5.0 out of 5 stars Great item, but be warned if you're using a PC monitor
If you're getting bad image quality, DO NOT blame this cable. HDMI is digital, the cable can't make a picture "fuzzy" or "blurred", it just doesn't happen, it will be your equipment.

Published on 12 Feb. 2011 by M. CHARMAN

3.0 out of 5 stars Display works, kind of
I am running multi display with a FirePro W7000, only 1 display seems to be working fully, the others have funny resolution, what I mean by funny is that the monitor does go up to 1080p but everything is fuzzy, might be something wrong with the cables, going to try other manufactures to sort out the problem
Published 19 months ago by Bill

5.0 out of 5 stars Great item, but be warned if you're using a PC monitor, 12 Feb. 2011
M. CHARMAN (Portsmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: AmazonBasics HDMI to DVI Adapter Cable 9.8 Feet / 3.0 m (Electronics)

The quality of this cable is fine. It's not very heavy duty, and so wouldn't hold a lot oweight or survive a lotof pulling, but then we're not buying tow-cables, right? It transfers my PC image to another device completely perfectly, and vice-versa.

Be warned however - yes, HDMI and DVI use the same signalling, but HDMI only has a small set of resolutions that work, and some computer monitors insist on a set resolution on their DVI input. This means if you setup your HDMI output device (say a DVD or BluRay player) and hook it up to your PC monitor's DVI input, you may find that the DVD player can't output at a compatible resolution. When this happens, you either get no picture, or you get a resized picture that will look out of focus or distorted. Also be aware that HDMI colour profiles are different to computer colour profiles, so you may find the image is washed out. If this happens you need to adjust the black point and white point on the monitor, as well as brightness/contrast and colour - without all these controls, forget it, and just buy an LCD TV instead.

As for the other way around, DVI to HDMI, again you may experience issues, but these are not the cable. In my case, my PC needed to have a custom mode created at a resolution that suited my TV. Result, I can now play my PC games on my large 32" TV... but the quality is not as good as the VGA input. The reason for this is simple - the TV VGA input can be set to 1360x768, the exact resolution of the screen... but the HDMI input has to be 720p or 1080i, or 1080p, none of which match up exactly with the pixels on the TV, and the result is a scaled, and so slightly blurred, image. However, VGA cables are far thicker and not as easy to handle.

Conclusion - brilliant cable, but check your equipment's compatibility before you buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works with Raspberries, 1 Aug. 2012
Grabbed one of these so I could plug a HDMI device into my monitor which was DVI only. I was pleased to find that it was packaged in a simple amazon cardboard box - no horrible plastic packaging in sight!

The cable itself feels firm and unless I decide to continuously flex and strain the cable for a few years I can't see it breaking anytime soon.

After plugging one end into my Raspberry Pi and the other into my monitor, I saw an image. What else can i say? It works!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent low-tech solution to playing computer files on your television, 6 Feb. 2010
Peter (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been trying to find a decent way to display computer-based content on my HD television for some time now. I've tried various hi-tech solutions using wireless connections, USB media players and so on, but I have either found them to be unreliable or to not play some of the kinds of file I want to play. And all the time, I have been overlooking this simplest of all solutions - a cable that takes the video from my computer and displays it directly to my television. So anything that I can watch on the computer - any content my computer can cope with, including protected content - now appears on my television. My problem has been solved!

This cable connects a digital video output (DVI) on the back of your computer to an HDMI input on the back of your television. If you only have a VGA output on your computer, or if you only have SCART or composite video inputs on your television, this cable won't help you. Also note that some computer video cards don't send audio via the HDMI cable, although most modern ones should.

Quality is everything you'd expect. I had to adjust the screen resolution on my computer to match the capabilities of the television, but once I had done this, the image was crystal-clear. One thing to note is that although I can display my computer desktop on my Panasonic television, the television crops a small part of the desktop all the way round, so I can only see the top right-hand corner of the "Start" button, for example. It's not a big problem, just something to be aware of.

The cable can apparently also be used the other way round, to display television content (for example, from a hard disk recorder or DVD player) on a computer monitor. I haven't tried this.

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality and most importantly cheap!, 22 Dec. 2010
There is not much to say about a cable like this. It does what it is supposed to do, namely take a digital signal from a DVI port to an HDMI port. As the signal is digital, there is no need to pay any more for expensive cables, as there will be zero difference in picture quality. Also, the frustration free packaging is certainly welcome.

