5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant little scope - 100% recommend.
Published on 18 April 2010 by E. Gray

3.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointed
While this scope is listed as a Travel Scope it is a pretty large bag !. Optically the performance is adequate as a 'Starter Scope'. The Tripod is a some what flimsy arrangement.The sighting scope on my sample was leaking grease which would be a magnet to any dust 'in the field'. The price of this scope appears very attractive. As a gift to your favourite nephew (or...
Published on 17 Jun. 2010 by DaveS

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant little scope - 100% recommend., 18 April 2010
This review is from: Celestron Travel Scope 70 Telescope (Electronics)
"The best telescope is the one you use the most" so they say. I have searched the internet, read hundreds of articles, read magazines, toyed with the idea of getting a 'proper' telescope (such as the Celestron Astromaster 114 reflector or the refractor 70AZ) but had a moment of clarity: apart from the first few weeks, when am I REALLY likely to go to the effort of setting up a big scope? I mean they're really big and unless you keep it by the back door it means lugging it down stairs, plonking it in the yard and wrestling with the various knobs and bits to, finally, get a view of the moon or a nebula. Sure, they'll look good but to be honest, like my rice-cooker or the sandwich toaster it'll sit there gathering dust and eventually end up broken or in the loft...
Now, I thought of binoculars but, I have some of those and they're 10x mag. They're fine if you like to see streaks of light as the stars zip about your vision like fireworks. Get a tripod? Well, for the money, big (I say big when actually the biggest are only 15x) binos are not all that great and like someone on already said Amazon saide you'll need to be Data from Star Trek if you plan on holding them - forget it. No really, forget it - bins are a big disappointment for the stars. Only German soldiers in my WW2 picture books and bird watchers have them.
The Celestron travel scope is like one half of a MASSIVE pair of binos. From 20 to 40x mag they walk all over binos in terms of brightness and magnification.
I have packed it in its little bag (very useful believe me) and carry it up the Malvern Hills. Try doing that with a reflector.. In the perfect 360 view up their I've seen the heavens explode into life. I can get it outside, set up and marvelling at the moon or a nebula in 2 mins. Gaze and Go. Every night I have a quick scan at the heavens then get back to putting bath sealant around taps or whatever grown-ups do at night. Great.
Build quality is absolutely great. Sure, you have to be delicate with the controls and not heavy-handed but it's a telescope - what did you expect? If you're too rough to handle it then take up judo instead. I am careful with my lovely little scope and it opens up the skys for me and my little daughter every clear night. I can't believe how brilliant it is. My daughter saw a hot air balloon in the sky today - so small it was barely visible. In 45seconds we'd found it on the Travelscope and could count the occupants in the basket and watch the flames light up the red envelope - completely perfect.
Maybe you could get a better stargazer... maybe you could get a better bird watcher... but could you get a lovely little instrument that could do both for 70 quid? (2 million US dollars)if I drop it and smash it I'll be sad but get onto Amazon and get another. It should be 160 quid (85 million dollars).. but don't let Celestron know they've mis-priced it!
Want a cheap but perfectly useable scope for looking at the moon and birds and ships at sea? Want to use it every day? Are you not a Wall Street banker? Get this little beauty. If you really get hooked with astronomy then in a year get a reflector. You'll still only use the travel scope mind you!
Hope my review gets you looking up and going "Wow!" as our beautiful skys are wont to do...

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little scope, 16 April 2010
F. Conway (Dublin) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Celestron Travel Scope 70 Telescope (Electronics)
Not for the serious stargazer, but a quality little scope nonetheless. It comes packaged in a rucksack, which makes it very portable and ideal for carrying on hikes or on camping trips. Its size and magnification also mean that it is useful for viewing wildlife ect. As a lightweight, portable and inexpensive product I cannot praise it enough. Would also make a good starter scope for a child.

