5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money
Arrived within 5 days of ordering by free postage. Using it to charge my iPad which it does no problem and the extra length enables me work in comfort. Similar product in PC World was £35.00
Published on 31 Mar. 2011 by David Kenyon

3.0 out of 5 stars Good quality but not suitable for charging mobile devices
I made the assumption that I would be able to use this cable as an extension for charging my mobile phone (Galaxy S3) since the charger is USB based. It seems that the voltage drop is too much and thus won't carry enough current to charge my phone.

Works great for a data, not for charging.
Published on 5 Nov. 2012 by Sonny

3.0 out of 5 stars Good quality but not suitable for charging mobile devices, 5 Nov. 2012

Works great for a data, not for charging.

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't use with a T-Mobile broadband dongle, 18 Aug. 2010
M. Shackleton (England) - See all my reviews
I bought this cable for use with a T-Mobile broadband dongle: it does not work for this purpose! I can only assume that the cable is not sufficiently shielded or the voltage drop is too great for this use. So I instead purchased a different (longer, 5m!) USB extension cable, also via Amazon, that turns out to work perfectly for what I need. You can find this alternative listed as: "USB A male to A Female Extension Cable 5m" by CDL Micro.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money, 31 Mar. 2011
David Kenyon (Coventry, UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars A high quality, sturdy lead., 5 Jan. 2011
I've just received my 3 metre USB extension lead and am very impressed. Don't let the Amazon 'basics' name fool you, this product is seriously good quality.

I opted for the Amazon version over those made by other manufacturers as the female socket has its own plastic casing, cheaper versions have the metal connector exposed which led me to question how long such a version would stand up to being bashed about a bit - traveling in my laptop bag. No such worries with the Amazon version.

I'm currently using the lead plugged into the back of my desktop computer, with my Microsoft wired USB mouse attached to it. It's functioning as normal, so the lead clearly works well.

Buy with confidence!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not very exciting, but brilliant at what it does!, 23 Jan. 2010
Mellow Yellow (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a very simple item which is designed to give you an extension to your USB cables. I use a wheelchair and my base unit is close to the floor and I cannot reach down that low to plug my ipod and camera in, so this has been a lifesaver and has prevented me from having to bend down. So many products come with short USB cables and this fixes that problem without slowing down the connection.

This is well made and looks like it will stand the test of time. I am VERY pleased with my lead and recommend it to anyone who is struggling with the ever increasing number of products with ridiculously short cables!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent cable, 25 Jan. 2010
ziggy_fan (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: AmazonBasics USB 2.0 A-Male to A-Female Extension Cable 3.3 Feet / 1.0 m (Personal Computers)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Does exactly what it's supposed to. No nonsense, excellent value for money, well made and clearly high quality connections. I have already put it to good use by connecting my external extra memory passport drive from its place in the storage drawer in my study, without having to take it out of the drawer, and connecting it to the laptop on my armchair in the same room. Easy peasy :-)

Other suggested uses for this USB cable extension, include:

- plugging in items you might own, from the new wave of electronic USB driven musical instruments, giving you more flexibility of position and mobility

- USB driven desktop gadgets

- More mobility/flexibility when plugging in your video or camera unit for downloading media to your computer or USB enabled DVD player/recorder and the new models of TV which have USB plug-in capability, and so on.

- many more I'm sure (feel free to add your suggestions as comments to this review)

3.0 out of 5 stars No power, 3 Nov. 2012
Kevin Forde - See all my reviews
First I bought the 3M version because I thought it'd be a great way to extend the charge cable for my Asus EEE Pad Transformer tablet. It didn't work.

The cable looks like it's decently made otherwise, which is why I gave it 2 stars and why I then purchsed this shorter version. Alas that doesn't work either for the intended purpose. :(

No doubt it'd work as a USB cable (which I guess is what it sells itself as, so in a way my review is unfair), but I think it should state clearly that it will not carry power/ will not work as a charger cable.

...Incidentally, I was also able to check this on a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 and it _did_ charge this tablet. I'm guessing at a lower rate than via the standard cable though, else why wouldn't it charge the Asus Tab? The 3M cable wouldn't charge the Samsung either.

So I'm giving this cable 3 stars even though it's near-useless to me personally.