So to sum up:

-It does the job well
-It is fairly cheap
-Highly recommended

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Item But Be Careful, 28 Jun. 2010
The item itself is good quality and the packaging is much better.
But be careful if this fits the DVI socket on your desktop/laptop.
There are various types of DVI socket(DVI-I/DVI-D to name a few).
As far as I know, this is a DVI-I type which is what I had at the back of my laptop.
I purchased this and have tried to use this cable to connect to my Sony Bravia 40W5810 from my laptop with mixed results.
My laptop has Windows 7 so this might be due to the drivers but I had the same results when I tried using a laptop on Vista.
So main points...
1. Good product and packaging
2. Good quality product
3. Cannot do a plug-play to my tv as expected, always end up messing with my laptop display controls to get it to work
but sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't.Now I have figured out a way of getting it but still its not straightforward.
Do not know, if this is the tv or laptop or for that matter the cable itself.
Therefore 4 starts, until I find a easy way to connect using this cable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazon Basics 3M HDMI to DVI cable, 24 Feb. 2010
Amazon Customer - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It is quite a relief to discover that Amazon can supply the `haberdashery' of electronics as well as major kit because I usually end up on a trek to a specialist shop. It was also pleasing to note that the Basics range has a premium feel (robust branded glove to the connectors, gold finish on the metal and black cable). True, it is only a cable but attention to detail gives reassurance about underlying quality.

On which note, yes it works fine in connecting the HDMI out on my PC (which has only one DVI out) to a second DVI monitor. If you are considering adding a second monitor to your PC, a week in to discovering the pleasure of having a two monitor set up it is difficult to imagine how I managed before. Amazon seem to have most of the permutations of cable needed if you find as I did that you are short of a connection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not the cheapest on the market, 27 Jan. 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's good to see Amazon doing away with the packaging and the other unnecessary stuff that usually comes with cables such as this one. After all, you know what you are buying this cable for, so you don't need an instruction manual.
The name Basics scrawled all over the cable does suggest a cheap product, and although it does a perfectly good job I was slightly dubious as I wanted the best possible HD picture and I wasn't sure if this was going to give me that.
On the positive side, it still comes with a one year guarantee and the length of the cable is plenty long enough but not too much that it leaves you trying to tuck it away under something else.
The look and feel of the cable suggests anything but cheap. with gold plated connectors and it being sturdy in general, not like the cheap alternatives. As long as the cosmetic appearance of the name on the adaptors does not deter you (which it shouldn't) this is a perfect low budget cable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Cable, 15 Jan. 2015
Andy_F - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Excellent Cable.

When I buy something with the word Basic in it, I imagine that its a very cheap cable and not much more, I could not me more mistaken.

The cable appears to be top quality, there was no issues fitting the cable (DVI in) to my monitor and was held securely in place with the supplied thumb screws.

Equally the HDMI fitting was a good fit to my raspberry PI and laptop.

Perhaps I am just lucky, but I had no issues with resolution settings etc.

If you need this kind of cable,then why pay more.

Recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Now I can see my PC clearly on my TV, 21 Mar. 2014
I brought this cable to enhanced the very bad picture on the TV I go from My ATI 9550 located in my PC. I was using a VGA to S-Video active converter and the picture was just nasty. I knew it was not my TV but at the time it did the job for what we wanted.

I have to say the cable was well packed and I did not noticed any failure on this cable. It looks really good quality cable and for the price I pay I was very surprise.

The role of this old PC is to acts as Media PC in our Room. My TV is a samsung 32" with HDMI/DVI port on the right hand side. In short the TV accept this kind of cable, which I do believe may not be the case for all TVs.

When I set it up, I just had to configure the resolution (1240*1024) and the refresh rate (75 Hz) but my god the picture was crystal clear, HD resolution (1920 *1080) did not work well cause of my old Graphic card. If you have a more decent graphic card which has an HDMI port, you should be able to have a better resolution and the sound as well. For me I have a 5.1 speaker system hook to my PC so I really don't need the sound to go to my TV.

The only minus point for me is that I have to "modify" my case a bit for the cable to fit in. But again it's the case not the cable.

If you want to use this cable to display the content of your PC onto a TV, then yes this cable will do a better job than (adapter + HDMI cable). The only think you need to make sure is that your TV can accept PC resolution.

Also you can use the cable to attach your PC/Laptop (where your graphic card has an HDMI port) to a Monitor which does not have a HDMI port but a DVI port.

To conclude this review bear in mind this is a cable with not active converter part. Therefore if you can't get a good image quality on your TV, you may need to try on PC monitor first and see the result.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly good, 11 Feb. 2012
G. Oliveira - See all my reviews
Bought this cable based on the previous reviews and because the similar cables/adaptors where much more expensive and did not provide the cable lenght i was looking for (well, they did, but way too expensive), so i decided to give this one a try. I went from sceptic to very pleased. the quality of the cable it's pretty solid, love the connection points, the flexibility and the package where it came is a nice touch.