5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent cable, with wasteful packaging
Firstly, the quality of the USB cable is excellent. If this is anything to go by I am going to buy AmazonBasic instead of branded products in the future!

Published on 25 Jan. 2010 by Mr. J. Ward

2.0 out of 5 stars Failed after 2 months
I know it's only a USB cable. I installed mine behind the dashboard of my car, which took a long time to reassemble, and it failed after a month. Perhaps it wasn't designed for in-car use. Looks nice though, with gold terminals.
Published on 10 Jun. 2011 by I. N.Visible

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent cable, with wasteful packaging, 25 Jan. 2010
Mr. J. Ward (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: AmazonBasics USB 2.0 A-Male to Mini-B Cable 1.8 m / 6 Feet (Personal Computers)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

However, the frustration-free packaging is a different issue. I thought that the box was way too big for just a cable, and surely a plastic wrapper in a standard sized amazon folder/package would be more than enough to protect the product. It just seems like such a waste (even though it is recyclable).

Although this is a major issue, the product itself deserves five stars. The cable feels thick enough to withstand daily usage and the gold plating on the connectors is an added bonus. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars A high quality interconnect, 1 Feb. 2010
James B. Spink "Jim" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
AmazonBasics USB 2.0 A-Male to Mini-B Cable (1.8 Metres) [Amazon Frustration-Free Packaging] is another interconnect in Amazon's range of quality connection cables. This cable shipped in just Amazon's Certified Frustration-Free Packaging with no outer box, unlike other cables I have received in this product range which came in additional huge outer packs!

The cable is well made and has a standard USB plug on one end and a mini USB B plug on the other, so is suitable for connecting peripherals such as cameras, satnavs and external hard-drives to your computer. I use mine mainly with a Buffalo external drive, which came supplied with a short, thin cable of not much use for anything, and my TomTom. This AmazonBasic is much more useful and of much higher quality and works perfectly. Although Amazon use the term basic in the description their range of cables are of very high quality and far from the cheapest available.

I now have three cables in the AmazonBasics range, all are of excellent quality and the range is one I am likely to consider first with any further purchases. A search for AmazonBasics in Electronics & Photo will show the current range on offer, which also includes CD and DVD blank discs. There are plenty of illustrations on the Amazon product page and an informative well illustrated Manufacturers Description which shows you exactly what you get for your money. The paperwork shown in the box is the warranty.

It's a cable, it's well made, it's fair value and comes in greenish packaging with Amazon's name onboard - `nuff said!

5.0 out of 5 stars A well made 1.8m mini-usb lead - ideal for the Sony PS3 as well, 21 Jan. 2010
Charlie-CJ (England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A few older cameras of mine use this mini-USB2 lead [although unfortunately all my new cameras seem to do their own thing and you end with a large collection of almost, but not quite, identical USB2 leads]. However I bought this lead for my sons new Sony PS3 250Gb slim games console, as Sony, rather miserably, don't provide a connection lead their PS3 dual-shock controller [when bought seperately for the PS3 as a second controller]. Usefully this lead is about 48cm longer than the standard Sony USB2 recharge lead, which gives a bit more freedom when using the controller in recharge mode [rather than wireless]. This lead naturally also fits the various extras like our Logitech PS3 wireless headset/mic that relies on the Sony USB ports for power/charge, and it looks identical the original PS3 one. With its little Amazon insert this lead looks quite classy and well made, and importantly it comes in black so it matches the PS3 [whereas my first choice Belkin's otherwise excellent leads, one with a fun LED, were only on offer in grey/orange colours and so were rejected for that reason alone].

This lead fits perfectly, is inexpensive, seems at least the equal of the Belkin leads, and works well. Plus the 'basics' packaging means you can extract it easily from it's thin plastic bag [rather than the usual fight with a tough sealed plastic pod]. It arrived well packed and promptly [in a big light cardboard box]. I suppose 5*, as it fits the bill perfectly - and being a standard mini-USB2 I can use the lead for my old cameras and 2.5" external laptop hard drive cases as well.

Note: this cable is not a newer 'micro-USB2' lead that has a flatter and curved small plug shape (a micro-USB2 cable fits my son's Blackberry Bold and my Performance MX mouse - rather than this leads old style straight sided trapesium shaped mini-USB2 plug that fits the PS3, many external 2.5" laptop hard-drive cases and some older cameras).