5.0 out of 5 stars Value for money, 26 Jan. 2012
D. H. Holland "Daniel" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Celestron Travel Scope 70 Telescope (Electronics)
When reviewing this 'scope you have to bear in mind what you are paying for it. At £53 you aren't going to get a Meade but you do get a servciceable 70mm compact refractor, a tripod, eyepieces,barlow lens, software and a back pack to keep it all in. Back in my youth I had a "proper" 3" astronomical refractor and I think this scope is comparable to it in terms of magnification, focus, image sharpness etc. The main problem you'll have with this scope is that its on a camera tripod (a rather flimsy one at that but more on that later) and its a fairly jerky transport system if you're used to an equitorial mount or even an altazimuth. That said I managed to lock on to Jupiter (not seen its moons for 30 years till tonight), Betelgeuse and a binary star (no moon tonight).
The tripod supplied is a bit rickety and on full extension and the bottom legs extension are quite thin and bendy but you can't expect miracles - I'd rather have a reasonable scope and a rubbish tripod as that's easily remedied - you can get a sturdier tripod fairly cheaply (although it might not fit in the pack).
The kit had expanded from that described on Celestron's website to include a X3 Barlow Lens and a 4mm eyepiece (X100) in addition to the 20mm (X20) and 10mm (X40) giving you magnification options of between x20 and x300 (although I wouldn't push it that far - it would be impossible to hold the image).
You might move on to bigger and better things but that's the beauty of this scope - it will always have a use because it packs away so small - great to take camping, on walks, on holiday etc (you're not going to lug around an 8" reflector!).
For the money you get a decent scope and lots of extras. If you look for the "firstscope accessory kit" you can pick up a moon filter, 6 and 12mm eyepieces (for more magnification options) and a spare spotting scope for about a tenner (only a few quid more than getting a moon filter on its own).

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my needs, so far, 8 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Celestron Travel Scope 70 Telescope (Electronics)
I just bought this telescope a week ago, as a beginner in astronomy. I chose it after looking at very many different options, as it fitted my needs: A beginner's scope, easy to move with, and has adequate guides to help me navigate through the skies. So far, it has performed according to expectation.
As a beginner, who is not yet sure whether the fascination with the stars will grow, it is very well priced.
Delivery time was quite impressive, and the packaging and bag are really handy for the traveller. It is difficult to convince people you have a telescope in your little bag you carry around
The size of the telescope itself was amazing; much smaller than id even imagined. This was a strong plus for me
So far, the views of the skies it has been able to show me have really strengthened my fascination with astronomy. The moon looks quite amazing, and the planets seen so far are breathtaking.

I am sure i will be back in the market scouting for a stronger scope soon, to seek out the deeper heavens. But, this little bundle of joy has been a worthwhile investment for me, as im sure my fascination of the skies is here to stay. I would recommend it to the beginner, who would like to move abit with their telescope.

4.0 out of 5 stars Celestron Travel Scope 70 review, 4 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Celestron Travel Scope 70 Telescope (Electronics)
A decent telescope for cheap low-resolution astronomy. As an example you can see details on the Moon well, and the four larger moons orbiting Jupiter appear as clear pinpricks of light, and that's from London. The tripod with it is flimsy but I didn't expect any more to fit in a bag. Initially I didn't bother with the spotter scope included although it helped the kids a bit because the angled eyepiece doesn't help to direct the main telescope. You can also use it for birdwatching at some distance but for this the angled eyepiece is irritating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stars made easy, 11 Jan. 2011
Celestron 21035 Travel Scope 70 Telescope

I bought Travel Scope 70 for my wife for Christmas. Of all the presents I have got her over the last 38 years the response from this was the best. She has gone from watching TV to watching the night skies. I must admit I am enjoying the night skies too.The Celestron 21035 Travel Scope 70 Telescope is compact easy to use and we will be going holiday with this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars very very good, 22 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Celestron Travel Scope 70 Telescope (Electronics)
it is exactly what the name says: travelscope.

pros:
+ good quality. most of the parts are made out of metal (you expect that from a celestron)
+ light and tough. just take the bag and go.
+ very very cheap. probably the best price/quality ratio (it was 44)
+ i liked the fact that it comes with the backpack, which by the way, it's not of an amazing quality but is functional
+ all parts come in protective holders or bags which i very important for optical devices
+ the tripod is ok but not amazingly stable

cons:
-for this price, i couldn't find any.

very good for a beginner and even for one that knows what he's doing but wouldn't want to risk taking an expensive telescope on a trip through the mountains.
what you can see with it? well, quite enough to make an evening really special. the maximum magnification is 40x which is precisely what you need in 80% of the time.