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality, good value basics., 27 Jan. 2010
Hettie Lawrence (North Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an excellent quality cable, which functions perfectly, and has a nice design (black with the amazon logo in orange). Amazon Basics is a welcome range of high quality, reasonably priced computing basics and essentials which deserves to be very popular.

Just one criticism, not about the product itself but about the packaging. Frustration free packaging it may well be, but it's incredibly wasteful and has a huge carbon footprint. My cable, which measures 100cm long by 0.50cm thick, (and can be coiled around a little and fixed with an elastic band without damage) was delivered in a very large box, so large it came by parcel force van. When I saw the box I thought it was a huge encyclopaedia inside! Inside this large box was another, almost as large, box which contained the cable. I'm sure my little cable would have fitted perfectly into a jiffy bag, saving packaging and also fitting through my letterbox rather than being treated as a large package! If amazon sort out the issue of wasteful packaging, they have a perfect, truly award worthy range of high quality, affordable computing basics. Just make the packaging a bit more basic, too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful length, effective result, 30 Jan. 2010
Martin Turner "Martin Turner" (Marlcliff, Warwickshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an Amazon branded USB extension cable delivered in a box rather than an impossible to open blister pack. It functions well in extending the miserably short cables that come with, for example, the iPhone or the M-Audio 49 Key USB Midi Keyboard, being able to both transmit signal and deliver power. It functions substantially better than the BUS POWERED 5M ACTIVE USB EXTENSION CABLE I tested it against.

As time goes on, life fills up with more and more USB devices, and not all of them can be right next to your desktop or laptop. Even homes that had never heard of USB four years ago are going to benefit from this type of extension. Cameras, iPods, scanners, Uninterruptible Power Supplies, printers and music devices are all competing for space on your desk, which is made worse when they require their own power supply, as most printers do, encouraging you to plug more and more devices into an ever increasing number of mains power extensions. If you have any bulky USB devices, chances are a USB extension like this one will let you organise your computer in a way which is better suited to how you would like to work.

I tested this one with a MIDI keyboard and an iPhone -- two devices which are fairly demanding in their own way. There were no issues with either, and, importantly with the keyboard, there was no additional 'latency', when the notes on the computer come out a fraction of a second after you've played them. That's pretty good. I'm pleased with this cable, and feel confident I can rely on it.

Amazon makes a big deal about the 'frustration free' packaging, so a word on that. This cable arrives in a cardboard box, not in one of those plastic packages that you can only open with scissors and a bit of a fight, and which are then dreadful if you want to return an unsuitable product. This is a fairly intelligent piece of thinking by Amazon, since they would have put the plastic blister packaging in a box anyway to send it through the post. Not perhaps the most exciting development in the world, but it helps to reduce the impact on the environment. Good for them.

Good product, good packaging. Nothing else really to be said.

5.0 out of 5 stars A well made 1 metre USB2 extention lead - ideal for the PC or a Sony PS3, 2 Feb. 2010
Charlie-CJ (England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a standard USB2 [and USB1] extention lead. Plug one end into the USB2 socket and the other end of the lead has another USB2 socket to plug in your appliance's USB2 lead. As such this extention lead is ideal for attaching to any USB2 socket at the rear of the PC. The other end can be trailed round to the front of the PC to making the attachment of items such as MP3 players, iPODs and cameras much easier. Likewise you could use the lead to bring a USB wireless mouse radio tranmitter or wireless USB network adapter to a better location, or to extend a USB2 lead to say a nearby printer. And if you have a playstation PS3 you could use it to give a bit more length to the DualShock controller when using it during recharging.

Usefully this lead is about 107cm long. With its little Amazon insert this lead looks quite classy and well made, and importantly it comes in black so it matches the PS3 and most modern black PC cases [whereas Belkin's otherwise excellent branded leads, some with a fun LEDs, are generally only on offer in grey/orange colours - although these might be easier to spot lying on the desk].

This lead fits perfectly, is inexpensive, seems at least the equal of the Belkin leads, and works well. Plus the 'basics' packaging means you can extract it easily from it's thin plastic bag [rather than the usual fight with a tought sealed plastic pod]. It arrived well packed and promptly [in a big light cardboard box]. I suppose 5*, as it fits the bill perfectly.