5.0 out of 5 stars Charge your PS3 wireless controller with this sturdy USB cable, 12 Mar. 2011
M. Lindsay (Renfrewshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This item is a fine replacement for the charging cable which comes as standard with Sony PS3 used for charging the wireless controller. It scores highly on price, build quality and also the length. Most cables with gold-plated plugs are a bit more expensive than this one. The little 'Amazon Basics' raised badge on the plug increases the perceived value and makes the cable more esoteric-looking. The plugs are well terminated and of solid construction, as is the cable which is subtantially thicker and stiffer than the Sony one. Where it really scores is that the plugs fit reassuringly snugly, with little or no play when in use. One major selling advantage I didn't even realise iniitially, was that the cable is a good bit longer than the original one ie. 1.8m instead of 1.2m. This means I can play the PS3 with the cable connected without moving closer than usual to the tv screen. It also means I now have a wider range of safe places to lay the controller down when charging but not in use. A simple solution to a problem not-previously obvious. Nice one Amazon; I will certainly look at the AmazonBasics range for other interconnects in future.
...now, how about some nice cheap, heavy multi-strand speaker cable, Amazon?

4.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it is supposed to do, 19 Feb. 2010
SBno1 - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I like the fact that Amazon are looking to send these cables in cardboard as opposed to plastic. The only drawback is that there was an inner and outer box that was so big it wouldn't fit through my letterbox. However, it is still more responsible than plastic blister packs.

I was tempted to rant that gold plating is just not necessary on digital cables (there is no gold plating in the socket and 99% of homes and offices don't suffer with corroding USB cables), but at the price these are being sold at, you would be hard pushed to find cheaper non-gold plated cables.

The lead is a good length and sufficient quality to maintain power enough to run my 2.5 inch drive without the need for a secondary power lead. Usually longer leads have a power drain, especially with thinner internal copper wire, but this lead has not let me down yet (over 1 month daily use)

The cable has a slight stiffness to it that will allow it to be fed up through desk cable holes and is long enough to reach from computers under a desk with room to maneuver on the desk.

Overall there is a good quality feel to the cable, it appears to be robust and the price is just right.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fair product at a fair price, 30 Jan. 2010
R. F. Stevens "richard23491" (Ickenham UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This 1.8m USB to mini-B cable matches the product description.

+ The moulded strain relief is good between connectors and cable.
+ The contacts are gold plated.
+ The cable is anonymous black with AmazonBasics added to the type description.

- No RFI filter carbuncle. (Normally these are fitted on cables supplied by OEMs).
- The featured frustration-free cardboard box packaging is overkill, a jiffy bag would do.

It works; my camera transfers pics as fast as normal, the extra length over the original, 1.8m cf 1.2m, is useful.

The frustration-free box does not fit through my generous letter box, and the cable was rattling around loose inside the oversized box. It would be better protected in a smaller jiffy bag.

The price seems fair for the quality; I have paid less in a shop (ie less p&p), and also seen much more expensive cables.

Only four stars because of the much-vaunted packaging being inappropriately big, and no RFI filter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what your looking for!, 2 Dec. 2010
The packaging as stated is Amazon's hassle free packaging, so I was not surprised getting the box and essentially being able to plug in and play right away (As opposed to getting a pair of scissors like the standard packaging).

I haven't had time to test the cable with benchmarks but the cable is pretty thick compared to the standard types of cables I received with PS3's, eBooks, and so on which adds a sense of quality to the purchase. They are extremely robust and are the connectors are the same size as any other usb (So they do not get in the way of other ports). They were so cheap that I purchased 4!( I seemed to somehow mysteriously lose all my old cables) These haven't let me down one bit!

Stated by another reviewer; slightly longer than the standard PS3 controller cable that comes with the PS3, which I did not expect. So nothing more than a win-win situation if you take the price under consideration!

Quality: 5/5
Price: 5/5
Performance: 5/5

Average: 5/5 ! Just can't fault them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Robust design and good price, 10 April 2011
Mark Pack (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
There's not much you can say about a cable (ooh! look at the black on that...), but this cable does what you need it do to and, in my experience so far, is pretty robust in design. That's very useful for a USB cable that's likely to be plugged, unplugged and moved around quite a lot. The price is also very competitive with what I've seen in the high street.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb quality cable and PS3 compatible, 13 Feb. 2011
A. Croft (Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
I originally purchased this cable to use with an portable hard drive I have but soon found myself using it to charge my PS3 controllers. I have read in other reviews of different USB cables that they don't charge the controllers but I can confirm that this cable does not have those issues. It works flawlessly.

The cable itself comes with gold plated connectors on both ends and as such reduces any interference that may be caused from other devices. I was sceptical at first at buying from the AmazonBasics range but this has showed me that when having these products manufactured, Amazon do not compromise on quality. I will definitely consider in the future cables from the AmazonBasics range should I need more

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a long USB to mini-USB cable that works, 10 Jun. 2013
I bought this to power a sat nav on my motorcycle - it does that fine. It's a decent thickness cable giving confidence it'll last as I have run it from under the saddle of my bike, forwards with an existing wiring loom to the dashboard area where it will stay permanently installed. I use it with a TomTom cigarette-lighter-style charger to power my TomTom Urban Rider sat nav, which it does fine. I can see why people talk about the mini-USB end being a bit un-tight in the socket, but I ran the cable in such a way as to remove any tension from the cable at the plug-in end and it stays put no problem.

Good value, does the job.