5.0 out of 5 stars Great item, but be warned if you're using a PC monitor
If you're getting bad image quality, DO NOT blame this cable. HDMI is digital, the cable can't make a picture "fuzzy" or "blurred", it just doesn't happen, it will be your equipment.

Published on 12 Feb. 2011 by M. CHARMAN

3.0 out of 5 stars Display works, kind of
I am running multi display with a FirePro W7000, only 1 display seems to be working fully, the others have funny resolution, what I mean by funny is that the monitor does go up to 1080p but everything is fuzzy, might be something wrong with the cables, going to try other manufactures to sort out the problem
Published 22 months ago by Bill

5.0 out of 5 stars Great item, but be warned if you're using a PC monitor, 12 Feb. 2011
M. CHARMAN (Portsmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: AmazonBasics HDMI to DVI Adapter Cable 3 m / 9.8 Feet (Electronics)

The quality of this cable is fine. It's not very heavy duty, and so wouldn't hold a lot oweight or survive a lotof pulling, but then we're not buying tow-cables, right? It transfers my PC image to another device completely perfectly, and vice-versa.

Be warned however - yes, HDMI and DVI use the same signalling, but HDMI only has a small set of resolutions that work, and some computer monitors insist on a set resolution on their DVI input. This means if you setup your HDMI output device (say a DVD or BluRay player) and hook it up to your PC monitor's DVI input, you may find that the DVD player can't output at a compatible resolution. When this happens, you either get no picture, or you get a resized picture that will look out of focus or distorted. Also be aware that HDMI colour profiles are different to computer colour profiles, so you may find the image is washed out. If this happens you need to adjust the black point and white point on the monitor, as well as brightness/contrast and colour - without all these controls, forget it, and just buy an LCD TV instead.

As for the other way around, DVI to HDMI, again you may experience issues, but these are not the cable. In my case, my PC needed to have a custom mode created at a resolution that suited my TV. Result, I can now play my PC games on my large 32" TV... but the quality is not as good as the VGA input. The reason for this is simple - the TV VGA input can be set to 1360x768, the exact resolution of the screen... but the HDMI input has to be 720p or 1080i, or 1080p, none of which match up exactly with the pixels on the TV, and the result is a scaled, and so slightly blurred, image. However, VGA cables are far thicker and not as easy to handle.

Conclusion - brilliant cable, but check your equipment's compatibility before you buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works with Raspberries, 1 Aug. 2012
Grabbed one of these so I could plug a HDMI device into my monitor which was DVI only. I was pleased to find that it was packaged in a simple amazon cardboard box - no horrible plastic packaging in sight!

The cable itself feels firm and unless I decide to continuously flex and strain the cable for a few years I can't see it breaking anytime soon.

After plugging one end into my Raspberry Pi and the other into my monitor, I saw an image. What else can i say? It works!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Item But Be Careful, 28 Jun. 2010
The item itself is good quality and the packaging is much better.
But be careful if this fits the DVI socket on your desktop/laptop.
There are various types of DVI socket(DVI-I/DVI-D to name a few).
As far as I know, this is a DVI-I type which is what I had at the back of my laptop.
I purchased this and have tried to use this cable to connect to my Sony Bravia 40W5810 from my laptop with mixed results.
My laptop has Windows 7 so this might be due to the drivers but I had the same results when I tried using a laptop on Vista.
So main points...
1. Good product and packaging
2. Good quality product
3. Cannot do a plug-play to my tv as expected, always end up messing with my laptop display controls to get it to work
but sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't.Now I have figured out a way of getting it but still its not straightforward.
Do not know, if this is the tv or laptop or for that matter the cable itself.
Therefore 4 starts, until I find a easy way to connect using this cable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazon Basics 3M HDMI to DVI cable, 24 Feb. 2010
Amazon Customer - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It is quite a relief to discover that Amazon can supply the `haberdashery' of electronics as well as major kit because I usually end up on a trek to a specialist shop. It was also pleasing to note that the Basics range has a premium feel (robust branded glove to the connectors, gold finish on the metal and black cable). True, it is only a cable but attention to detail gives reassurance about underlying quality.

