on 22 October 2007
I was 13 years old when i first heard this album and of Bruce Sprigsteen.
It made me an instant fan. The same day i bought the other "born" album - Born to Run. In less than a week i had the entire Bruce Springsteen collection in my hand. Altough great this album may be, for me it has that "discovering" quality that has made it one of my favorite albums of all time. If you want to start hearing Bruce Springsteen, star with this one. You won't be dispointed.
`Born in the USA' is one of those albums that has become a classic and epitomises the times it was written and released in. This lead to Bruces famous stadium tours that left him exhausted, but showcased his music to a wider audience. Although the title track has been overplayed and feels slightly cliched as a result, it still has great power when it starts and this album has so many great tracks that you are left in awe at the amount of talent on one CD. From excellent, more low key tracks such as `Cover Me' to `Darlington County' via full on rockers like `Glory Days' and `Bobby Jean' and touching on the more brooding and moving songs like `I'm on Fire' and `My Hometown', this albums has a selection of tracks to suit any mood or taste. All of this, coupled with the now iconic album cover and you will have in your hands a slice of music history that has rarely been surpassed. It has become a classic for a reason and is well worth a try.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.
on 8 January 2008
I'm sure someone, somewhere, has already coined the 'melancholia(y) you can dance to' phrase, but it perfectly describes this great album. Springsteen's BITUSA divides Brucefans simply because there are those who saw it as a sell-out, while others just saw it as a natural progression from what he'd produced before. I fall into the latter camp - his earlier classics like 'Sandy', Born to Run, 'Jungleland' and Badlands' had helped to raise Springsteen's stock, but BITUSA was so full of melodic hooks that it simply couldn't fail. Many heard the noise but hadn't listened to the words - Ronald Reagan for one - but beyond the familiar tunes were words as hard-bitten and melodramatic as anything he's produced before or since. The title track itself is a stone cold classic, while my favourites were the songs of regret and melodrama - 'Bobby Jean', Glory Days' and 'No Surrender'. Springsteen reportedly recorded 100s of songs for this album and what a double it could have been! Imagine 'None but the brave', 'Frankie', 'This hard land' and 'My love will not let you down' added to this platter! Anyway, not everyone is 45 and over, and there will be new listeners wondering what the fuss was all about; so for them, it's loud, it's noisy, it's melodic, it's tells great stories, it might make you cry, it's full of melancholy...and you can dance to it. Enjoy it.
on 10 July 2015
This review is for the remastering of only as everything has already been said of this truly great album.I have owned it for many years and know it inside out so I decided to buy it again following the reported "huge improvement" in quality when remastered.I consider myself an audiophile but I always tell it like it is and I have to say any improvement is minimal.I played the original straight after [my hi fi set up is pretty good] and although I don't regret paying my £25 for this vinyl it told me not to bother with replacing all my other Springsteen albums! There is a lot of "the emperors new suit" when it comes to hi fi/stereo/bluray etc but I always go by what I am hearing from the product not any hype.Brilliant album anyway so stick with the cheaper original
on 24 October 2000
in my opinion, born in the USA is one of the best albums ever! it has everything any rock or pop music fan could ever ask for. from its opening collection of thundering stadium rock tracks ('darlington county', 'working on the highway'and the title track 'born in the USA') further listening to them tells a much darker, meaningful story than the music suggests. included are the more softly spoken tracks such as 'I'm on fire' and 'my hometown' which are just as thought provoking and help to demonstrate bruce's vocal skills. this album launched bruce into a global megastar and its easy to see why. this is an essential purchase for any springsteen fan or any music fan in general!
on 10 March 2014
Forget the common misconceptions about this album.

I can't think of many songs that sound as fiercely, raggedly, righteously ANGRY as 'Born In The U.S.A'.
I can't think of many songs which portray smalltown helplessness as well as 'Dancing In The Dark'.
I can't think of a more perfect couplet of songs on an LP as 'Downbound Train' followed by 'I'm On Fire'.

That's all I wanted to say.
on 30 May 2013
This album is how I like to hear Bruce Springsteen sound, singing loud and proud and rocking.

The only Bruce Springsteen album I previously bough was his "Greatest Hits" compilation and although I liked pretty much liked this it's been a long time before considering buying any Bruce, because sometimes I found his voice a little on the mumbling side particularly on the less rocky tracks. But I did note that all my favourite Bruce tracks on the "Greatest Hits" came from this album, these being "Born In The USA", "Dancing In The Dark" and "Glory Days", so I thought OK let's give this album a go.

I'm glad I did, from the opening "Born In The USA" through to the 11th track "Dancing In The Dark" it's all great rock 'n' roll. The 12th track "My Hometown" closes the album with a good ballad performance that is sung well and is a nice wind down ending to a very fine album.

At some point I will now probably reconsider buying more Bruce after hearing this album, but I have the feeling that this one is going to be hard to top.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 November 2012
this is springsteens classic music moment, this was album no 6 he was already a star well before this album,born to run for example proves the point.
I remember 1884 when this album was released the MTV video had just started , and springsteen used this his advantage with some of born in the usa music.
the album starts with titile track , a blisstering attack on the vietnam war, only the track dancing in the dark is very pop
the best tracks for me are im on fire a real song of love and desire with lovely keyboards,
cover me is a pure rocker, the standout number for me is no surrender typical sprigsteen lyrics about growing up in the states.
darlington county is another typical song about america,the thing about springsteen for .me the best thing about this guy is that although he is a multi millionare he still sings like he cares about ordinary people and there daly struggles in life.
on 12 January 2009
Born in the USA is the most,at first glance uplifting and joyous album that he may have ever released,its when you look at the lyrics that you realise that despite the stadium rock sound and the over the top 80s feel to it,that this is a dark album disguised by poppy sounds and a rock n roll heart.
The album starts with the title track,a track we all know and is possibly guilty of being overplayed but is still a good track,and it sure is dark,citing a man sent to fight in vietnam with no understanding of why.'cover me' is the next track and is a real classy track,the next two tracks are a bit generic for my liking but thereafter lies great tracks,perhaps glory days is a bit average but songs like 'downbound train','im on fire','dancing in the dark' and the excellent 'im goin down' really showcase this albums strengths,not his best but contains some genuine quality.
on 10 May 2010
Bruce Springsteen was one of the big mainstream rock names in the 80's along with REO Speedwagon, Night Ranger, Rick Springfield and such. Yeah, sure, he was already a big name in the 70's but I didn't know anything about that. The first time I heard Bruce Springsteen's music was probably when I saw that fabulous video of "Dancing in the Dark" on TV. Some time after that, I got this record and I liked all songs except one and I used to listen to it a lot. One of the songs from this record used to be in my songs top 20 for more than a decade.

I have listened to some other stuff made by Bruce Springsteen, but this record remains the best as far as I am concerned.