we have a Jesus reduced to a prophet, not a Saviour. A good man whose disciples drew the wrong conclusions and stitched together inspiring books which need nowadays to be filleted so that in effect nothing of the divine remains.

That is not to deny that there are insights and arguments in this book for which I am grateful.

But there is no need to Rescue Jesus from the Church, and this book points down a dead end. As dead as the Jesus of Meyers' thought.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again