On which note, yes it works fine in connecting the HDMI out on my PC (which has only one DVI out) to a second DVI monitor. If you are considering adding a second monitor to your PC, a week in to discovering the pleasure of having a two monitor set up it is difficult to imagine how I managed before. Amazon seem to have most of the permutations of cable needed if you find as I did that you are short of a connection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not the cheapest on the market, 27 Jan. 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's good to see Amazon doing away with the packaging and the other unnecessary stuff that usually comes with cables such as this one. After all, you know what you are buying this cable for, so you don't need an instruction manual.
The name Basics scrawled all over the cable does suggest a cheap product, and although it does a perfectly good job I was slightly dubious as I wanted the best possible HD picture and I wasn't sure if this was going to give me that.
On the positive side, it still comes with a one year guarantee and the length of the cable is plenty long enough but not too much that it leaves you trying to tuck it away under something else.
The look and feel of the cable suggests anything but cheap. with gold plated connectors and it being sturdy in general, not like the cheap alternatives. As long as the cosmetic appearance of the name on the adaptors does not deter you (which it shouldn't) this is a perfect low budget cable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Cable, 15 Jan. 2015
Andy_F - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Excellent Cable.

When I buy something with the word Basic in it, I imagine that its a very cheap cable and not much more, I could not me more mistaken.

The cable appears to be top quality, there was no issues fitting the cable (DVI in) to my monitor and was held securely in place with the supplied thumb screws.

Equally the HDMI fitting was a good fit to my raspberry PI and laptop.

Perhaps I am just lucky, but I had no issues with resolution settings etc.

If you need this kind of cable,then why pay more.

Recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly good, 11 Feb. 2012
G. Oliveira - See all my reviews
Bought this cable based on the previous reviews and because the similar cables/adaptors where much more expensive and did not provide the cable lenght i was looking for (well, they did, but way too expensive), so i decided to give this one a try. I went from sceptic to very pleased. the quality of the cable it's pretty solid, love the connection points, the flexibility and the package where it came is a nice touch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well with easy set up, 18 Jan. 2014
Shaun Dowdall "Shaun Dowdall" (York, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I've always been a little sceptical about these sorts of adapters but this works well and does exactly what I need. The length of the cable is fantastic, a very good length and it looks very durable. I've set mine up for an in store display and there is a long stretch between the display and media device so I needed something lengthy and reliable.

A great little product and well worth the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 10 Oct. 2012
Pretty thick cable, works as required. It is a bit expensive for a 'basics' cable though! Might be worth noting for anyone doing a dual screen setup, that HDMI and DVI colour profiles are ever so slightly different. So having one monitor on DVI-HDMI and one on HDMI-HDMI means they have slightly different colour shades. You can play with the colour profiles, but it doesn't bother me enough to bother ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Exact same item ... a fraction of the price, 15 Sept. 2012
So I just bought a new PC that happens to have HDMI where as my old PC had DVI. Bought the PC in PC World and looked at the price of the cable and was stunned to find they wanted £34.
I know cables can be risky to buy cheap as I remember buying a cheap component cable for my PS3 years ago only to find the picture had a ghost image, buy when I bought an official Sony one it gave me a perfect picture (although that cable was only about £15 or so, so it wasnt that expensive compared to this HDMI/DVI cable in PC World).
Anyway, back to the product at hand. Being gold plated with some good reviews I thought I would take the risk, and I am glad I did. The picture is perfect with no ghosting or fuzzy images, which means I get perfect high def imaging on my PC monitor.

The only issue I have with it is the DVI end is supposed to have two screws to fasten it to the PC, but they are missing. Not really a problem though as the plug is pretty tight, and I dont have a habit of moving my monitor a lot.