UPDATE: I've been using this travelscope for some time now (about a year): no problems with it. I use it along with Stellarium to get the name of the constellations right. I took it with me while I was travelling this summer and it was great. It takes 2 minutes to set it up and the backpack is a good feature since is properly cushioned. A few examples of what I could manage to find: Andromeda galaxy, most of the planets, most of Jupiter's satellites, a few clusters. The best place to use it is as far from towns as possible.

UPDATE: (three years of use)
Still very impressed with this device. I am now considering getting a higher spect telescope (newtonian) to use it during the following summer for some deep space observation but I'm sure this telescope will still be mai favourite. No issues with it whatsoever, all parts are still going strong.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

4.0 out of 5 stars travelcope70, 13 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Celestron Travel Scope 70 Telescope (Electronics)
This is my first scope so I have no reference point other than some cheap 10x20's and a good pair of 8x42's.

Yes the tripod is not very substantial, the scope has a tendancy to wobble a bit on the mount and the bag needs extra padding to stop everything bashing around but the most annoying thing is that locking the pan handle (altitude motion) causes the scope to move so you loose what you were looking at - although i'm quickly getting used to this.

However, all that said, when considering the price and convenience, this is a fabby little scope.

Very easy to set up and use. Easily portable, reasonably rugged and delivering a lovely image.

In my first evenings observing I almost blinded myself looking at a waxing moon (wow, craters, mountains, stuff i've only seen in books and there it is for real!), saw a fantastic cluster of stars near Orion that weren't on my chart (I still have no idea what i was looking at!), caught a satellite completely by chance (cool!) and all of this from inside looking through a doubleglazed window above a hot radiator with one of the tripod legs balanced on the end of the mattress I was sitting on.

I subsequently read the manual and I've yet to check out the CDrom but I'm hooked and can't wait for more clear nights.

I'm very pleased with it (big stupid grin on face) - Definitely an Ace purchase (Birthday Present).

Oh - and the 4yr old loves it too. More than worth the price :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Celestron Travel scope, 3 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Celestron Travel Scope 70 Telescope (Electronics)
This telescope is ideal for me to take away in my motorhome and still be able to follow the night sky as I would at home on my larger telescope. The lense is crystal clear it is mobile and easy to erect, fantastic little telescope.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have telescope!, 25 Nov. 2011
My husband brought this telescope for my birthday a few weeks ago and I felt I had to come on here and tell you all how good it is. I have a keen interest in astronomy and particularly enjoy investing my spare time into reading and learning about it. Now with this telescope I can now see some of the things I have been reading about which is just brilliant. You can see clearly for many miles away and I can now see so many things I would never have spotted without it and the included altazimuth mount on the telescope allows you to locate the objects really quickly so you wont miss a thing.

The telescope is made so easy to carry with the included backpack. I walked 2 hours with this telescope on my back one evening and barely even noticed it there which I think is brilliant. It also is surprisingly very quick to set up with no need to invest loads of time flicking through set ups in the instruction manual. Also, the included tripod gives a sturdy base for the telescope, even on uneven ground which is really good as most places I walk tends to be bumpy.

I will definitely be using this telescope for years to come. It is the perfect accessory to compliant my part time hobbie and it does everything it says it does brilliantly. It has exceeded my expectations and has taken my hobbie to the next level. Anyone considering this telescope should definitely buy it. You wont be disappointed.

Celestron Travel Scope 70 Telescope